The questions/comments on my 'Busa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
2nd gear issues are due to rider. Undercut tranny and billet forks are nice and allow the bike to shift very nice though. Ya might pickup hardened shift shafts from Brock while yer at it.
The yosh pipe is not a hp/tq maker on the Busa. The large airbox mod(if your sure it has the "large" mod) is too much as well, especially considering your weight. It really hurts tq. Yeah, the dyno was a little low. I dyno'd mine(04) with totally stk airbox(flapper still active even) and stk exhaust(cans removed on dyno) and it pulled 157 to the wheel with 98ft/lb of tq. Most yosh equiped Busa's properly tuned are in the mid 160's.
The configuration you mentioned above is capable of low 9's at your wieght, but your gonna need to get your 60's in the 1.4's. Your wheelbase is certainly capable of supporting that as is the tire.
Be sure to gear for your wieght. Also be sure to get a look-see at the clutch. Stk clutch hub(the factory lockup part) is not gonna allow you to cut good 60's with your weight and it being stretched.
If i were you, i'd also run all LONG stacks in the airbox as well. Hurts hp slightly up top but will add down low and in the midrange where a "big guy" can benifit most.

Sorry for the threadjack guys. Was not trying to take away from the original post!

From all I've read on the trans is that it's a common issue. I've read several guys with less than 1000 miles on their bikes having the issue. *Shrugs* I've owned the bike a month now and it's had nothing but issues since I got it. I hope I'm over the last hurdle.

Right now it's geard -1 +2, so as long as I can pilot the dang thing it should hit the numbers I'm after. Only time will tell though, I'm running out of good weather and the track staying open to be able to hit up NA runs this year though. I would like to be in the high 9's N/A.

Ive talked to a few nitrous guys and they say to leave the stacks in the stock configuration with the place I'm putting the jet. Otherwise the center two cylinders were leaning out. I'm sure going all longs would benefit NA, but I don't want to be too fat on the outer two cylinders or worse yet wash 'em down.

I definately just don't like the Yosh pipe that's on it. It's whisper quiet and I think the can is WAY too long on it. I was gonna shorten the can, but thought I could sell the system and help fund the new set up I wanna go with.

As far as a clutch set up goes, I had thought about the Brock hub mod, but then I thought about going with something in a slider. The bike is a street bike first though, so I haven't figured out what I want to do yet.

I'm sure when I get it to where I want the bike would fly to high 8's with somebody that weighs 150lbs, but I'm not close to that. I hope to be back to my in shape weight of 225 which will help, but not sure if it'll help enough.

Well, most all sportbikes have 2nd gear tranny issues...90%+ due to rider. I can't tell you how many trannies i've replaced on CBR600's, CBR900's, CBR929's, ZX-6's, ZX-636's, ZX-9's. Moot point though since your replacing everything. You should'nt have any issues as long as you shift well(or your kill is set right if going with air shifter).
Thats not enough gearing unless you plan to spray the bike right at the line. I had a friend that we set up his 01 Busa for him. He was 285lbs. He wanted to run at stk wheelbase. We ended up with -1/+2 on his...at stk wheelbase. Worked well but could have used a little more. I think -1/+3 would have been perfect. He ended up running a best of a 10.19 at like 135 or so mph in pretty good air. His was stk with stk exhaust(cans too). Did have a small air box mod and K&N filter(no better than stk on a Busa). It was also tuned with PCII. I rode it and hit a best of 9.63 @ 142mph and i was 185 suited at the time. First couple of passes were....interesting(to say the least!)due to the gearing. Was a little much for me and what i was used to. If i were you, i'd run -1/+3 or +4 at the very least. Not ragging on your weight, just wanna help ya get the most from your setup.

The Busa has two short and two long stacks in the airbox. IIRC, the two long ones are in the center. Very easy to swap out. Its not gonna run lean or rich enough to hurt anything. Will just add a little tq in the mid/low where you need it most. If spraying it off the line, then run the shorts all the way across. But, BE SURE TO RUN A PROGRESSIVE CONTROLLER if you plan to spray it in 1st!

Sell the Yosh and go to www.psychobike.com or www.suzukihayabusa.org and check their forsale section. I'm sure you can find one of Brock's Gen III systems for $500 or so. Prolly the best pipe out there and is streetable.

You don't want a slider. VERY $$$$! Also not streetable. A lockup is reasonable and streetable. Just have to remember that you won't be able to pull in the clutch if the rpms are high. Not fun to setup but once you get it set, they are great.

You bike would EASILY run 8's with even me on it setup like you plan(with the spray). I ran a dry shot on my stk wheelbase 04(stk exhaust even). Ran a best of 9.25 @ 153mph. 60's were in the mid 1.5's at the time. Never got the chance to spary it when i got my 60's in the low 1.5's.

