the price of tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any major tire manufacturer would strenuously object if you emailed them asking about such an application.

Just because Ray Lewis can fit into leotards, a tu tu, and a pair of toe shoes, that doesn't mean he belongs there, or that he can correctly function there .
thumbnail.aspx

"Ray-Ray don't roll that way!"

Any bike manual you get with the bike will tell you to only use the same tires that were supplied with the bike. But probably 100% of riders don't adhere to that rule either.

To each his own brother! Arguing tires with another motorcyclist is just going to open a huge can or worms! Life's to short to worry about arguments over such controversial topics. We'll leave it to others, and just enjoy our riding time and the other great info people have to offer! :punk:

He chopped up his swingarm to get the car tire to fit. Apparantly it had a good sized cross section.

here is what happend to it.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4735&highlight=broken+swingarm

You might want to check out the space in the current swingarm to see if it has enough room for the car tire's cross section dimentions. :)

Hey put another OEM swing arm on after he snapped that one and didn't do anything to this one. My friend is going to notch and brace it properly for me. :eusa_dance:

A VMOA chpater leader put me onto Avon tires. Roadrider AM26 on the front, Venom on the back, stock sizes. Amazing. I have 23,000 miles on my '07, and have been through more than one set. I also just finished a Total Control riding class up in WA state. Anybody who says the Max can't cut up the corners just hasn't learned how to tame the beast. You can drag footpegs on a 40 foot diameter figure 8 without flinching. Whatever you buy, make sure you check the manufacturing date stamp on the sidewall and never buy anything over 3 years old.

I will definitely be checking these out! Thanks for the heads up!

Man you guys have it good over there, everything is so much cheaper. I just bought my rear Metzeller 880 tire last week standard size for 260.00 and that was the cheapest around by 20 bucks.

Bottom line to me is car tires are designed to lay 'flat' on the road & usually w/stiff sidewalls. Bike tires are of course, designed to transition from one side of the other to accomodate a 40 degree+ lean left to right. The construction and ability of the tread to flex so that handling is maintained as a consistent factor as the lean angle of the bike transitions from one extreme lean angle to the other, and its ability to build/maintain/get rid of excess heat as the tire 'works' is the difference between the car and bike tires.

Yeah, if you wanna use a car tire this diatribe ain't gonna stop you. Go to a track day on a road race course and tell me how-many racers use 'em. I bet you wouldn't get past tech inspection if you tried to. Straight line? Different story.

I'm sure the Yamaha manual says to not modify any part of the bike in any way since that could adversely affect safety, to never attempt repairs yourself, and to only use genuine Yamaha parts for maintenance. And I'm sure everyone here follows that also.

You can argue about how "it won't work" all day long, but when there's thousands and thousands of people that ride on car tires every day, it's tough to not sound like an idiot. It's the whole "plane on a treadmill" thing all over again....it's been proven to work, been tested and demonstrated to work, and yet people still stubbornly insist it's impossible.

Just this one guy has done over 100k miles on car tire rears on his Valk....he's proven that it does work, it is safe and the bike will corner just fine.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

When this Metz runs down, I'm thinking I'm going to put a car tire on the back. The 8000 mile (at best) life and the extreme price of tires pisses me off all over the place. That guy gets 3-4x the life at about 1/2 the cost. There's a few choices in 155/80-15 car tires, that are around $70. There's a whole load in 175 width, but I'm not sure if that would fit.

I don't know much about it but heard you have to do something to the rim of your bike to make the beads of a car tire seat on it. Not sure if that is true or not. I believe I heard Lankee mention this a couple years ago...Having his rim modified to run a car tire (slick for track use).

I'm sure the Yamaha manual says to not modify any part of the bike in any way since that could adversely affect safety, to never attempt repairs yourself, and to only use genuine Yamaha parts for maintenance. And I'm sure everyone here follows that also.

You can argue about how "it won't work" all day long, but when there's thousands and thousands of people that ride on car tires every day, it's tough to not sound like an idiot. It's the whole "plane on a treadmill" thing all over again....it's been proven to work, been tested and demonstrated to work, and yet people still stubbornly insist it's impossible.

Just this one guy has done over 100k miles on car tire rears on his Valk....he's proven that it does work, it is safe and the bike will corner just fine.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

When this Metz runs down, I'm thinking I'm going to put a car tire on the back. The 8000 mile (at best) life and the extreme price of tires pisses me off all over the place. That guy gets 3-4x the life at about 1/2 the cost. There's a few choices in 155/80-15 car tires, that are around $70. There's a whole load in 175 width, but I'm not sure if that would fit.

Just bookmarked that site, thanks!

If Xerox Ducati was using car tires, then I might pay attention.

The beauty of a democracy, we all get to make our own choices.

Latest posts

Back