Syncing Left and Right Carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walktheline

Reaction score
I started to sync the carbs this morning and I got 1 & 2 synchronized, and 3 & 4 synchronized, but I ran out of play on the L - R sync adjustment. Any Ideas? Would a sticky V-boost cause this? I do hear the servo actuating when I turn the bike on.

Brad

never sync my carbs yet put how did you sync number 2 carb though you only sync 1 ..3 and 4

#2 is the master carb, it has no adj screw. You sync #1 to #2, then #3 to #4, then #3 & #4 to #1 & #2.

danny

That is the order that I followed, it is the last step that I am asking about, the 3 & 4 to 1 & 2, sorry if I did not explain my troubles adequately.

Any ideas???

Brad

Im definately no carb guru but there are three tension springs, one per adjuster, that are installed right behind the sync adjuster screws. The only thing holding them there is a raised boss on one end. I would look to see if those are still there. See picture.

Attachments

• IMG026.jpg
    IMG026.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 46
Make sure no air leaks and the carbs are fully seated in the boots and clamps tight.

I did check to make sure there were no leaks, even took a little starting fluid (eeks) and sprayed around the boots - everything looked good.

Here is some more info:

I am using a motion pro to sync the carbs, it does not have any values on the column (of course it is all relative since you calibrate it to one cylinder) so I used a vacuum gauge to measure the vacuum at ~ 800rpm idle.

Carbs 1 & 2 - 4.5 - 4.8"
Carbs 3 & 4 - 6.8 - 7.0"

This is with an old vacuum gauge ( I used one of the lines off the motion pro because I needed the restrictor to get a good vacuum reading). It is idling smoothly, has a little hesitation when you blip the throttle.

When I synced the carbs I had the idle at ~1200rpm (I have not measured the vacuum at that speed).

Brad

Would the idle screws have any bearing on the vacuum at idle? I am thinking that the screw just determines the mixture, but would not necessarily decrease the vacuum.
I hooked the sync tool on at a 800 rpm idle, the results were the same, the right cabs are in sync and the left are, but there is a difference between the sides.
Thanks everyone for your help thus far.
Brad

It does a little bit. If you richen vacuum goes down a bit, lean it (screw tighten) and vacuum will raise a tad.

If it were me I'd be thinking about a cleaning session at this point. At the very least a "shotgun" just to see if that helps any.

OK, whats the deal with the peashooter and the shotgun - I have seen mention to this in several threads:ummm:
I went to the idle circuit cleaning sticky thread, but the link is dead.

I have 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank now.

The brass screws are already drilled out, but I have not messed with the idle screws myself.

Thanks for the help

Brad

OK, whats the deal with the peashooter and the shotgun - I have seen mention to this in several threads:ummm:
I went to the idle circuit cleaning sticky thread, but the link is dead.

I have 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank now.

The brass screws are already drilled out, but I have not messed with the idle screws myself.

Thanks for the help

Brad

What link is dead, the shotgun link?

Latest posts

Back