Supertrapp Disk Tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HammerZR-1

Reaction score
I just bought a '98 Vmax with Supertrapps. Just curious if anybody has played with the number of disks on these? The bike is stock except for a K & N Filter. Thanks for any help.

I just bought a '98 Vmax with Supertrapps. Just curious if anybody has played with the number of disks on these? The bike is stock except for a K & N Filter. Thanks for any help.

I just recently installed a set of S-trapps on my 07. It has 8 discs per side with a K&N filter, NGK iridium plugs. I also adjusted the pilot mixture 3 turns out and synched the carbs "they were out of synch quite a bit from the factory :ummm:" I still may need to install a stage1 jet kit, but for now it runs better than ever with quicker throttle response and the discs are staying within tuning specs, according to Supertrapp. Be sure to check out their website for additonal info. http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp

Enjoy,
Clay

I just recently installed a set of S-trapps on my 07. It has 8 discs per side with a K&N filter, NGK iridium plugs. I also adjusted the pilot mixture 3 turns out and synched the carbs "they were out of synch quite a bit from the factory :ummm:" I still may need to install a stage1 jet kit, but for now it runs better than ever with quicker throttle response and the discs are staying within tuning specs, according to Supertrapp. Be sure to check out their website for additonal info. http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp

Enjoy,
Clay

No you don't... Not for slip-ons you don't...

You should be pretty good where you have it...

No you don't... Not for slip-ons you don't...

You should be pretty good where you have it...

Thanks Chris:thumbs up: I'll call it good for now. I will tell ya this, I love the sound of the S-trapps and the fact that they are 4-2. Personally, I'm not a big fan of 4-1 on a Vmax:whistlin: But then again, I'm still waiting to hear the 4-2 Holeshots in person:worthy:

Thanks Chris:thumbs up: I'll call it good for now. I will tell ya this, I love the sound of the S-trapps and the fact that they are 4-2. Personally, I'm not a big fan of 4-1 on a Vmax:whistlin: But then again, I'm still waiting to hear the 4-2 Holeshots in person:worthy:

Kerker 4-1 with 2.5" comp baffle is the best sounding...:worthy:

The nice thing about the S/T's and most other full systems is you can keep the center stand... :thumbs up:

Mine aren't quiet but not as loud as a Kerker comp baffle at highway speeds...:surprise:

Enjoy,
Clay

I was running 12 discs per side with the open end caps till I bought my HMF system.Stock jetting just a little richer on the a/f screws.

I previously had an '89 Max with the Supertrapps and open end caps. They are next on my list of things to buy. They sounded really good when I got on it. Where is a good place to get them?

Sounds like I am about right. 24500 miles on it so I am getting the carbs synced and the valves adjusted in the spring.

Thanks guys.

I previously had an '89 Max with the Supertrapps and open end caps. They are next on my list of things to buy. They sounded really good when I got on it. Where is a good place to get them?

Sounds like I am about right. 24500 miles on it so I am getting the carbs synced and the valves adjusted in the spring.

Thanks guys.

I know Dennis Kirk sells the open end caps. Do a websearch. There are quite a few distributors of Supertrapp products and the prices vary. Good Luck!

Well I ordered the open end caps from a bike shop in Meridian, Idaho. they should be here next week. I am looking forward to this. Anybody presently running these? How many disks are you running if so? I am curious, as another guy mentioned, does it matter how many disks to run with the open end caps?
Thanks

With no discs and open end caps only it was too restrictive. I ran 4-6 discs with the open end caps.

Mark

for stock max..would the standard 4 inch trapp work the best

Well I ordered the open end caps from a bike shop in Meridian, Idaho. they should be here next week. I am looking forward to this. Anybody presently running these? How many disks are you running if so? I am curious, as another guy mentioned, does it matter how many disks to run with the open end caps?
Thanks

8 with the open ends will be fine. I bought the 6 pck of discs too and ran 11 with the open caps.

Enjoy,
Clay

Clay,
Are the pilot mixture screws the same screws used during synching? Just curious.
Thanks, Scott

Clay,
Are the pilot mixture screws the same screws used during synching? Just curious.
Thanks, Scott

No Scott. The carb synch adjustment screws are entirely different from the pilot-air fuel mixture. Check out the VMF links above. Click on the button and the "factory service manual" is available for down load. Or several other sites have some carb 101 info as well. Good luck!

:cheers:
Clay

Check out the VMF links above. Click on the button and the "factory service manual" is available for down load. Or several other sites have some carb 101 info as well. Good luck!
Clay

Ata boy Clay! :thumbs up: Using the links we have setup for ya'll! :clapping:

How many disks do you run on your SuperTrapp?

Hello all...

just my new v-max:eek:h yeah: and it has a Supertrapp (I believe metric) slipons. I don't think it has any disks or a cover on it . I was going to get a black solid cover (to go with the black pipes) but wasn't sure how many disks would be a good idea. I heard 9 - 12 is a good number and play from there.

Right now, without a cover and disks (i think no disks, will know for sure once i get home and take out the bolts to see if there are any), it is really loud and I don't need/want it that way. I don't need any more tickets.

So anyways, what do you guys ride? I saw a post that a guy had some performance issues with less than 8 disks.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How many disks do you run on your SuperTrapp?

Hello all...

just my new v-max:eek:h yeah: and it has a Supertrapp (I believe metric) slipons. I don't think it has any disks or a cover on it . I was going to get a black solid cover (to go with the black pipes) but wasn't sure how many disks would be a good idea. I heard 9 - 12 is a good number and play from there.

Right now, without a cover and disks (i think no disks, will know for sure once i get home and take out the bolts to see if there are any), it is really loud and I don't need/want it that way. I don't need any more tickets.

So anyways, what do you guys ride? I saw a post that a guy had some performance issues with less than 8 disks.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully this will help you. My 07 has 8 discs with end caps, stock main jets, F.A. mixture set at 3-1/4 out and a K&N air filter. It's not real loud, just a nice rumble. Had it dynoed last summer and it was running just a "little" rich during mid range even though I thought it was running well. Morley advised me to change the main jets to 147.5 to lean it up just a bit and get more throttle response and he was right. FWIW...8 discs do seem to be the magic number with the Vmax and Trapps. If you want to order discs and caps try www.Denniskirk.com Reasonable prices, quick shipping and excellent service.

Latest posts

Back