The Max's rep

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So which pip is Jay?:whistlin:
:rofl_200:

Okay, I found it, Kjshover has covered the basics. since cut and paste is not possible I will type up word for word the important parts which apply to the Vmax.

"After the extravagance of modifications that went into the turbo Eliminator, we resolve to make the next bike- a 1986 V-Max - simpler. Engineers at Yamaha have told us that the V-Max responds readily to exhaust- and intake - system changes , so we turn the bike over to Steve Johnson, head of R&D for Kerker, and tell him to find more power without touching the inside of the engine.
Johnson and his staff remove the V-max's airbox and V-boost system, rejet the carbs, and make a very special 4- into-2- into - 1 pipe, perhaps the most complicated exhaust system Kerker has ever built. The result is a substantial power increase and, with the competition baffle installed, exhaust music unlike that of any other motorcycle. At idle, the Max has the same lumpy, nasty sound of trapped power as a full-race american v-eight car engine. Accelerating , sometimes it sounds like a Chevy pro-stocker, sometimes like something else, but never like a motorcycle. Johnson is so enraptured with the V-max's song that, during the week that the completed V-Max is awaiting its return to CYCLE WORLD, he often wanders out of his office to the Kerker shop, starts the V-Max and plays the throttle. He always returns to his office smiling.
As important to making the V-Max quick is a new wheel and tire combination. Despite the bike having been on the market for two years, no truly sticky tires are available for its 15 inch rear wheel. So again we turn to those master fabricators of the drag racing world, Kosman specialties, for an 18-inch spoked wheel and wheelie bar. In his enthusiasm for our 9-second project, Sandy Kosman exceeds what is absolutely necessary and installs a spoked front wheel ,too, along with his lightweight brake discs and calipers. The end result , wearing pro-stock slick at both ends, is perhaps the ultimate fantasy stoplight-racer, the machine on which you could best imagine pulling alongside the nastiest , snarliest car on the streets, blipping the throttle once and asking, "wanna race?" - knowing full well, of course, there is no way you're going to lose.

December 1986:
First up is the V-max. Gleason runs down the track twice to familiarize himself with the bike and to warm it up, and then backs it into the shallow water trough at the beginning of the strip. A quick second gear burnout, with surprisingly little smoke or tire noise, brings the big Goodyear slick up to operating temperature. Then Gleason rolls the Max forward and stages for his first run.
He launches at only 5000 rpm, causing the bike to bog slightly off the line, but the time is still excellent: 10.03 seconds at 133.92 mph. For the first time we're sure that the V-Max will make it into the nines. For the next run, Jay holds the engine speed at 5800 rpm before dropping the clutch, and the bike fairly leaps away, back hard on the wheelie bar all the way through first gear. When the time pops up on the display board down the strip, everyone at the track is stunned: 9.74 seconds at 135.13 mph. Terry Vance can hardly believe it; he figured the V-Max might run 10 second-flat times at best. Don't forget, this is a heavy motorcycle that's never had it's valve covers off, and has it's tank full of pump gas, yet it's running fast enough to have whipped a Pro-Stock field 12 years ago.
Mark Dobeck of dynojet thinks the V-Max might run faster yet, so he and Wymer yank its carbs and drop the main jets two sizes. Dobeck feels this will help change the blackish buildup on the silencer's exit to a more pleasing gray, and boost top-end power. Gleason tries again, and on his second run with the new jetting, turns, 9.69 seconds at 135.74 mph. The V-max is retired, Having thoroughly and easily proven it's point: of the five runs it has made today, all except the first were well into the Nines." - CYCLE WORLD 1987

there are the most important parts pertaining to the V-Max. I left out some parts pertaining to Gleason but that is all. I am glad to know that my memory is not completly shot after all these years and all that beer.

Holy CRAP!! A 9.6 at 135 mph on an internally stock VMax!!! :surprise: :surprise:

Holy CRAP!! A 9.6 at 135 mph on an internally stock VMax!!! :surprise: :surprise:

It had a full slick, drag bars, the first Kerker made (it was a prototype), carb work and, of course, Pee-Wee Gleason on board. Still amazing for an unopened motor!

Mike

I have that article with pics somewhere... They re-ran it a few years ago... It had spoked wheels front and rear and it looked cool as shit! Of course when you have engineers from Kerker there it helps... Plus the pip only weighed 130.:surprise:

this has been entertaining to read...

I do think that the Max is unique in reputation, deserved or not.
Every vmax owner echoes what you have all said... its not just fast or scary or fun to ride etc...its fear....people FEAR the vmax and it just sticks in the mind with the name.(btw have you noticed that vmax was the first use of a letter followed by a word...Ipod made that a popular linguistic endeavor much later).

Think about it...other bikes are fast...Busa's have a patient on fast but no one FEARS them...
Its as though the average bike enthusiast knows that "this or that" group of bikes are fast but only the Vincent Black Shadow and the Vmax will actually go thermo-nuclear, blow up, go airborne, catch file and irradiate the landscape!

The name vmax will forever be linked with unbridled power, barely controllable acceleration and fearfully gutsy riding ability. And like all great reputations its only part true or real. The interesting thing is its been 20 years of this and once the new one comes out there will be story's about "the original was twice as bad!!"...

It always comes with a warning no matter what.

