Swingarm Problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lee-

Reaction score
I cannot get the swingarm mounting bolts (pins?) out. They have only been in 1 year and I installed them with hand tools.

Give me some hints on how to remove them. :bang head:

Attachments

• Swingarm Bolt1 (1936 x 1296).jpg
    Swingarm Bolt1 (1936 x 1296).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Swingarm Bolt2 (1936 x 1296).jpg
    Swingarm Bolt2 (1936 x 1296).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 45
Lefty loosey?

penetrating fluid?

Air impact?

Bigger wrenchs?

Hmm... Lefty loosey... is that new? :ummm:

I do not have an air impact wrench. I do have the type that you smash with the hammer though. I will try that too.

What do you mean with bigger wrenches? I am using my T-handle reinforced-grip 6mm allen wrench.

Thanks Shawn!

Hmm... Lefty loosey... is that new? :ummm:

I do not have an air impact wrench. I do have the type that you smash with the hammer though. I will try that too.

What do you mean with bigger wrenches? I am using my T-handle reinforced-grip 6mm allen wrench.

Thanks Shawn!

Slip a 6mm box end wrench over it to offer up more persuasion...:thumbs up:

T handles give no torque.Try a regular allen wrench. I have the extra long ones and the socket allens.I only use t handles for quick easy things.

T handles give no torque.Try a regular allen wrench. I have the extra long ones and the socket allens.I only use t handles for quick easy things.

Same here, but a wrench on one mounted close to the bolt works great if you don't have the others...:thumbs up:

I cannot get the swingarm mounting bolts (pins?) out. They have only been in 1 year and I installed them with hand tools.

Give me some hints on how to remove them. :bang head:

Apparently you need my old ugly stock swingarm in trade for your sweet looking custom one, then it will come right off...:whistlin:...

..... it was worth a try!! :biglaugh:

Apparently you need my old ugly stock swingarm in trade for your sweet looking custom one, then it will come right off...:whistlin:...

It's always worth a try!

How much does that arm weigh? I would love to compare to stock weight.:hmmm:

Believe it or not, but I am actually removing (trying to anyway) that Otec arm. The BSM exhaust canister mounts do not fit past it.

I will be installing my DEGET noched and braced swingarm instead. Still nice, but not Otec.

Lee, I use a hex socket (either a 8 OR 10 mm) with a short extension and 3/8" socket driver. This should do it. Are you using stock pivot bolts or aftermarket stainless ones?

Mike

Attachments

• 1378pic.jpg
    1378pic.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 3
Lee, I use a hex socket (either a 8 OR 10 mm) with a short extension and 3/8" socket driver. This should do it. Are you using stock pivot bolts or aftermarket stainless ones?

Mike

They are aftermarket bolts and both sides have a 6mm hex. I do also have a 3/8" 6mm hex socket. By using that I was nearly successful in making the hex into a nice round hole.

I am ready for round #2 tonight after work.

Thanks!

loosen the opposite side and take the tension off.

Sean

Sean,

I have the swingarm supported by a board. Both sides are completely unmoveable. The swingarm moves up and down with absolutely no binding just as smooth as silk.

As I said before round #2 is tonight after work.

I am pretty sure that I will be needing new bolts after this evening though.

Thanks!

Even after 6-43 of VMX12H(C)???

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

Page 282 of 405 (First Chapter)

Is there a locking allen on the right ???

Should fall right out :confused2: almost.

Not sure what you are asking about with the 6-43.

I have already removed the nut and the lock washer. There is not a locking allen on the right. These are aftermarket pivot pins BTW.

Thanks!

I hate to say this, but it sounds like they maybe cross threaded - if hex is now rounded - only other option that I can think of is to weld the nut back on and use an air/electric impact driver to remove

Mike

Agree w MaxCruz..I had the Maerz aftermarket pins and test fitted them before using...they were so tight (they are slightly oversized) you could not install them without hitting them into the SA bearing. Since I discovered this I did'nt use them. Sounds like they are frozen in the bearing like I witnessed. If this is the case I don't know how you would get them out without damage to frame or SA

Well folks I tried all of the suggested tricks offered. Nothing worked.

Just for everyone's information the hex on the right side is not rounded out totally. It is just deformed. The pins are also not cross threaded.

I believe that I will just have to weld the nuts on somehow and get them out that way. Sheesh!

Oh well, it's too cold to ride anyway. -6C and frosty! That is the garage temperature too!

Tomorrow is another day, and the weekend is just around the corner.

Well folks I tried all of the suggested tricks offered. Nothing worked.

Just for everyone's information the hex on the right side is not rounded out totally. It is just deformed. The pins are also not cross threaded.

I believe that I will just have to weld the nuts on somehow and get them out that way. Sheesh!

Oh well, it's too cold to ride anyway. -6C and frosty! That is the garage temperature too!

Tomorrow is another day, and the weekend is just around the corner.

If you have a set of torches, just cherrying them up a few times. If it's seized in the bearing, this may help.

Latest posts

Back