Touring bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
I was thinking of possibly picking up a touring bike
for the wife and I. I am looking at something a bit older,
maybe an older Venture, Kawasaki Voyager , Suzuki Cavalcade
or Goldwing. I know the Goldwing is
probably the most popular but also the most expensive. Ive
been looking at the other 3 and have found some decent
deals in the $2800 to $4000 dollar range. Years varying from
84 - 2004. If you have any experiences or input I'd appreciate
it.
Thanks,

I was thinking of possibly picking up a touring bike
for the wife and I. I am looking at something a bit older,
maybe an older Venture, Kawasaki Voyager , Suzuki Cavalcade
or Goldwing. I know the Goldwing is
probably the most popular but also the most expensive. Ive
been looking at the other 3 and have found some decent
deals in the $2800 to $4000 dollar range. Years varying from
84 - 2004. If you have any experiences or input I'd appreciate
it.
Thanks,

I've had an '84 venture, it was a fantastic tourer. real comfortable and handled well. It also had 2nd gear and shift segment issues I had to deal with.

My second tourer was a '86 goldwing aspencade. Better than the Venture, smooth power, great handling, and hella comfy. even the passenger area was plush, i've had a few ppl fall asleep on longer trips. I bought it from my dad in '95, who had it since it was new, then I regretably sold it in 2006 when I got the chopper.

I've had absolutly 0 problems with the wing, if you could squeeze it in your budget, I would pick it up. Lately, I've been considering getting rid of my Vmax and picking up another goldwing.

Attachments

• 86wing.jpg
    86wing.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 26
I've had an '84 venture, it was a fantastic tourer. real comfortable and handled well. It also had 2nd gear and shift segment issues I had to deal with.

My second tourer was a '86 goldwing aspencade. Better than the Venture, smooth power, great handling, and hella comfy. even the passenger area was plush, i've had a few ppl fall asleep on longer trips. I bought it from my dad in '95, who had it since it was new, then I regretably sold it in 2006 when I got the chopper.

I've had absolutly 0 problems with the wing, if you could squeeze it in your budget, I would pick it up. Lately, I've been considering getting rid of my Vmax and picking up another goldwing.

Seems you and I are on the same page. I love my Max but for the
wife and I. I just need something roomier. The Goldwings are king
for touring from what I hear. What miles are condsidered good
on the Wings ? Any particular problems or years to either look
for or avoid ?
Thanks

Seems you and I are on the same page. I love my Max but for the
wife and I. I just need something roomier. The Goldwings are king
for touring from what I hear. What miles are condsidered good
on the Wings ? Any particular problems or years to either look
for or avoid ?
Thanks

PM sent

Since you're a V-4 fan, maybe look into a Royal Star Venture. Full fairing, CB, AM-FM radio, basically an Ultra Classic, but with a V-4 in it.:clapping:

I've had 1 GL1500 and 4 GL1800's I think the wings are the way to go. 1100,s and 1200's seem to have stator problems so I would stay away from them. You can pick up a decent 1500 in the low $4000 range if you are patient , just make sure it has reverse they are heavy bikes.

Thanks,
Thats the kinda info I'm looking for. I know the pre 85
Ventures had the bad 2nd gear. Hadn't heard anything
about the Goldwing stator problem though. I found an 86
wing with only 39,000 miles for $2800 nearby. I wonder
if there is an upgrade stator for these ? Might hit the Goldwing
web-site. Like the Venture since I'm a little familiar with the
engine type. Just can't find something thats not a basket case.
Well I'm not in a big hurry as I still enjoy the Max, I'll be patient
and see if something pops up.
Thanks again,
Chris

I've had 1 GL1500 and 4 GL1800's I think the wings are the way to go. 1100,s and 1200's seem to have stator problems so I would stay away from them. You can pick up a decent 1500 in the low $4000 range if you are patient , just make sure it has reverse they are heavy bikes.

I had a 83 Venture I bought new and kept for 24 years. I put a lot of good miles on that thing. If you love the V4 you may be able to find a good Venture, that's not too old, in your price range. The newer wings are nice and smoother than an electric motor. Don't know that I would go too old on either bike. I love the rumble of the V4's. That's why I bought another Vmax.

GP

I know that the 1200 wing stator failure is just a question of when not if. To change it takes a complete engine removal , from what i've heard it's no picnic everyone I know that has done it has told me they would never do it again. I do think there are upgraded stators.

I know that the 1200 wing stator failure is just a question of when not if. To change it takes a complete engine removal , from what i've heard it's no picnic everyone I know that has done it has told me they would never do it again. I do think there are upgraded stators.

Thanks, so it looks like I'll limit myself to the 1500's. I think if I'm
patient I can get one in the $4000-$5000 range. Think I'll have
better luck in the winter anyway. I might look at trading my Max
if anyone has something, not sure yet.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back