top speed indicated vs trap speed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuecoDoc

Reaction score
Has anyone defined their speed limiter with a trap speed?

In the quarter mile, my trap speeds have consistently plateaued now around 127mph. I know the indicated speed is exagerrated and it was indicating 130's already when my trap speed were 120ish, so now I wonder if I'm being limited by the ECU.

There isn't a distinct cut in power and I'm not in top gear. From the dyno graphs I've seen I thought only 5th was limited like that, but the magazine reviews did all report they were hitting the soft limiter.

I also don't know whether the ECU actually limits based on the exagerrated speedo reading or something else.
My ETs are consistently 11.15 to 11.30 on street tires at a 4000ft elevation track and our Density Altitude was a harsh 7300ft last time out. Despite those variations my top speed hasn't been changing much.

Question you have a generation 2 and are only doing 11 second 1/4 miles :ummm:

hi your built in speed limiter kicks in at 147mph if the ecu feels your on a 1/4 mile run by monitoring your throttle it will give you about 5mph more about 152mph
i have a speed healer on my drag bike so i divided top speed by half so if i'am running 170mph my ecu thinks i'am running 85mph

so your ecu shouldn't be limiting you in the quarter mile yamaha and most other bikes are about 5% off or to the higher number
my 09 vmax is a all out dragbike with nitrous weighing 500lbs making 245+rwhp on the dyno with slick and bars and ecu reflashed , i'am running 126mph in the 1/8mile and 158mph in the 1/4 mile

gary

Last edited:
Lol, yes, woodsman. 109 degrees at 4000ft elevation.

I guess the speed limiter isn't an excuse for me. I'll just need to go faster.

I'm not usually bogging. 60' times are around 2sec, with 1.9sec as my best. I frequently lose traction towards the top of first where the VHT runs out. We have some traction problems due to sand and prep. The times translate as 10.2 @ 140.242 MPH based on DA, or around 10.6s compensating for altitude alone.

I'd love some help with the launch. Everyone at the strip says rev higher, but that's not what Vmax folks say. I'll try to post a clip from Friday.

are you bogging off the line? what are your 60ft times?
gary

you need to e-mail tim nash at vmaxguru.com and talked with him he can reflash your ecu what is killing your 60 ft times is the varaible throttle valve.
any time you drop below 6000rpm stepper motors take over your throttle butterflies and open them slowly and eventhough your wide open throttle the stepper motors have control thats why your rpms drop almost all the way down tim can reflash your ecu so that the butterflies will follow your right hand throttle my best 60ft before the flash was a 1.70 60 ft and thats not gonna get it so i sent my ecu to have it flashed
my best time so far is a 6.83@126 1/8 mile and a 9.86@158 1/4 mile
you will need to play with the air pressure in rear tire to keep from spinning or put a slick on. even with a slick i'am spinning a little at top end yamaha also detune the bike to get it into the usa. at no time are all 4 cylinders making full power tim can reflash the ecu so all 4 cylinders will make full power at the same time you will need a power commander or max tuner so you can add fuel when this is done so the bike dosen't run lean.
gary glisson
silver tech
service manager
yamaha of millington

Trap speeds were very consistent on my bike, showing 150-151mph on the speedo thru the traps, but time slips showed 136mph actual, with a best of 9.74 @140mph

Attachments

• jay_slips.jpg
    jay_slips.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19
Those are great 60' times. Do you have slicks on it or other modifications? I have email Tim Nash about an ECU reflash, and I will probably upgrade the exhaust. I have a PCV but on a stock setup map.

Trap speeds were very consistent on my bike, showing 150-151mph on the speedo thru the traps, but time slips showed 136mph actual, with a best of 9.74 @140mph

you need to e-mail tim nash at vmaxguru.com and talked with him he can reflash your ecu what is killing your 60 ft times is the varaible throttle valve.
any time you drop below 6000rpm stepper motors take over your throttle butterflies and open them slowly and eventhough your wide open throttle the stepper motors have control thats why your rpms drop almost all the way down tim can reflash your ecu so that the butterflies will follow your right hand throttle my best 60ft before the flash was a 1.70 60 ft and thats not gonna get it so i sent my ecu to have it flashed
my best time so far is a 6.83@126 1/8 mile and a 9.86@158 1/4 mile
you will need to play with the air pressure in rear tire to keep from spinning or put a slick on. even with a slick i'am spinning a little at top end yamaha also detune the bike to get it into the usa. at no time are all 4 cylinders making full power tim can reflash the ecu so all 4 cylinders will make full power at the same time you will need a power commander or max tuner so you can add fuel when this is done so the bike dosen't run lean.
gary glisson
silver tech
service manager
yamaha of millington

Was your 1/8 mile time a 5.83 ? I ran a 6.83 @ 107 mph with the airbox mod and new exhaust. At 126 mph you must have done better than a 6.83. A full second faster than me!:punk:

I'm dropping rear pressure to 20 and that has helped a lot. I also have the ME880 rear. I spin at the top of 1st even though that was my best traction night ever. I'm not sure how much lower I can go on the pressure. A slick would be nice to try but a pain to change as I ride a lot on the street.

you will need to play with the air pressure in rear tire to keep from spinning or put a slick on. even with a slick i'am spinning a little at top end

Those times were on a low profile street tire. I used the 210/40 18 Metzler for the Raider @ 20psi, to shorten gearing a bit. It worked great, and was consistent with a best of 1.57 with Lee on it.

lee1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't gotten a reply from Tim. He may be busy and the associated "guruedgear" site is not yet operational. Does anyone else reflash the ECU?

Thanks for all the tips. I'm seriously considering the Vnace and Hines exhaust if I can find more dyno info about it.

I haven't gotten a reply from Tim. He may be busy and the associated "guruedgear" site is not yet operational. Does anyone else reflash the ECU?

Thanks for all the tips. I'm seriously considering the Vnace and Hines exhaust if I can find more dyno info about it.

Scott,

I overlooked your e-mail. Sorry I missed it. I will answer your question and also post it in the forum thread that alerted me that I had not responded to your e-mail.

I am not offering the ECU re-flash service to the general public yet. I have a stock bike slated to be here this Friday to start working on a tune file. It will be all stock except for the air box mod and performance air filter. I have enough of a handle on adjusting the maps and have some good base maps already built that will be a new constant for all new maps and carry over. I should be done in a couple of weeks. From there, my plan is to offer the re-flash service in a "Beta Testing" format. I will offer the service at half price for persons willing to assist me in the testing process. My plan is to cover several different geographic areas to ensure different climates and conditions can be proved. Willing participants need to keep their bikes in the above mentioned format for the duration of the testing. Although I will offer options with the final versions of re-flash service, the beta versions will all have the same options which include a modified YCC-T opening rate, each cylinder individually re-mapped, Fuel Cuts raised to REV limit, no speed restriction, Ignition Timing advanced, EXUP adjusted and Rev Limit increased. I hope to have hard dyno numbers in a couple of weeks.

I would hate to speak of the hours I have spent to this point and my plans moving forward are to thoroughly test my maps before I offer this service. This being said, a signed Release of Liability - Hold Harmless waiver is a must before I touch anyone's ECU. The re-flash service will be same day and returned via your selected return shipping option at the time of checkout. Post this beta testing phase, I will offer the re-flash service for $550.00. This is cheaper than a Race ECU, but gives us the Race ECU we all wanted.

Again, sorry I overlooked your e-mail.

Ride soon,
Tim Nash
VMaxGuru.com

Last edited:
Back