TCI computer for 1993

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My used stock is getting thin and older. Still hard to predict when they will go bad. The dyna is new and has a warranty. My price I sell them for is $250 plus $10 shipping.

Email me directly if I can help. You can always borrow an OEM one to test with to make sure yours is bad. See my electrical loaner program in my section of the forum.

Sean

while were here....................what are some of the symtems of a tci going bad,or do they just die.kaput, dont work no more? or can they cause intermittent"hicups"or "cut outs" or something else that I may be blaming on the EFI.

Any number of things. Popping at idle, misfiring at low speeds or vice versa. Could easily be the early box you have which there isn't a current available replacement.

Sean

Any number of things. Popping at idle, misfiring at low speeds or vice versa. Could easily be the early box you have which there isn't a current available replacement.

Sean

I may be able to reverse engineer the old one. Have you taken one apart? Any proprietary chips?

Tim Nash

I havent takin anyting apart......................yet. mable had been running well. then, kinda all of a sudden shes acting weird. fine under a load but when I m just cruising , no real load its cutting out.dont know if its TCI or EFI? I have another TCI unit ,so I guess Ill swap it out when I get time.

If I can find a dyna for my 89, will it work with my EFI?

I know i had a dyna for a week and it went bad ONLY at idle i lost spark on the left front cylinder.

Im still running stock,are you saying stay away from the dyna?

Yes till i have to replace my stock 1, i know other that have had them for yrs with no probs, but that is just my luck. , LOL

Tim, I have about zero electrical experience but Prezmek was replacing a few parts in the old TCI's for me after I got the parts. I could send you an old box and let you look it over. A fully converted box to digital would be even better! I may have a newer version I could send too.

Tim, I have about zero electrical experience but Prezmek was replacing a few parts in the old TCI's for me after I got the parts. I could send you an old box and let you look it over. A fully converted box to digital would be even better! I may have a newer version I could send too.

Sean,

I have two Version 1 bikes in the back of my shop. When my world stops spinning a million miles an hour, I was wanting to pull the motor an send it to you. I want to resto the bike to original for the wife. It's a leftover 85 sold as an 86. Anyway, I could look at the circuit at that time. The only way the Version 2 Digital Ignition will work on the Version 1 Analog system is if the flywheels have the same number and placement of magnets. I have never tested them both, but my guess would be that I don't think they will play with each other. I could design and build a digital replacement board that utilizes the existing pick-ups. Unless I could find a new enclosure to put it in, it could be housed in the old box. I have to get the ECU reflashes under my belt and then I could look at this. Since I don't have time to pull the bike apart, if you have a worthless and defective one that you could send, if it's purely analog I may be able to reverse it pretty quick. I didn't know they had quit making them. I am thinking this will become a major problem in the near term for old version Gen 1 owners!? Me being in that crowd a couple times over, I don't want to see that happen.

Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

Update: I just went and looked at K&N Motorcycles website. They list the '85 year model Igniter Unit SKU#1FK-82305-10-00 as being available for $837 bucks.

Last edited:
The flywheels are for sure different but I don't mean to convert the overall function just update to more modern components. I am working on some stuff you are working on too (with Darren) and know you have plenty on your plate.

If we could come up with a reliable upgrade without spending a fortune I would have no problems selling them. I know a few would even like to have the rev limiter and maybe even a signal wire to operate a shift light or other device.

You'll have to email me an address and i'll send anything you want for testing with.

Sean
[email protected]

I may be able to reverse engineer the old one. Have you taken one apart? Any proprietary chips?

Tim Nash

Yes, at least 4.

As far as I was digging into them they never go bad in the LOGICAL section.
The problem is always related to coils switching transistors and thier control section.

Any fast (5kHz) PLC controler could be used to make custom TCI, should be no biggie.

Yes, Im working on it very hard.
I was trying to create the independet jig that will simulate the signals form pickups, as I dont have the pre 90 vmaxer around anymore.
So I cant check the box on the bike anymore.

I had found it very dificult, at least 5 times I was failed.
Still trying to figure this out but unfortunetly I may never succeed with this.

Sean,

I have two Version 1 bikes in the back of my shop. When my world stops spinning a million miles an hour, I was wanting to pull the motor an send it to you. I want to resto the bike to original for the wife. It's a leftover 85 sold as an 86. Anyway, I could look at the circuit at that time. The only way the Version 2 Digital Ignition will work on the Version 1 Analog system is if the flywheels have the same number and placement of magnets. I have never tested them both, but my guess would be that I don't think they will play with each other. I could design and build a digital replacement board that utilizes the existing pick-ups. Unless I could find a new enclosure to put it in, it could be housed in the old box. I have to get the ECU reflashes under my belt and then I could look at this. Since I don't have time to pull the bike apart, if you have a worthless and defective one that you could send, if it's purely analog I may be able to reverse it pretty quick. I didn't know they had quit making them. I am thinking this will become a major problem in the near term for old version Gen 1 owners!? Me being in that crowd a couple times over, I don't want to see that happen.

Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

Update: I just went and looked at K&N Motorcycles website. They list the '85 year model Igniter Unit SKU#1FK-82305-10-00 as being available for $837 bucks.
As I've mentioned that could be done with no problems.
Grab the PLC with bulit in fast counter for example Mitsubishi FX1S.
As the old type ignition use 2 points on the flywhell You will likely
put ordinary industry VR sensor for 30$.
Some cheapo smart coils like densos in toyotas should be used, they're working in falling edge.
And viola, You have perfect working ignition system.

The hardest part will be the program.

Stuff showed up today. Man that was quick! I will look at it tomorrow.

Tim

LOL. No problem. The only thing I might eventually like to get back would be the TCI box. The flywheel was dug out of the trash pile. It's the same as the vmax but far heavier (actually helps generate a stronger magnetism and smoother engine). Normally not worth messing with.

Sean

Back