T-boost wiring question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misiek93

Reaction score
I just got my t-boost and it came with the 3 position switch. Here's how it is currently wired.
UP - 3K boost activation
center - boost completely off
DOWN - 6K boost activation (stock setting)

I have two issues: a. I don't really care for the center position (boost completely off) and b. the switch that comes with the kit is crap IMO, plus I want in on my handlebars so I can activate it with my left thumb.

I got a two way switch that is just on/off. Here's what I want it to be
ON - 3K boost activation
OFF - 6K boost activation (stock setup)

So my question is this: how do I rewire the kit, do I just disconnect the middle wire from the switch (since center is boost completely off)?

Here are pictures of the 3 position switch that came with the kit and the 2 position switch I want to use.

Attachments

• Tboost with 3 way switch.jpg
    Tboost with 3 way switch.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2 way switch.jpg
    2 way switch.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 17
That makes sense to me but I am not a wiring expert. I would think you can buy a toggle switch for it. I was actually wanting to do this my self, still kinda do honestly.

What you need to do is get a multimeter and test what happens to the connections of the Tboost switch in the 3 positions.

You should be able to use your 2-way switch, by having two of the 3 wires of the t-boost kit permanently connected (6k boost) and one of those and the third (3k boost) connected to your two way switch, but I'm unsure whether that will work as you may need a 3-pole two-way switch, where in one position two wires connect (center wire and 6k) and in the other position the other two wires (center wire and 3k).

What you need to do is get a multimeter and test what happens to the connections of the Tboost switch in the 3 positions.

You should be able to use your 2-way switch, by having two of the 3 wires of the t-boost kit permanently connected (6k boost) and one of those and the third (3k boost) connected to your two way switch, but I'm unsure whether that will work as you may need a 3-pole two-way switch, where in one position two wires connect (center wire and 6k) and in the other position the other two wires (center wire and 3k).
I think I see what you're saying. Another words once I find the wire on the switch that activates at 3K (that's easy) that needs to go the the 2 way switch, the other two wires spliced together? Is that what you mean by "permanently connected"?

In your opinion what is the probablity of me buring up the t-boost kit by doing that? If it's high I might just keep things the way they are and use the 2 way switch as my manual fan switch.

That makes sense to me but I am not a wiring expert. I would think you can buy a toggle switch for it. I was actually wanting to do this my self, still kinda do honestly.
Thought about doing this myslef, got the wiring diagram and all the part numbers too but I just went with the kit becuase that way I'm sure all the resistors are wired correctly and it's pretty much a plug and play set up. If I was to do this myselft I would have to cut into my wiring harness but it would be a lot cheaper. To me it was worth the extra $$$ to have a plug and play kit.

In your opinion what is the probablity of me buring up the t-boost kit by doing that? If it's high I might just keep things the way they are and use the 2 way switch as my manual fan switch.

I would have to double check the wiring to be sure but I think it's safest to keep it as is and use the 2-way as a fan switch - you'll find yourself using that a LOT more than switching t/v-boost.

I would have to double check the wiring to be sure but I think it's safest to keep it as is and use the 2-way as a fan switch - you'll find yourself using that a LOT more than switching t/v-boost.
I emailed the guys that make the kit, see what they say. If it's something easy than I can do it myslef but if it's more involved I won't bother with it. As you can tell I'm not to confident in my electrical abilities :biglaugh: I can wire up simple gauges and stuff like that but once you start throwing in different switches, extra wires and such it gets too complicated very quickly.

Thanks for your help.

No worries, but as I said remember that once the novelty of the Tboost wears off, you won't be switching it all that often I reckon, whereas the fan switch is something you really want on the handlebars, IMHO.

No worries, but as I said remember that once the novelty of the Tboost wears off, you won't be switching it all that often I reckon, whereas the fan switch is something you really want on the handlebars, IMHO.
Good point.

Hello, I bought the kit myself and had my mechanic install it. He installed it as it was made to plug in and then after playing with it I simply deleted the 3-way toggle switch, the same as yours, by leaving it to the 3K boost setting and tucking it in behind cover at the top of the forks. The gas mileage dropped a lot but it is just normal the feel of it always being on. This was like 10 years ago now and I still have the bike and it runs perfectly nothing has changed. I prefer the instant feel rather than waiting for it to come in. The launch of the bike is what gets the others every time and without the hesitation of the v-boost kicking in it definitely makes a difference. That is my 1993 model and I have a 2005 Anniversary edition that is numbered and is stock and it cannot keep up with it. I have run them together with a friend, who isn't scared of the power either, and saw the difference. So i know the difference is real. It's not a HUGE difference but a significant enough difference on a bike that already has a crazy launch. My friend has a 2013 V-Rod with the sports package and some work he added to it. We lined them up to see the difference and he started pulling me hard in I believe 3rd gear but then quickly leveled out. He could not gain enough from the launch to get up to me. In Approximately a 1/4 mile I had him by 8 -10 bike lengths. So maybe not the answer of how to rewire it but some advice on if you even should. Happy riding!

Back