Throttle Cable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgosset1

Reaction score
I was in the garage earlier jacking with the throttle adjuster by the handlebar trying to take up a little slack....loosened the lock nut and the adjuster would not turn by hand....Got a pair of pliers and was screwing it in a little and the plastic broke.....DANG!!!!cheap crap.....gonna super glue the plastic and try adjusting from the bottom adjuster in the am.....throttle still working.....

Nice thing about a push pull cable setup is that it will usually somewhat continue to work even when the housings are broken. I sell the OEM cables as well as aftermarket plastic and braided steel cables.

Sean

appreciate the input...your prices are good....will look at it in the am and order from you if needed.......

someone explain this to me....throttle seems to work fine, snaps back properly....engine idles when throttle is released....BUT I can turn the throttle more to the off or more clockwise and engines stops.....it has too much travel in the off idle position...is there some adjustment for this.....when i let go of the throttle is should not go any further, but my throttle goes back further and shuts the bike down.....whats up with this.....almost like the stop is broke....help!!

Sounds like too much slack which is adjusted out normally at the top but more can be adjusted out with the lower cables too.

Sean

someone explain this to me....throttle seems to work fine, snaps back properly....engine idles when throttle is released....BUT I can turn the throttle more to the off or more clockwise and engines stops.....it has too much travel in the off idle position...is there some adjustment for this.....when i let go of the throttle is should not go any further, but my throttle goes back further and shuts the bike down.....whats up with this.....almost like the stop is broke....help!!

There is a spring loaded rocker that one of the cables 'pockets' into (don't remember which one), it is part of the top connecting bracket between #1 & #2 carbs. It allows the throttle to be turned back a little beyond the stop.

If the motor stops when you do this maybe the idle thumb screw is backed out too far.

Danny if that rocker has a adjustment, that is my problem for sure...just need to research the location..lol...my thumb screw is screwed up showing about 4 threads.....don't know if that is enough or not....

The thumb screw is turned enough to set the idle - whatever that requires (there is no magic number of turns). If the linkage from the carb is not sitting on the stop of the screw then it's being held up by either binding or poorly adjusted cables.

Sean

Danny if that rocker has a adjustment, that is my problem for sure...just need to research the location..lol...my thumb screw is screwed up showing about 4 threads.....don't know if that is enough or not....

The rocker bracket is on the left side of the photo between carbs #1 & #2 (ignore the choke location....they are venture carbs). The two 'pockets' are for the cable ends, the one furthest inboard has the spring loaded rocker.

There is no adjustment.....don't confuse this with the idle adjuster....they are not related. As Sean said, the thumb screw end must touch the throttle linkage to affect the rpm.

Attachments

• 100_2580.jpg
    100_2580.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Danny; you have answered my question.....the throttle linkage is sitting on the adjuster
and when i overturn the throttle i can see if moving more....will adjust it out at the bottom linkage......thanks for the advice.....just wanted to make sure that there was no adjustment that i was missing......when jumbobrett did the shotgun, he also did a lot of adjusting on the cables....think he got the bottom adjuster way out.....

Latest posts

Back