Tuning For Kerker 4-1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
Just wondering what all jets and settings all togther would be best to go with. I like the idea of having the v-boost controlable but not electronicly more like manually by cable. I want to get some pod filters not k&n so I was wondering what is the carb opening size is for the pod filters? I am a father of a four month old and need some of the not so extreemly pricey options and i work at a Harley-Davidson dealership with a dyno so I will see how things work out A/F wise. But I do not want to piss the boss off by taking up a lot of time in the dyno room. All ideas welcome. O Ya bike is stock so far.

Just wondering what all jets and settings all togther would be best to go with. I like the idea of having the v-boost controlable but not electronicly more like manually by cable. I want to get some pod filters not k&n so I was wondering what is the carb opening size is for the pod filters? I am a father of a four month old and need some of the not so extreemly pricey options and i work at a Harley-Davidson dealership with a dyno so I will see how things work out A/F wise. But I do not want to piss the boss off by taking up a lot of time in the dyno room. All ideas welcome. O Ya bike is stock so far.

Hey! Quad Cities here... If you want to run pods on each carb you will HAVE to go to stage 7. Quarterhorse (also from DesMoines) has just that on his max and he comes here daily. Drop him a P/M. His name is Dustin.

Keep in touch as we all ride together...:thumbs up:

Hey you didn't buy your bike from a guy named Paul in Ankeny did you?

Hey Joe! I've got the stage 7 kit in the carbs, the K&N pods, a Hindle 4-1 and Kerker carbon fiber muffler set up on my bike. I don't know what exact jets are in the carbs as the kit was put in before I got the bike, but it's also tuned for the V-Boost open at all times.

What Harley shop you workin' at? Big Barn?

Anyway I think I have my bike where I want it with the exception of the Dyna 3000, I figure I need to up the timing as the bike is a little fat through the curve.

Anyway glad you joined up, we'll have to hit up some rides this year for sure with ya!

Later,
Dustin

If you go to the filter pods you'll need to get the stage 7 kit from Dynojet...or at least some of the parts.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf

Another option is to get the modified air box lid from Sean Morley. His email is [email protected]. You get a bit better midrange that you lose when going to the filter pods.

As for the filter size, look here for the dimensions you need.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-2989

For stock air box and Kerker I would bump the main jet to Mikuni 155's. You may need to shim your needles too. Other than that, adjust your pilot mixture screws and sync your carbs....and you're golden.

Mark

Where can I get the stage 7 for a decent price. I am in the vmoa but just reciently and do not know of all of the places to get the discount parts. Can I get the stage seven through drag specalties or J&P B/C I have a discount through them. And yes it is Big Barn ya otta come on in some time i am in the service dept. just ask for Joe or the guy with Billy Idol hair :rofl_200:. I would love to ride with some other V-Maxes b/c I do not want to piss off my buddies w/ sportys and dynas:thumbs up:.

I'd say Sean Morley or University Motors in Fargo, ND. The contact number is in the VMFlinks page.

Mark

Where can I get the stage 7 for a decent price. I am in the vmoa but just reciently and do not know of all of the places to get the discount parts. Can I get the stage seven through drag specalties or J&P B/C I have a discount through them. And yes it is Big Barn ya otta come on in some time i am in the service dept. just ask for Joe or the guy with Billy Idol hair :rofl_200:. I would love to ride with some other V-Maxes b/c I do not want to piss off my buddies w/ sportys and dynas:thumbs up:.

LOL and you would too...:clapping:

U motors gives all VMOA and VMF members parts for 15% over their cost which is probably better than you will get from J&P and others... I would HIGHLY recommend you get in touch with Sean Morley... His system is pretty awesome from all I've read and heard.

Hey dustin do u run with a guy named mike procyk by chance b/c i know him and he said that he rides with a guy W/ a V-max with your paint scheme that spanks him pretty good?

Hey Joe, I think the guys answered your question regarding filters and jetting - if your interested in a manual vboost set up - have a look at my post in user mods

I have 4-2-1 kerker with stage 7 dynojet and k&n filters and a manual vboost and I love this set up.

:cheers: Mike

Hey dustin do u run with a guy named mike procyk by chance b/c i know him and he said that he rides with a guy W/ a V-max with your paint scheme that spanks him pretty good?

I don't know a Mike off the top of my head, but I have been guilty of some stop light racing. :D

I was up at Big Barn last month looking at the Night Rod Special. The salesman told me he'd cut me a good deal if I came back into talk to him due to the snow on the ground. I later found out that the "deal" was MSRP, as the sales manager said he doesn't need to sell for less than that. I figure I'll keep the V-Max for that.

I'll have to roll in there and say hey though.

You should also check out the rides section. There's one I'd like to get together to go to Conesville and Sturgis on the River this year.

Ok so do i really need the manifolds that the stage seven comes with or does the pulling the v-boost plug while open work just fine. What are the parts that i really need to get it to work good with the filters and exhaust?

I just finished the job you are thinking of doing. NO YOU DONT have to buy the Stage 7 kit from Dyno for 300+ dollars.
I used my stage 1 needles, Bought some air correctors from Dynojet, tied 4 coils on my carb springs, and installed DJ 165 mains. I bought my indv air filters from EBAY I cant think of the size but they are the same for a Kawi KZ900 if you goto KN Air filters web site they give the dimensions I think as I said think they are 52 MM
All in all I have a stage 7 strong running setup with no flat spots for under 150.00 I made my breather system from parts from the local hardware store check out the posting under crankcase ventalation.

If I was to piece and part a kit for my carbs to equal a stg 7 with all mikuni parts what would the jets need to be and the part number of the needles and air correctors and all of the parts but the intake? I will be able to get them out of parts unlimited for a cheaper price so parts unlimited part numbers would be great and i will be doing pod filters also or if there is some way to piece and part a dyno jet kit that would be great.

If I was to piece and part a kit for my carbs to equal a stg 7 with all mikuni parts what would the jets need to be and the part number of the needles and air correctors and all of the parts but the intake? I will be able to get them out of parts unlimited for a cheaper price so parts unlimited part numbers would be great and i will be doing pod filters also or if there is some way to piece and part a dyno jet kit that would be great.

You'd be better off in the long run buying Sean Morley's kit. All the work is done for you and he can hook you up with setting that will allow you to ride it. Of course a dyno day wouldn't hurtcha!

Good Luck,
Chris

Do you have a any jet kit installed now?
I bought my jets and air correctors from Dynojet.
Indv air filters from EBAY
Crankcase Puke Vent System Made from a local hardware store.
V-BOOST is set wide open. I disconnected it while the butterflys were in the open postion.

Back