Stumble pop!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
So...

I went out for a late night cruise the other night.

The air was cool, the roads were empty. It was perfect!

Except I had a deceleration pop. This started a week ago when a bunch of us locally got together and did some card tuning and installed some parts.
One of the guys had a smaller can we wanted to put on my bike (I have a 180 foot hindle can and had a nice chopped one).

My can would not come off for the life of me. People were pulling, twisting, soft-hammering it. Nothing. But it did create an exhaust leak.

The pop started immediately after this. I had the pop when I got the bike, and i had to re-install with new gaskets to fix it.

So - back to the cruise.

The pops got a little worse, so I decided to head home. The exhaust note even changed. It sounded like shit and popped a lot.
It felt fine at idle but just as I accelerated - it sounded like ass - then would accelerate ok in the higher rpms.

I took off the exhaust (and it was really loose in two sections) and re-installed it with fresh RTV sealant.

I am letting the RTV cure for the next 24 hours.

Wish me luck!

Aloha,
Have you used RTV before??? The reason I'm asking is cuz I have supertrapps & on decel the right side pops. Seems to be just rt side, there are no gaskets for these pipes. Don't like the poping but bike runs GREAT & idles & everything just pops. Don't like it. Don

I'm not sure RTV will hold up. The red hi-temp stuff is rated to 450 degrees, and parts of the exhaust easily reach that. All the other "colors" are rated to 300 degrees I believe.

I used JB Weld once on a lawnmower engine exhaust that got a hole in it after something fell on it. It worked, but gave off this nasty odor when it got hot. Took several hours for it to finally stop stinking, though you'd probably never notice moving on a bike. Make sure you give it a full 24 hours to set up and fully dry.

Popping on decel makes me think you were now running lean/hot, though it must have been a pretty significant leak to cause that much change in back-pressure. Might want to check plugs to see how it was burning. The Briggs engine in my minibike used to "pop" when you let off the gas after I installed a custom exhaust instead of the super restrictive(quiet) stock one. It ran lean, but not really dangerously so. I took a piece of wire and "scraped" the jet a bit to make it ever so slightly bigger, and the popping stopped.

Permatex ultra copper is rated -75 to 700deg F I'm using it on my downtubes for my Kerker system. So far no problems since the install last year.

No sealer need for Marks although I did put a little anti-seize in there for easier disassembly when/if needed

i know sean recommends 100% silicone. that holds the heat fine and i put a bead around all my joints.

def sounds like an exhaust leak is causing your popping bro.

Well, no luck.

Seems something else is wrong with the max.

The only thing else done to it was spark plugs....

This is crappy as I am planning on riding to Port Dover in a couple weeks...

the red high temp silicon will be fine, been using it on exhausts for a long time, on sled stinger pipes right out of the port, on car headers, dirt bikes and even its used on very hot parts on turbine engines to hold wires as everything else would melt. So if thats all you need go for it it wont burn of and will seal up your leak.

Latest posts

Back