Tool set starter kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
I finally purchased my Vmax after over 20 years since I saw my first one, thanks to the help of this forum. I bought a '92 that has some customization.

I plan to do some "tinkering" although I am far from a mechanic, I have always been mechanically inclined. I have never purchaed tools (have borroed from my father) but would like to get started with the VMAX as a good excuse.

My first thought was to do the "shotgun" as I doubt the carbs have been done, and I do live in the desert so there could be anything gumming them up.

Any thoughts on a starter kit of tools???:hmmm:

I finally purchased my Vmax after over 20 years since I saw my first one, thanks to the help of this forum. I bought a '92 that has some customization.

I plan to do some "tinkering" although I am far from a mechanic, I have always been mechanically inclined. I have never purchaed tools (have borroed from my father) but would like to get started with the VMAX as a good excuse.

My first thought was to do the "shotgun" as I doubt the carbs have been done, and I do live in the desert so there could be anything gumming them up.

Any thoughts on a starter kit of tools???:hmmm:

I would go to sears, and get a craftsman multi piece set. 180 piece or more.

They have a lifetime guarantee and wont break the bank. Then later on down the road you can invest in higher end tools.

Also score yourself some specialty tools, ie torque wrench, carb sync tool...etc.

LOL....:biglaugh:

No there is no Sears ...yet, but Mickey D and Krispy Kream is everywhere! ACE hardware is here...not sure what the quality of tools are there?

I am goinh to Atlanta in a few weeks, so I was going to get something there. The 180 set sounds like a good Idea and should be able to ship it with my luggage.

Anything else for the shot gun I should need? Other than a compressor....?

LOL....:biglaugh:

I am goinh to Atlanta in a few weeks, so I was going to get something there. The 180 set sounds like a good Idea and should be able to ship it with my luggage

Greaat! so much for airport security.

As long as it isn't a liquid or lotion over 100ml .... :bang head: oh and dont forget to take off your shoes and belt.....socket wrench?...no problem....:confused2:

ASIDE FROM A BASIC METRIC WRENCH & SOCKET SET , YOU WILL NEED LONG METRIC ALLEN SOCKETS & I THINK A TORQUE WRENCH IS VERY IMPORTANT ! DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR & GET A SHOP MANUAL FROM YAMAHA !

That Should Do It, If You Can Print It Out ! I Like Just Thumbing Through It , Lots Of Good Info We Would Never Think Of ! It Has Wiring Diagrams & A Big Trouble Shooter Section In The Back ! Also That Vmaxoutlaw Website Itself, Has All Kinds Of Good Technical Info & Service Bulletins ! And Some Trick Products ! Keep In Touch, Ps. Matco Tools Makes Long Metric Allen Sockets That Are Cut On The End Like A Ball So They Work Great On An Angle Also , Pricey But Well Worth It !:cheers:

Definitely get something to sync the carbs with. The carbs are the biggest "maintenance" item on the bike so you will need one. The mercury stick style ones are getting hard to find because of the mercury, but there is a thread in the forum here where you can make your own or there is an online shop in England that sells a set that uses stainless rods instead of mercury. They are pretty good.

I read in a post somewhere in here. Someone found a set of Japanese Industrial Screwdrivers, and said they work better than regular standard screwdrivers of the Max.
Here's a link to the site I bookmarked from that post.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Just do a search for JIS screwdrivers.

If you have tons of phillips screwdrivers like I do, you can take some extras and grind down the tip slightly and they will fit metric/Japanese phillip head screws better that regular phillips screwdrivers. Just grind a little, test fit and repeat till they fit tightly.

the same company that makes Matco makes Sears. Instead of buying sets and having tools you never use buy just what you need. You will never use a 9mm, 16mm, 18mm, Use the Bike's tool kit as a guide. Get rid of those Tamper proof screws on the carbs. Throw them just as far as you can. Standard metric allen heads, stainless steel, can replace them. You will need an impact screwdriver that has a 3/8 driver to go along with 3/8 drive allen sockets. A large, soft-faced hammer. A good tire bead breaker and good quality tire tools. Dave

OK...so far I got the bar fridge:eusa_dance:

Good avice though; the majority of the tool suggestion is around carbs and tires....guess Mr Max is hard on those.

Back