Tach conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuclear Banana

Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked 100 times, but here it goes.

I'm wanting to put a 5in monster tach on the bike. I want the Autometer tach with shift light, but I cant find one that is adjustable down to a 2 cylinder application so I can tie straight into the factory tach lead.

I'm just trying to do as little rewiring as possible.

Does anyone have a part number of a monster tach I'm looking for that will tie directly into my factory tach lead?

Next question...... If I have to go with a Monster tach that only adjust down to a 4 cylinder car application, what will I need or have to do to convert the pulse reading so it reads the proper RPM and not half of what it should?

Thank you all.....

Attachments

• instuments.jpg
    instuments.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 78
I am running a 3 3/8" Autometer ProCycle tach on Toxic. Wired it into the stock tach wiring and cut the brown wire loop at the back of the tach to put it in single pulse mode. If you do not cut the brown wire it will be in 2 pulse mode and read 50% of actual rpm. I do NOT recommend cross wiring across two coils using diodes to prevent cross-firing, too much of a change of a diode failing or wiring it wrong and causing damage. Will post up a couple of pics next week of my setup.

I am running a 3 3/8" Autometer ProCycle tach on Toxic. Wired it into the stock tach wiring and cut the brown wire loop at the back of the tach to put it in single pulse mode. If you do not cut the brown wire it will be in 2 pulse mode and read 50% of actual rpm. I do NOT recommend cross wiring across two coils using diodes to prevent cross-firing, too much of a change of a diode failing or wiring it wrong and causing damage. Will post up a couple of pics next week of my setup.

Sounds like another great mod for Toxic, but

:ttiwwp:

Mike

Will the 5in Monster tach that only adjust to the 4cylinder mode work the same way, by cutting the brown wire?

I know the ProCycle tachs from Autometer are suppose to adjust down to a 1 and 2 pulse signal. I'm hoping to just buy the car tach with shift light for a little over $100 vs. the ProCycle tach at around $400. My bike will not see water. Not too worried about the vibration. My car vibrates twice as much as my bike. LOL

Check out www.egauges.com they sell ProCycle gauges for much less than $400. The same model I am running costs $270 and you can get a Harlan shift light for $55 or so without a mount. If you get creative you can make your own mounts for both the tach and shift light. Tom at COO also sell shift lights and tach set ups. The only real limits are your vision.

I have a Sun Pro 3 1/2 in. tach on my max and it has a little cover on the back that is removable and can be set to 2, 4, or 8 cylinders. that works great for me. but, what I would like to know is; is there any way to hook up an air / fuel mixture guage to the vmax .:ummm: I`m thinking "NO" but I`m just curious.
<<Dave>>

Re: procycle fat tach

hey guys light went out on my procycle fat tach its all chrome can it be taken apart to be fix or are they a sealed unit

Car tach will not work. I will l save you money now buy the one from Pro Cycle. I have been down this road I did the research.

Latest posts

Back