V Boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ml450f

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and just bought a spotless 1993 V Max. I've been riding a Honda 750 for the last 5 years, so this bike rips compared to the honda. How do you know if the V boost is working. Is it suttle or should it be arm wrenching when it hits. Its new to me, what should I expect? It has 19000 miles on it.

When you switch the run button to on you will hear a transformer sound twice 'vrrrrrrrt..... Vrrrrrrrrrrrt"

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

It definitely makes that noise when the key is switched on. I guess I'm wondering how hard should the bike pull when it come on?

Welcome to our addiction.

After riding around a while at less than 6000 rpm , and you begin to feel comfortable , move the revs up to about 5500 rpm , in a straight line . Then tighten your grip more and move up to 6500 . Hold on tighter and twist it slowly to about 8000 & back off . Repeat until comfortable & let us know what you think . After a while , just twist it , in a straight line . Leave the turns and vboost alone until you REALLY know what you're doing and can expect.

In 3rd gear give it 1/2 to 1/3 throttle through 6500 and you will feel the surge when the vboost opens

On slight throttle, just letting the RPMs climb there should be a fairly noticeable surge of power and change in the engine's note around 6000 when the valves open.

Dropping it at low RPM in second, you'll get a major blast of acceleration when it hits. It the tire isn't warm and sticky v-boost will probably break it loose so be careful.

I also suggest you peruse this thread, it will get you "up to speed" with the Max.

Regardless of how many say the VMax w/a Kerker 4/1 "sounds like a big-block Chevy,"
the VBoost is like having a high-compression small-block 'come-on the cams.'

Well, that's my opinion!

Just be sure you are on clean and dry pavement because if you aren't, you will relieve "Bonehead" of being the most recent accident victim due to judicious use of the throttle when traction is at a premium.

I will say that the 'boost' is not omg my arms going to ripped out of socket, or a huge dose of NOS but the rate of rpm change from 3000 - 6000 vs 6000 - 9000 is twice a fast and has more guts. Your speed will rapidly climb as you stay in the 6000+ range running through the gears. Like others have said till you get used to the boost, place on straight line, good hard pavement, cause you are going to be moving very fast very shortly. I has made the mistake of coming out of a turn too fast, hit a the gas a little too hard and found that I was spinning the rear wheel, it gave me a thrill I was not ready for. But you will learn to love it when you learn it. I can not help but to grin like a fool when I am running through the gears.

When I got mine I felt it was really noticable when you go past 6000RPM.
Firemedic made the coming on cams analogy, and I concur.

After riding for a while, I still notice it. Sometimes I notice that I'm sub-consciously very careful about hitting v-boost when leaning. I'd say my brain has worked it out for itself, and it's stopping me from boosting my arse into the tarmac. :biglaugh:

If you have ridden flat track or motorcross , dirt racing , you should have an idea of rear tire sliding action. If not , find a dirtbike and some open area and practice sliding the rear tire before attempting it on a VMax on pavement.

:punk:

I will say that the 'boost' is not omg my arms going to ripped out of socket, or a huge dose of NOS but the rate of rpm change from 3000 - 6000 vs 6000 - 9000 is twice a fast and has more guts. Your speed will rapidly climb as you stay in the 6000+ range running through the gears. Like others have said till you get used to the boost, place on straight line, good hard pavement, cause you are going to be moving very fast very shortly. I has made the mistake of coming out of a turn too fast, hit a the gas a little too hard and found that I was spinning the rear wheel, it gave me a thrill I was not ready for. But you will learn to love it when you learn it. I can not help but to grin like a fool when I am running through the gears.

Do you run stage 7 or Morleys Jet Kit with a Kerker / aftermarket performance exhaust ?

Do you run stage 7 or Morleys Jet Kit with a Kerker / aftermarket performance exhaust ?
Not yet, it is on the to do list and you also need to note that I am no little man 6'4" and pushing 400 pounds, so the MAX thinks it is pulling two up with me on it solo. But I know when I hit the boost. I know if I weighed closer to my ideal weight of 180 or so I would 'feel' it even more.

I am another newbie awaiting the delivery of my Max. Naive question, but does the V Boost engage in all gears, or just start at 3rd gear? Sorry.
The boost is in all gears and starts some where around 5850 rpm and fully opened at 6000 rpm and goes to red line.

Not yet, it is on the to do list and you also need to note that I am no little man 6'4" and pushing 400 pounds, so the MAX thinks it is pulling two up with me on it solo. But I know when I hit the boost. I know if I weighed closer to my ideal weight of 180 or so I would 'feel' it even more.

Highly recommended as soon as you can swing it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner ! LOL :punk:

I ride a moded wr 450. Its arm wrenching if you can keep the front wheel on the ground lol. I'm wondering if someone has the valves wired it open. I went for a good ride today and it accelerates hard but I didnt feel a hit at any RPM range, and I ran it up to redline, a lot:eusa_dance:. Going to have to look and see if its wired this weekend.

I ride a moded wr 450. Its arm wrenching if you can keep the front wheel on the ground lol. I'm wondering if someone has the valves wired it open. I went for a good ride today and it accelerates hard but I didnt feel a hit at any RPM range, and I ran it up to redline, a lot
eusa_dance.gif
. Going to have to look and see if its wired this weekend.

Highly recommended as soon as you can swing it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner ! LOL :punk:
:rofl_200: it is a a matter of money I do not have, I been working with what I have at this time. First was comfort so corbin seat was first, then a braced swing arm, then I like to stop so rear brakes, so it has been small thing first. But some of the small things are not so cheap either. But it is on the list to go with full pipes and stage 7.

Latest posts

Back