Tacho/rev counter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegetsinyoureyes

Reaction score
Has anyone any idea what the red led light in the tacho/rev counter is? I've been told there is a max speed limiter fitted, that it drops out 2 coils when a certain speed is reached? And that this is only on japanese models? This would tie in with the 3UF frame and eng numbers?
Sorry all the questions, it's all new to me!
P.S. its a non v boost model.

red light or the red line after 9500? im sure someone will have a answer for ya. how about a pic of this red light?

mmm not in front of the bike cant picture it, you think maybe someone added a light?

Here's pics of the red light in the tacho, anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0266.jpg
    IMAG0266.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 59
Are you sure it's NON V-boost model?
A NON V-boost model has a tacho meter going up to 8500 rpm and than the red starts.
A V-boost model is going up to 9500 rpm
There are other specific thing where you can see it's a NON V-boost model. (100HP)
NON V-boost (100HP)
- if you turn the key you will hear only once a zoom (fuel pomp)
- it has smaller holes in the exhaust
- Tacho meter runs until 8500rpm (after that red)
- Speedo meter is always in KM's (only european models)
- different cam shaft (ofcourse not visualble)

V-boost model (145HP)
- If you turn the key you will hear two zooms (fuel pomp and servo of the V-boost)
- Has slightly bigger holes in the exhaust
- Tacho meter runs until 9500rpm (after that red)
- speedo meter can be in KM's or in Miles.
- extra kick in the back above the 6000rpm (V-boost is opening)
Uitlaat.jpg

V-Boost.jpg

V-Boost2.jpg

I have my doubts about this being a NON V-boost model because of the tacho meter thats running until 9500rpm but this could be a replacement meter.
The red led light looks like it's not original. But I could be wrong.

The NoN V-boost models where never sold in the US. They had the full version straith from the beginning 1985. In Europe the first models where the NON V-boost models with 100hp untill somewhere 93'
I don't know about the Japanees models.

Defenitly no "V" Boost, the exhausts have the smaller bore at the end. It pulls steady up untill 115mph then wont go any more, it is almost at the nine and a half rpm redline at this speed. The speedo was in Km and the dial was changed to read in Mph the odometer and trip still read in Km. It was imported to the UK in 2001 and was registered using the frame number and date of manufacture (95) although when the first uk oner bought it he was told it was registered 96. As I said the frame No: starts 3UF there is no engine number other than 3UF, it has not been altered, there is also a 3UF printed on the underside of the seat, the 3UF tallies with a japaneese home market model, they were not full power models.:ummm:

Odd, does it ever light up for anything?

The Japanese models were the non-boost version like the Euro, but also had a speed limiter built into the speedometer (it has an extra couple wires). It's just a simple switch tied to the needle, at a certain point(180km/h comes to mind but not sure) it just cuts 2 of the coils. I imagine this would be pretty easy to bypass.

Wonder if the non-boost ones had even lower gearing? A regular max will run to about 145ish, 9500 in fifth.

Here's pics of the red light in the tacho, anyone any ideas?

I'm thinking someone got into the tach assembly and installed their own shift light and custom Vmax lettering. It would be pretty easy to do, not to mention it would be one of them little custom attention to details that kick ass.

Start that puppy up and rev it to redline and see if the light comes on. If anything it will eliminate the shift light theory.

Re: Tacho/rev counter All is revealed!!!

Turns out that all the dial faces have been replaced, the red line on the old tacho dial is at eight and a half, and the red led in the tacho is for an alarm that is fitted, but disconected because it flattened the battery. Still none the wiser where it was imported from, most likley japan. if it is restricted? is it done from the speedo or has anyone any ideas, I have heard that anything from japan is speed restricted to 180kph, done through some device in the speedo to drop out 2 ignition coils?

Attachments

• IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 23
All is revealed!
The red led in the tacho is for an alarm which is currently disconected, all the dials were changed as photos, the red line on the tacho should be 8500 rpm. has anyone any idea how it is speed restricted though? is it the bore of the exhaust, is the carbs jetted differenty are the cams different or is there somthing in the speedo as somone suggested to drop out two coils at a certain speed?

Attachments

• IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
My speedo has 5 cables from it the wiring diagram in the haynes manual for uk & us models has only three, is the other 2 cables to do with the speed restriction? any ideas?

My speedo has 5 cables from it the wiring diagram in the haynes manual for uk & us models has only three, is the other 2 cables to do with the speed restriction? any ideas?

Yes. The "extra" 2 wires that don't show up in the NA/euro spec models are for the speed limiter.

I'd just cut them and see if the limiting stops. If not, twist them together. One or the other has to work....

I also believe the non-boost versions had 8500rpm redlines, opposed to the NA models that were originally 9500, though sometime in the '00s it changed to 9k, the same time the speedo changed from "fives" to "tens".

I'm not sure if there's any merit to this lower redline or not, since as far as I've heard the engine internals are identical to a boost version and should cope with speeds to 9500 just fine. The intake and exhaust may not be designed for that much flow and pinch off power past "redline".

Honestly though a non-boost version probably doesn't have the power to go much faster than 180kms anyway.

This is what I found in the back of my speedo, seems to be a red, brown, green and black cables gointo somthing within the speedo, looks like it's been aftermarket fitted and a plastic plug fitted where cables go in. There are two other cables, blue and black but they are to the bulb holder for speedo illumination. Also on the back of the speedo you can see a stamp which says ( NSM 24.8.98 Japan) I believe this is the speed restriction, but what I dont understand is if the bike was registered in 95 why would the restriction be fitted in 98?
It lookes like an extra bit added to the loom from the original plug.

Attachments

• IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0294.jpg
    IMAG0294.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9
Back