the price of tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody see the price of tires lately?:bang head: Bought my last rear tire in 4/09 for $130 bucks.Look at the price now in So.Cal.:damn angry:

Attachments

• way to much.jpg
    way to much.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 80
Anybody see the price of tires lately?:bang head: Bought my last rear tire in 4/09 for $130 bucks.Look at the price now in So.Cal.:damn angry:

Get your tiers from Ron ayers, the prices have gone up plus you will pay tax too, also buy your tires in winter when there is less demand.

Yep, oil is used in the tire manufacturing process.....not to mention the delivery of everything we purchase.......maybe someday things will get better...hopefully anyway.

Just bought a sportbike set for $ 220.00 120 & 180 ZR 17s - Bridgestone Battlax , at my local stealer . They were in a sale pile with some Dunlops , Michelins , & Shinkos . Deals are out there if you have the time to look . + 1 on Motorcycle Superstore too .

Attachments

• 7-19-11 1146.jpg
    7-19-11 1146.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 10
If your in my position and need cheap to stay riding, Shinko is the way to go. Best tires? I'd say no. Could you spend more for tires not as good, I'd say yes. Trust my life to them at high speeds? Yes, all the time. The only real bitch I have with Shinko's is the life span is short. The last pair I had took a ton of wieghts to balance. I used Dyna beads with this set and am very satisfied after the first 1k miles on this set. Someday-radials!
Steve-o

If you guys aren't overly concerned with your cornering ability you could always mod a tire to accept 15" car tires. WAY BETTER mileage!!! And sometimes they can look pretty good too, plus more contact with the ground = more ability to transfer all those ponies to speed :eusa_dance:

If you guys aren't overly concerned with your cornering ability you could always mod a tire to accept 15" car tires. WAY BETTER mileage!!! And sometimes they can look pretty good too, plus more contact with the ground = more ability to transfer all those ponies to speed :eusa_dance:
Never thought about a car tire.:ummm: I'll check it out...Mite rub the drive shaft though:hmmm:

Never thought about a car tire.:ummm: I'll check it out...Mite rub the drive shaft though:hmmm:

The bike i just bought is coming with a modded rim and according to the guy i bought it from it just bolts strait on with the 15" tire. Now i'm sure there are certain ones that work better than others. But i have seen Vmax's with the car tires. Can't hurt to try at least once. You can get those tires for dirt cheap! And they last 10x longer than a bike tire!:punk:

The bike i just bought is coming with a modded rim and according to the guy i bought it from it just bolts strait on with the 15" tire. Now i'm sure there are certain ones that work better than others. But i have seen Vmax's with the car tires. Can't hurt to try at least once. You can get those tires for dirt cheap! And they last 10x longer than a bike tire!:punk:

One of the things my father taught me growing up was, "don't force anything, there is a reason it's not coming apart." Another was, "use the right tool for the job." A car tire is NOT the "right tire for the job!" The tread configuration, the sidewall construction, the way the tread is constructed and flexes, nothing is right for a bike! If you were at a dragstrip and never, never had to turn, then maybe for that very specific and limited use maybe you could get away with it. Even then, you have to turn around at ea. end of the track.

I doubt you would even get a tire dealer to mount a car tire onto a mcy rim! Too much liability. Please do not do this!

Last edited:
One of the things my father taught me growing up was, "don't force anything, there is a reason it's not coming apart." Anorher was, "use the right tool for the job." A car tire is NOT the "right tire for the job!" The tread configuration, the sidewall construction, the way the tread is constructed and flexes, nothing is right for a bike! If you were at a dragstrip and never, never had to turn, then maybe for that very specific and limited use maybe you could get away with it. Even then, you have to turn around at ea. end of the track.

I doubt you would even get a tire dealer to mount a car tire onto a mcy rim! Too much liability. Please do not do this!

Thanks for the advice man. I do appreciate people looking out for each other! But if you do a search you'd be surprised at how many people use 15 in car tires on their bike. Most people pay a little extra for a better tire with good ratings and they haven nothing to worry about. I've ridden a Warrior with that setup, and the first few corners were a little different but after that i never even noticed it was different. It actually rides quite well. What i meant by cornering was like track days and such. But the Max as we all know isn't exactly shredding up the corners anyway. But you'll be fine for every day riding and cruising around the country!

Thanks for the advice man. I do appreciate people looking out for each other! But if you do a search you'd be surprised at how many people use 15 in car tires on their bike. Most people pay a little extra for a better tire with good ratings and they haven nothing to worry about. I've ridden a Warrior with that setup, and the first few corners were a little different but after that i never even noticed it was different. It actually rides quite well. What i meant by cornering was like track days and such. But the Max as we all know isn't exactly shredding up the corners anyway. But you'll be fine for every day riding and cruising around the country!
We discussed this a while ago. Research the threads before you attempt this. I hope you don't do it.
Steve-o

Any major tire manufacturer would strenuously object if you emailed them asking about such an application.

Just because Ray Lewis can fit into leotards, a tu tu, and a pair of toe shoes, that doesn't mean he belongs there, or that he can correctly function there .
thumbnail.aspx

"Ray-Ray don't roll that way!"

The bike i just bought is coming with a modded rim and according to the guy i bought it from it just bolts strait on with the 15" tire.

He chopped up his swingarm to get the car tire to fit. Apparantly it had a good sized cross section.

here is what happend to it.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4735&highlight=broken+swingarm

You might want to check out the space in the current swingarm to see if it has enough room for the car tire's cross section dimentions. :)

He chopped up his swingarm to get the car tire to fit. Apparantly it had a good sized cross section.

here is what happend to it.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4735&highlight=broken+swingarm

You might want to check out the space in the current swingarm to see if it has enough room for the car tire's cross section dimentions. :)

Lol... Yeah sounds like a good idea! Either way my buddy is going to notch and BRACE the swing arm for me when the bike gets here. I hope to fit a 200-210 back there when all is said and done. There will be quite a few things to "fix" on this bike when it arrives i am sure. One thing at a time though. I have a solid 3-4 months to let my buddy sort it out before i'll be able to get home and pick the bike up.

A VMOA chpater leader put me onto Avon tires. Roadrider AM26 on the front, Venom on the back, stock sizes. Amazing. I have 23,000 miles on my '07, and have been through more than one set. I also just finished a Total Control riding class up in WA state. Anybody who says the Max can't cut up the corners just hasn't learned how to tame the beast. You can drag footpegs on a 40 foot diameter figure 8 without flinching. Whatever you buy, make sure you check the manufacturing date stamp on the sidewall and never buy anything over 3 years old.

Plus I forgot to mention, I get the V rated version of the Avon. Riding at 120-125 mph or more on R rated tires seems like cutting it close.

Latest posts

Back