1. when considering buying a vmax friends will warn you to be careful regardless of your riding experience .

2. Parking your vmax at a bike night makes you some kind of "mysterious stranger" as you are asked by perfect strangers whats it like? (as though riding to the local hang out was spent on the ragged edge of destruction)

3. owning a vmax means you now have to be told about everyone,s mythical "cheating death" story about friend, brother, father, uncle or "guy i know" who either jumped the grand cannon, forced the earth to counter rotate during a burn out, or jumped on one drunk and ran from the cops for 5 days across 3 provinces only to bail out from fear...

Speaking as a professional marketing guy...its a bloody miracle... to develop and launch a product with a reputation as perfectly bad ass as that... its almost luck and definitely a moment of great celebration when you pull it off.. you couldn't hope to get that kind of street cred through the most elaborate marketing plan... although i assure you they tried. Sometimes the stars align.

(You guys don't know me cause i'm new but i'll just jump right in with you)
Very true. One of my best friends is a marketing guy and he feels pretty much the same way. He's also an avid motorcyclist and knows the Max pretty well. He thought it was awesome the other day when a mutual friend of ours said "man you need to be careful on that thing, I heard that if you hit a bump and the throttle gets twisted a bit too much, the front wheel will shoot up". The Max is definately a legend and the poo gets deeper as the years go by!:banana:

I sold my ZX11 to buy the Max I have now. My first VMax was a 94 model. I found a great deal on a 2001 and just had to have another. Was the ZX11 fast? You bet it was but it was so refined it just wasn't much fun. I know that probably doesn't make much sense. When I got on my new VMax and twisted it, hey what's that on my neck? Oh yeah I forgot the hairs did that:punk: There's just something about these bikes, the way they sound, everything. I love it.

I have that article with pics somewhere... They re-ran it a few years ago... It had spoked wheels front and rear and it looked cool as shit! Of course when you have engineers from Kerker there it helps... Plus the pip only weighed 130.:surprise:

I got bored one night and wanted a little Vmax reading so I went to http://www.mcreports.com/ and shelled out $21

They have 15 articles scanned from various rags from '85 through '87, one being "taking it to the 9's" with about 115 pages in a 30mb acrobat file.

Its good reading.

I was just wondering about the 9 second times by the little guy (Pip?) running spoke wheels and race slicks.

You might have some pictures in those scanned articles?

Just wondering what the diameter of that rim and tyre combo was and how much effect that had on his times?

Any clues?

I was just wondering about the 9 second times by the little guy (Pip?) running spoke wheels and race slicks.

You might have some pictures in those scanned articles?

Just wondering what the diameter of that rim and tyre combo was and how much effect that had on his times?

Any clues?

18" rim
Goodyear 3341 pro-stock slick (8.5" wide)

I have to believe it had a huge effect on the times.

wouldn't the 18" rear rim gear the bike even taller?

Traction has never been a problem for me at the strip.Radial or bias tire,flipping is a bigger problem.If the tire is warm it will hook up in the rubber and vht.

I also have the MC Report. Apparently Gleason was very impressed that the Max could pull that rear tire without bogging. I think the final drive ratio was maintained because the slick did not have the same height sidewall as the stock rear tire, which is quite tall.

In drag racing, traction is everything. Being able to launch the bike right without worrying about it hooking or looping played a huge part in getting those times.

Mike

wouldn't the 18" rear rim gear the bike even taller?

Traction has never been a problem for me at the strip.Radial or bias tire,flipping is a bigger problem.If the tire is warm it will hook up in the rubber and vht.

That's been my experience also, they keep HRP in great condition and prep it as well (almost I suppose) for the weekend racers as they do the pro's. The first 200' is like walking on Velcro, it'll almost pull your shoes off.
Keeping the front end down has been a much bigger issue,

That's why my opinion was that a good tire/wheel combo and wheelie bar w/ struts would be VERY beneficial rather than just creating tire spin.

Rusty

That's been my experience also, they keep HRP in great condition and prep it as well (almost I suppose) for the weekend racers as they do the pro's. The first 200' is like walking on Velcro, it'll almost pull your shoes off.

That's why my opinion was that a good tire/wheel combo and wheelie bar w/ struts would be VERY beneficial rather than just creating tire spin.

Rusty

Thats what I'm thinking, there is a big difference running down an unprepped airstrip to a prepped track.

I've done both on my XS, on the track I was up on the bars hard, and while racing at the airstrip outside of tok I was barely skipping them.

As for shoes sticking? I've lost a sneaker or two at Alaska Raceway Park in the past. nothing is worse then getting a sock full of VHT

Rusty

I ran the bars my last trip to the strip.With my regular street radial dropped to 8psi I could leave at 9000 rpm.Carry the bike on the bars the whole way till 4th gear.I liked them on but I can't stand the flatslide bog as the lights come down.I do not seem to be able to roll the throttle when leaving.My 2 stage was not working again.Dynatek piece of shit!Still was running right a 11.0-11.1.:bang head:

I really don't want to run bars, what about strapping the front end? My bike is by no means a monster, but I would assume a strap can do nothing but help at the track? Any good place to buy a fork strap?

I really don't want to run bars, what about strapping the front end? My bike is by no means a monster, but I would assume a strap can do nothing but help at the track? Any good place to buy a fork strap?

I bought mine at Schnitz racing. Ebay?

Back