Turn Signals - Strange Flashing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I have the mini turn signals on my 97 Vmax and noticed today that the right turn signal sometimes does the 'quick flashing',(like the bulb is burnt) this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it will flash normally for about anywhere from 5 - 20 seconds and then start to do the quick flash. Sometimes it starts right away from the time I hit the switch. Is this the flasher or something else? Thanks

Sounds like you might need a flash module or just put a resistor in parallel with the light. Seems like the bulbs in your lights just barely have enough resistance when cold that it doesn't flash fast. When they are on for a bit and heat up the resistance changes just that little bit enough to give you issues. But I could be wrong

just figured i would also explain this a little more, the flasher likes to see low resistance which is set up for the resistance of the oem bulbs, when after market bulbs are put on then that increases the resistance (Especially if LEDs are installed) the only way to fix this is with a flash module (best choice as it doesnt add any load to the wiring) or put a resistor in parallel with the bulb. this in turn decreases the resistance that the flasher sees thus fooling it that there is a similar bulb as the oem. in your case it sounds like that your bulbs when cold are just barely low enough to be good, as soon as its on for a bit the filament heats up, an increase in heat = a increase in resistance and is not low enough to keep the flash slow.

I had the mini signal lights and the part that holds the bulb and grounds the bulb was broken inside the signal light and was doing the same thing

You may have bad connectors or bad contact. Check the terminals and see if they're not corroded. That may simulate a burnt bulb by not passing current through it...

Great answers and solutions guys. I will start with the easiest fix and move forward until I hit upon the right one. Again, thanks.

Okay, I'm finally getting around to fixing this flashing problem. Going to try to install some resistors and see if that helps. What size resistor will do the trick...thoughts?

Back