Top Fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Nitro can be dangerous! :flamethrower:

McBride.jpg

looks like the movie "the ballad of ricky bobby" : I'm on fire ...I'm on fire ...:banana:

But this time it's for true :)

When I was talking to my buddy's dad who runs the top fuel Harley's, he say quite a few guys have been killed on them from the heads flying up and hitting them in the chest causing irregular heart beats and eventually heart attacks. Sometimes the force kills them on the spot. It really is a very dangerous fuel/machine/sport. I know he wears a hard chest protector and has straps over the motor, but there isn't really a good way to make it "blow up safely". His bike is capable of 800 HP (that is what I have been told) and that sounds like a lot, but most people don't even realize how much that actually is.

One person MIGHT be able to produce 1 HP with all his muscles working at once (for a very short amount of time). No imagine 800 people working together for one burst and put that burst into the form of an aluminum motorcycle head flying toward your chest! I think engines are amazing, the amount of abuse they can take, the forces they can withstand, and the fun they can produce!

It's true that Fuel Harley riders must wear bullet proof vests. Jim McClure had a blow up during a burn out and bruised his heart. He had to give up racing and a few years later died of complications related to the heart damage. That's what mandated the vests in the Top Fuel HD catagory. Also, all fuel HDs must run a cylinder head restraint system. They blow up that much.

Personally, per the rules I had to run a diaper on my funny bike to protect the track (and rear wheel) from an oil down in case I had a blow up. I had a fire extinguisher system on my bike as well, although not mandated by the rules. A fire at speed is bad. It takes a little bit of time and distance to stop.

Latest posts

Back