Touring on a stock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would like to know who uses the max (stock ) for touring ?
I want to know if its comfortable after a days riding and what probs anyone has come up with .:ummm:

I've done some serious long distance riding (800kms a day) and have this to say about the V-max.

1) Limited fuel range is a real restriction on saddle time BUT more frequent fueling stops allow you to stretch out and get the blood flowing again.

2) The upright riding position at highway speeds (110kph) constantly buffets the riders upper body and helmet. This is a major cause of fatigue. Even a small sports windscreen (bug catcher) can dramatically reduce the wind buffeting and consequential fatigue.

3) The standard bars force a rider into an upright, into-the-wind position (see point two) which doesn't help reduce the riders effort or allow blood to flow to your butt cheeks. I changed the bars to move the riders position forward and down with respect to standard handle bar position. This removes the pressure on the butt and allows the helmet to slice the headwind. In this position the seat is much more comfortable.

4) Unless you have luggage racks the V-max is a solo ride. The pillion seat is really the luggage seat. The pillion seat is too small for a pillion and very uncomfortable for them on a long ride.

5) The V-max will run strong all day and never miss a beat.

after about a hour and 1/2 i cant feel my lower body ant more , but by then its time to somke and get something to drink anyways .

After one hour of riding my ass feels like its on fire, and a two hour ride means my ass will be sore for several days. The brick wedge stock seat and fuel range makes the V-Max a very poor touring rig, but will cause zero problems otherwise. It is an Urban Assault Vehicle, plain and simple. Want a tourer, buy an FJR1300.

I'm leaving on a trip with my wife from Reno to Bishop next week. With the Corbin saddle, Yamaha flyscreen, lowered handel bars with cruse control, and hiway footpegs up front it's a good ride for 3 or 4 hours( including a gas stop or two)before the buttburn starts.
With throw-over saddle bags and a small duffel on the rack we have enough room. I'll also have a small,magnetic tank bag for the misc. stuff and the S&W .38 on top.
Lew

In stock form, the vmax is not of a tourer, but set up properly, the max can tour with the best of them.

Being on holidays over this last week and once my wife and I get home, we will have put on over 3500 kilometers on my max.

A tall windshield, tour tank, sissy bar, large saddlebags, comfy seat, highway pegs and venture gearing and you can tour as far as you want, like an FJR1300.

Strip it back down and attack the streets - for me, two bikes in one.

Mike

with my seat lowered 4" and drag bars,it's more comfy for me personally.i definetly do not take ant long trips with it very much.just local terrorizing of the surrounding towns.plus that 2.5"kerker baffle is loud!!!:biglaugh:

I've got drag bars, forward controls, and Morley's Muscle Seat and I can go quite a while (300+ miles) and not be that bad off. The 100 mile breaks for fuel probably aid in that though.

i have flanders drag bars , a ufo seat , progressive rear shocks , the front lowered 1 inch . I ride 300-400 miles at a clip . When i need to get the blood flowing i'll kick my ass up onto the rear seat switching my feet from front pegs to passenger pegs , also i put my feet onto the passenger pegs once in a while from the normal riding position ! Just a couple minutes does the trick ! But the small fuel tank does suck !!!!!!!!

Except for the smallish gas tank, I don't mind touring on the VMax. Of course, I'm probably the only person that doesn't find the stock VMax seat uncomfortable! :biglaugh: Mind you I'm use to dirt bike "seats", which are little more than a torture device covered in vinyl, so the VMax seat feels like a recliner! :rofl_200:

Yeah I guess I forgot to add I have progressive all the way around lowered as well.

When I rode a stock suspended Max back from Illinois with stock controls on the UFO seat I too sat on the back seat with my feet on the controls to stretch out for about 5 miles or so, as well as kicking my feet on the back pegs in the front seat.

i found a good seat product. it is a inflatable cushion it is designed for caneos and is filled with air. makes the seat much betterand is only like $20. i tiook mine to deals gap 2 yrs ago on just thed stock seat my ass didnt recover for several days:stickyman: but it was not too bad otherwise- had the small windscreen and soft bags. i'm 6 feet and at the time wieghed 250 lbs[now just 200:eusa_dance:] it was better than the fz 600 i took 1200 miles in one day when i was young and tough[stupid].:bang head: here is the sight for the cushionhttp://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=19 i think that is the one i ordered size wise but im not sure.:ummm:

I've done a 5-6 hour ride on it (wife too).

I definitely think the worst part really is the small gas tank. I don't think the seat's THAT bad (but then again I rode the same trip on an SV1000S too). Highway pegs are a huge help!

I have a Tbag (ish) bag that we put on the back of the sissy bar and we were good to go.

Oh I also have that small Yamaha windscreen (that's a HUGE help due to the riding position/angle mentioned above.)

Except for the smallish gas tank, I don't mind touring on the VMax. Of course, I'm probably the only person that doesn't find the stock VMax seat uncomfortable! :biglaugh: Mind you I'm use to dirt bike "seats", which are little more than a torture device covered in vinyl, so the VMax seat feels like a recliner! :rofl_200:
I too like the stock seat[I had a UFO seat on it] but I also have forward controls.

Without the bugscreen the wind buffetting at HWY speeds was bad after a few hours, and after three hours on the stock seat, well, lets say that I managed to scoot my ass up on the passenger seat for relief. And the pegs are positioned poorly for long rides. Yes, it was just that bad.

With the bugscreen the wind is deflected just right for me, the Corbin seat lets me ride all day comfortably, and I added highway pegs to the engine guards that let me change foot positions.

I did five hours without a hitch. Yes, the tank limits distance, but I am ready for a Diet Coke after an hour and a half in the Texas heat anyway!

She is not a Goldwing... and was never meant to be. And she still looks dead sexy, even with me on her :punk:

I've got drag bars, forward controls, and Morley's Muscle Seat and I can go quite a while (300+ miles) and not be that bad off. The 100 mile breaks for fuel probably aid in that though.

Where did you get you forward controls and drag bars?

Jake

Back