Yeah that long can is what makes it quiet! Take it off! Tune the PCIIIusb for it and you're golden! Is it a PCIIIusb or a PCII or just plain PCIII?? :ummm:

Suzuki's are fun but you can pull your hair out working on them.

I don't plan on stopping at the 60 hit on the spray, but next year I'm just going with a dry set up so a Max of 60 on that. I think following years if I keep the bike it's going with a 1397 kit and a wet kit spraying upwards of 100+. Spraying in first yes I was going to get a progressive controller just because haha.

I know your not raggin on me for being a fatty haha, it is what it is though as far as numbers go.

I'm quite familiar with the air box in this and the runners. I plan on replacaing the vaccum plug at the bottom of the air box with the nitrous nozzel plate, screwing the nozzel in there. With that set up they're saying to keep the longer center stacks due to leaning out the center two cylinders with the short stacks. FWIW I post on SH.org and Rice Ya and a few others have verified this. Rice Ya made the plug deal that I'll be using I believe.

I've been eying the multi stage clutches, but they seem to be a huge pain to get set up, and I'm not sure how streetable they are either.

As far as the spray goes, I think I'm going to piece together my kit. I have quite a bit of stuff laying around from drag racing cars, just need a dry nozzel and a bottle and I think I'm set. It may get spray'd this year, I'm doubting it though.

Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate the input. I may go buy another rear sprocket to try it out now.

-Dustin

Yeah that long can is what makes it quiet! Take it off! Tune the PCIIIusb for it and you're golden! Is it a PCIIIusb or a PCII or just plain PCIII?? :ummm:

Suzuki's are fun but you can pull your hair out working on them.

Had a PCII on it, but I ditched it so it's a stock MAP. I'll be getting the PCIII usb for it here soon.

Had a PCII on it, but I ditched it so it's a stock MAP. I'll be getting the PCIII usb for it here soon.

Ever set the TPS on it? May be whacked!

Does it have secondary throttle plates? Probably not. If it does they may need calibrated as well.

I'm sure you've synced the T/Bs on it.

Yosh is a good pipe! I would either cut the can down or buy another slip on for it. Why spend the money that's already been spent. It's a known fact that exhaust doesn't pick up THAT much from one to another.

I say piss on N02! Go TURBO! :punk:

If you guys are sponsoring me sure I'll go turbo or both. I'll slap a VMaxforum.net decal on my racing leathers. :D

TPS is fine, t/b's are sync'd, it was a bad tune in the PCII. I kind of chuckle that every time I say this people start asking if it was something else other than a tune in a bike that I picked up in a different state haha.

Birdofprey isn't the only person who said the Yosh system sucks with the 'Busa's, so it's going away.

The Yosh is a nice look'n, nice sounding pipe. Does not make the hp that many others make. Your top three are Brock's, TiForce and Akropovic. Tusugi(sp?) is another good one. Hp difference on those are prolly 0-3hp max, so really depends on which ya find a deal on. Brock's stuff seem to work better on the track than on the dyno(its still one of the best on dyno).
Riceya makes some good stuff. I ran dual nozzles in the intake snorkels on the airbox. Nice even distribution. Putting the nozzle in the center(especially with a LARGE box mod) would definately feed more nitrous to the center cyl which would lean those two out, so i see your point there.
You need to gear the bike so that you can launch around 4-5K. 6K max. If you need more rpm to get the bike moving well then you don't have enough gear. You'll also go through clutches! Stick with OEM fibers and steels. They have been proven to out last Barnetts and the like. There is a fella on Psychobike that sells fibers and steels that work as well as OEM. Cycle Concepts is the one and the guy to talk with is Dwayne. They are cheaper than OEM as well. I've run them and got right at the same amount of passes from them as i did with the OEM's. Feel was the same as well.
A multi-stage would be a nightmare to setup, unless you know someone that has it right AND he weighs what you do AND his bike is setup identical to yours. Otherwise it'll still be mucho headaches along with mucho $$$$ buying clutches till ya get it right. If i were you, i'd run a single or two stage. They can be had pretty cheap and are much easier to setup. With your raceweight(you and bike), you'll see much more clutch life AND be much more consistant with a lockup than without, ESPECIALLY WHEN RUNNING NITROUS.

Since your on SH.org. Do a search under my memeber name "Birdoprey". I've been a member there since 01 and i've posted most of my passes that i made on my 01 and 04 Busa's. Might make for some interesting reading(may be boring as heck too!).

Well after a lot of reading/research I think the head is going off to get "worked" over the winter and I'm going to try and aquire another intake cam. Once I get it back I'm hoping to be in the 190+ rwhp range and 110+rwtq range. I'll spray on top of that I do believe once I get some S2000 injectors. 250+rwhp here I come! :D Fatty will get into the 8's one way or the other haha.

Latest posts

Back