Tire Recommendation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
In addition to my clutch issue, my front Metzler has a very slow leak. I am still riding on it since the tread is still great, but I know that as the most important of two very small areas connecting me to the road I should err on the side of caution and safety.

Should I stick with the Metzler (in stock size on a 1996) or is there a better bias-ply alternative?

A lot of people on here use the Shinko tires. I have the Metzlers on one of mine and the Dunlops on the other. My dunlop doesnt hold as well as the metzler and the metzler slips when hitting it hard. I havent heard this about the Shinko maybe Steve-O will chime in cause I think he is running the Shinkos on his right now.

I have a set of shinko's on my bike and for the money you cant go wrong. I think I paid $135 for both tires. And both tires are 149mph rating. I went with the over sized rear tire (170) and it hooks up no spinning.

I have a set of shinko's on my bike and for the money you cant go wrong. I think I paid $135 for both tires. And both tires are 149mph rating. I went with the over sized rear tire (170) and it hooks up no spinning.

What model Shinko is that? I'm looking it up on their website, but they have quite a few.

If you are looking for longevity in a tire stick with the Metzler (ME880), the Shinko (Tourmaster 230) is a very grippy tire but it wears quickly.
I have run a Dunlop, Bridgestone, Shinko and currently I'm running a Metz 880 (F)/ Shinko (R), the combo I like the best. The Dunlop didn't get a fair shot as it was on the bike when I bought it but it was weather checked pretty bad so I changed out to Bridgestones. The Bridgestone were ok but I wanted a little better grip. I wore out the rear first so that's where I tried my Shinko and liked it. When the front finally was ready to be changed I tried a Shinko (Note: I had just upgraded my front brakes to 6 piston 'busa's) which worked well for a short while but they cupped badly and picked up a vibration. I put the Metz 880 on which worked well right off the bat and has for about 8 k miles so far and wearing well. I run about 6-7 k miles a year and typically go through 1.5 to 2 Shinko's on the rear a year but I like their grip.

I used to run Dunlop but they didn't stick so good and wore out quickly. A VMOA chapter leader put me on to Avon tires. I have the Roadrider AM26 on the front and the Venom AM42 on the rear (stock sizes). They are wonderful in every respect. I know the Metzler are very popular and I've never used them. But one thing is I think the Metzler are only H rated for speed (130 mph) and you can get these Avon in V rated (149 mph). Personally I often touch 120 - 125 so why be that close to the edge with H?! If you look around you can get them reasonably priced (I think anyway) and the last set I got from denniskirk.com I'm also careful to only get tires that are 4 years old or less according to the date code stamped on the sidewall. Even new tires can be hardened and oxidized slightly if they have been sitting around forever. :)

My last set of Shinko's are now being replaced by Metzler z6 radials. Like most tell you, Shinko's are super grippy, good in the rain, but don't give the thread life of a Metzler bias ply. The 170 rear Shinko fit fine without a washer swap. If you change tires yourself, it's a good way to go to save $. I also used more weight than usuall with Shinko's, had one run out on me, but would consider them well worth the money. Catch a sale and they are super cheap. 6k and it's time to tire shop with the Shinko's.
Good luck with whatever you choose,
Steve-o

Last edited:
I am the Retro Geezer in this respect as I just installed new Bridgestones (you know how to abbreviate that) Exedra G525-front, 526-rear, & am happy w/them. Neither took much weight to balance (a common concern w/Shinkos) & they handle fine for me. I used to use Dunlop K591's yrs. ago, but my local shop gave me a good deal on the Bridgestones, I think it was $223 w/o tax, mounted & balanced. They ride great, the stock front steers nicely, I know many people like to go 'wider' but it does incrementally slow-down the handling if you go wide in the front. "Your results/perceptions may differ."

I am the Retro Geezer in this respect as I just installed new Bridgestones (you know how to abbreviate that) Exedra G525-front, 526-rear, & am happy w/them. Neither took much weight to balance (a common concern w/Shinkos) & they handle fine for me. I used to use Dunlop K591's yrs. ago, but my local shop gave me a good deal on the Bridgestones, I think it was $223 w/o tax, mounted & balanced. They ride great, the stock front steers nicely, I know many people like to go 'wider' but it does incrementally slow-down the handling if you go wide in the front. "Your results/perceptions may differ."

Agree for sure on the front tire and handling. I'm staying 110/80 radial, stock wheel, on recommendation from the more experienced radial guys. I was fortunate to see and ride a Vmax with the similar set up I'm going with. It’s great having Vmax riding friends. Sorry to hijack, but I'm interested to see how the Dyna beads effect the rubber inside the tire. I like them as far as function.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I'm running Z6 interact front and back. The 190 at the back is nice. I just regret the 120 as it doesnt fit perfectly. I'll try to put a 110 front and 190-55 next time.
The z6 are really good tires for dry and wet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I used to run Dunlop but they didn't stick so good and wore out quickly. A VMOA chapter leader put me on to Avon tires. I have the Roadrider AM26 on the front and the Venom AM42 on the rear (stock sizes). They are wonderful in every respect.

+1 on the Avons, improved handling and grip over the Dunlops. I now run Cobras radials on my bike. They do not last long, but i ride in Arkansas, the roads are twisty, hilly and have a rough texture. No ones tires last long here.

Back