Stuck bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
So I?m a dumbass. Actually I?m a dumbass multiple times over. I was screwing my drivers seat back in and the bolt didn?t go in correctly but I didn?t stop turning it when I should have. The head broke off, leaving what?s left of the bolt stuck in the hole with nothing to grab on to. I drilled it and got a screw extractor in it, but after a couple of turns the extractor also broke off (that?s what you get for buying the cheap black & decker extractors). Now the extractor is in the screw and there is still nothing to grab to try to turn it out. I?m also unable to drill it again because the extractor is too hard to drill through. AARRRRGGG. Any ideas? I suppose I could go through the back but it would mean removing the fuel tank (at least) just to get to it. I tried to attach a pic but I?m not sure you can see much in it.

Attachments

• IMG_6114.jpg
    IMG_6114.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 40
We have all been a dumb ass at one point or another. I would try to get the extractor out first, either by breaking it to piece (hardened metal is brittle) and if you can get it all out - than try drilling the bolt out using a small bit and work your way up with bigger and bigger bits.

Another way is to weld another bolt to the old one and try to thread it out.

Good luck

Mike

The weld method is actually quite good. BUT, I wouldn't worry about bolting that seat back on there. Just use the front hinge area. I don't bolt my seats back on at all. It's not like it's going anywhere once it's clicked into place.

Sean

I use Sean's method since spring of '08 and see no reason to go back to bolting it on.It makes it easier to do maintenance and to pour seafoam into the tank as needed.

huh. Good deal. I just figured that it would slide around without the bolts, but I guess the center section locks it in anyway. Thanks for the tip

I use Sean's method since spring of '08 and see no reason to go back to bolting it on.It makes it easier to do maintenance and to pour seafoam into the tank as needed.

DOH! and here I thought I was being quite clever by attaching a large diameter slushy straw to a funnel to add Seafoam! All I had to do was remove the darn seat! (which is NOT bolted anyway!!) :bang head:

DOH! and here I thought I was being quite clever by attaching a large diameter slushy straw to a funnel to add Seafoam! All I had to do was remove the darn seat! (which is NOT bolted anyway!!) :bang head:

I just open the hatch and pour in the Seafoam... :confused2:

I just open the hatch and pour in the Seafoam... :confused2:

I know myself well enough to know that if I tried that I would end up with 1/4 of the can in the tank and 3/4 in the rubber gusset!!:rofl_200:

I know myself well enough to know that if I tried that I would end up with 1/4 of the can in the tank and 3/4 in the rubber gusset!!:rofl_200:

me too, I just use a funnel. hah

Put your finger/thumb over the end of the bottle until you get it close to position (if you can). Otherwise the seat takes about 2 seconds if it's not bolted in.

sean

Back