Stupid question....oil amount?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
New to me vmax is getting an oil change tonight....and I must admit to being somewhat retarded. I suppose there aren't any stupid questions right????

How much oil does this thing get? The manual says 3.7 qts for periodic change, 4.0 for change w/new oil filter, and 5.0 total. WTF? I'm putting in a new filter. I suppose it's 4 qts; 5 seems like a lot for a mc engine. Why must the manual be confusing?

My owners manual shows 3.7 qts for periodic and
4.0 with oil filter replacment. If i remember correctly
I put 4 qts in with a filter replacment and had to
drain a bit out.

New to me vmax is getting an oil change tonight....and I must admit to being somewhat retarded. I suppose there aren't any stupid questions right????

How much oil does this thing get? The manual says 3.7 qts for periodic change, 4.0 for change w/new oil filter, and 5.0 total. WTF? I'm putting in a new filter. I suppose it's 4 qts; 5 seems like a lot for a mc engine. Why must the manual be confusing?

Download a service manual from the links page . :punk:

I just did mine the other day. With a filter change, it was just under 4 quarts. After about 3 quarts, let bike run for a couple a seconds then add to top of sight glass or just under.

Download a service manual from the links page . :punk:

I have the service manual. It said 4qts. Wonder why the users manual gives a total oil capacity of 5qts? I just got finished with the change, took just under 4qts to get to the top of the fill window. I went ahead and tried the Rotella T. I see it mentioned on every forum, figured it was worth a try.

I put new plugs in it too. It's missing out a bit at idle, and sheds RPM's. With the new plugs it's holding idle, and seems quite a bit smoother on the bottom end....I didn't know it was rough until it was smooth!

I have the service manual. It said 4qts. Wonder why the users manual gives a total oil capacity of 5qts? I just got finished with the change, took just under 4qts to get to the top of the fill window. I went ahead and tried the Rotella T. I see it mentioned on every forum, figured it was worth a try.

I put new plugs in it too. It's missing out a bit at idle, and sheds RPM's. With the new plugs it's holding idle, and seems quite a bit smoother on the bottom end....I didn't know it was rough until it was smooth!

How many miles on it Duckman? Might be time for some Seafoam in the tank...could be idle circuits getting gummed up.

danny

How many miles on it Duckman? Might be time for some Seafoam in the tank...could be idle circuits getting gummed up.

danny

9200+ miles. It got a dose of Seafoam as well. I don't really care if it was the plugs or the seafoam...a fix is a fix! I've had it for 6 days and 500 miles....really enjoying her so far.

I just did mine the other day. With a filter change, it was just under 4 quarts. After about 3 quarts, let bike run for a couple a seconds then add to top of sight glass or just under.

both of my max's were ALWAYS around 3.75 quarts with a filter change! i go right to the middle of the eye glass. getting too much near the top i've found, causes oil to come out the airbox... i can't imagine anyone using a full 4 (i did once and had to drain a lot out) let alone 5. i can't be the only one...:confused2:

The total oil amount is 4.2 US quarts , 3.5 IMP quarts , 4 litres - it states this in the Vmax service manual .:punk:

Well, that explains my mysterious....not so mysterious oil leak now. The mechanic put in too much. The engine is purging the excess.

Great.....just great.

Use a syringe and a piece of hose, and suck some out until you see the level in the window..

Or just open the drain plug and let some out, then top it up to the right level.

Thanks Naughty, it seems to have worked itself out. I guess 1100 miles will do that....LOL.

No more drips on the floor. The window is still full, but it seems to have self corrected. Now I know what that little hole in the boot is for.

Okay, not so upset any more at the weird Japanese engineers. Good job boys.

When I look at the oil window to see if I should add more oil or not, the bike should be standing straight up and not on the sidestand, right? I just changed my oil and filter. Put a gallon of Rotella in and now it seems as though my clutch is harder to shift. I couldn't imagine that I'd need MORE oil.

Bike oil level is checked with bike upright and not leaning.

Sean

even having the bike on the center stand u gotta be careful of the ground its on. thought my carport was level, but when i got to dannys i checked there in his garage and i was wicked low on oil, got home an dthen it looked really high. moral of the story, don't just have it not leaning, also check front to back lean

Back