Update on:New to this Forum...My First V-Max...Yahoo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterZ

Reaction score
The saga continues: For a long time now I have been admiring V-Maxes and have been checking them out on CL and other venues. A week and a half ago a listing came up on CL for an 03 with just over 10K for $2000. The ad stated the bike was in a minor accident and needed work but he had bought all the parts and never fixed it. It looked OK in the CL pictures but you know how deceiving they can be!

I decided to go over and take a look. The second I saw the bike I knew it would be going home with me in the back of my pickup.

Anyway the guy had bought the bike brand new in 2003 and 9 months later in got in an accident. Within 2 months he had purchased all the parts from a dealers estimate, and extra parts he didn't really need. He had the scoops rechromed and then the bike sat till I bought it.

So I am resurrecting my V from the dead. She suffers from all the usual maladies with bikes parked and not prepared for storage. But I must say this, as I have been taking her apart and cleaning and reassembling meticulously I am even more convinced that I scored.

This is what I have done to date:
Derusted the Tank,

Did an on engine carb cleaning with sea foam and the "shooting the shotgun" procedure,

removed the oil pan and cleared out the oil intake sump( there was water in the sump and oil pickup area. Not anti freeze. but no evidence of any other contamination up in the engine. Almost as if he had washed the bike with the side cover off or loose.

Put the alternator and case back together correctly (he wasn't much of a mechanic).

Replaced all the parts he had bought,ie clutch lever and shift lever...

Bought a new battery, fuel filter and tank reserve sending unit.

I installed the rear wheel today.

Things To Do... Add coolant, pull it out of the garage, ignition switch on, hit starter button!!

To be Continued...
Z
Check out the photo link below of the V on the day I got her.
Thanks for all your help and for welcoming me to the forum .

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 55
Nice bike, welcome to a great forum! Anything you'd ever need to know about your bike can be found here. You scored big time with that bike! Congrats!!

Congrats, seems like a good score. I wouldnt hesitate to dig deep in the carbs, and check the pilot jets in the jet block. Pretty common for them to get crusted up solid if the bike has been sitting.

Great score. Welcome to the forum. Let us know when you take it out for a zip !

GREAT NEWS Guys!!! She fired right up and runs lika a champ!
But... The front rim is bent so I couldn't take it over 35 without having to fight a serious wobble.
Never the less I am extremely happy with the outcome of my purchase. She even idles smooth. Yes siree. Good News indeed!
Z
To be continued...

Last edited:
GREAT NEWS Guys!!! She fired right up and runs lika a champ!
But... The front rim is bent so I couldn't take it over 35 without having to fight a serious wobble.
Never the less I am extremely happy with the outcome of my purchase. She even idles smooth. Yes siree. Good News indeed!
Z
To be continued...
Glad its running. Have you cheked the runout on the wheel to make sure its the wheel or can you phsically see that it is bent ? It could be neck bearings,tire etc.

Latest posts

Back