Tire advice needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
I'm trying to nurse my tires until this winter when I plan to change to radials I'm thinking I'm going to do the Kosman mod to my rear. The dilemma I'm faced with is my tires are not going to last, So what I'm thinking is I will buy a new radial front and a cheap bia-ply rear to get my by for the rest of the year, Is this a good idea? What should I buy? Any advice would be helpful, Thanx

I have always been told DO NOT MIX bias ply and radials. If funds are limited.....go shinko....cheap and very sticky. I used to run them....and was VERY pleased.

Some manufacturers actually do mix bias & radials. H-D has some model which does. I would not though. Not on ours. Good call on the Kosman wheel, your bike will be at another level once you switch. You can do it for $1000, maybe less.

I have always been told DO NOT MIX bias ply and radials.
+1 - I hear that it can cause major instability, particularly at higher speeds.

Also, didn't someone post that Kosman is no longer doing wheel widening (or am I hallucinating)?

+1 - I hear that it can cause major instability, particularly at higher speeds.

Also, didn't someone post that Kosman is no longer doing wheel widening (or am I hallucinating)?
My understanding of that thread was he was just moving his shop and going to be down for a while, maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong because that would definitely change my plan if I cannot get my rear modded this winter.

Last edited:
I have always been told DO NOT MIX bias ply and radials. If funds are limited.....go shinko....cheap and very sticky. I used to run them....and was VERY pleased.

Some manufacturers actually do mix bias & radials. H-D has some model which does. I would not though. Not on ours. Good call on the Kosman wheel, your bike will be at another level once you switch. You can do it for $1000, maybe less.

i think you'll find anyone that does that does radial rear/bias front not the other way around like is being suggested.

Avon says:
TIRES: RADIAL VERSUS BIAS
While running a bias ply front tire and a radial rear tire can be acceptable in certain applications, you should never run radial front and bias rear as this can create an instability issue.

And Dunlop:
Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

And Motorcycle USA Magazine:
Don't Mix and Match Bias and Radial Tires
Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. Bias, bias belted and radial tires have different construction types and therefore have different abilities to carry side and peripheral forces as well as having varied damping characteristics. The introduction of radial tires required changes to certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The development of the radial tire led to frame modifications, new steering geometries and suspensions. That's why it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. Do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it has the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

Everything I ever read said Never use a Radial front with a BIAS rear.

Thanks for the advice maybe I can get a used rear to hold me over till I can mod the rear rim.

I have a Shinko 230 in 170/80/15 that still has quite a bit of life in it, just not enough for my upcoming 2500 mile Tail of the Dragon ride, so it's coming off tomorrow. It's yours for the shipping price from 18657 if you want it.

I have a Shinko 230 in 170/80/15 that still has quite a bit of life in it, just not enough for my upcoming 2500 mile Tail of the Dragon ride, so it's coming off tomorrow. It's yours for the shipping price from 18657 if you want it.

PM sent

Me880 metzler are real good
I read somewhere that kosman had finished doing rims........,.,.,?!?

Back