V-max Trike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
You know how it is when you own a V-max? It doesn?t matter where you go, someone will say ?Hi? and want to talk about your ride. It?s part of the appeal of a V-max rider?s lifestyle. I have met some of the most interesting people this way.

About eight months ago I was visiting a friend when a neighbour from across the road came over and introduced himself by saying ?Come and have a cup of coffee?. He had seen my bike parked there a few times over the preceding months and had noticed it was gradually morphing into something one-off.

He told me he rides with the Vietnam Veterans Club and had a mate (Fitzy) who could no longer ride because his sense of balance was screwed up. They had thought that, ?a ride that balances itself? would be perfect solution. While visiting a Harley workshop, they mentioned to the owner that Fitzy could be interested in a Trike. It so happened, that sitting on the workshop mezzanine, unfinished and covered in histories dust was an incomplete V-max Trike. A deal was done and Fitzy became the proud owner of a very incomplete V-max Trike. He?s been working on it ever since.

Just before Christmas 2007, I was selecting my new handlebars from a bike shop 12 kms from my home suburb. I parked my bike on the sidewalk, as is a tradition at this shop. When I returned to my bike, I found two riders, a father (Triumph man) and son (beautiful Suzuki Katana), standing next to the bike discussing the mods.

Turns out they had seen my bike at my local Yamaha shop where they had met a guy who was building a V-max Trike. You guessed it ? Fitzy. Small world isn?t it?

Now and again I had wondered how Fitzy was getting on but I had lost his email address. I decided to call in to see Des who told me the cosmetics of the Trike where well advanced but Fitzy was having all sorts of drama getting the V-max to run. In fact, the bike had recently decided to die altogether and would not even crank over. A phone call was made and the next day I was over at Fitzy?s place doing what I love to do, making a V-max run sweet.

Resurrection

Fitzy admits that he is a novice when it comes to the V-max engine but he is mechanically competent .

Bringing Fitzy?s engine back from the dead was not difficult for someone with experience and the benefit of hours reading this VM Forum. It did leave a novice floundering.

Things are often not as simple as they seem. There were multiple problems preventing this bike from running and only a methodical elimination of the faults would bring the engine back to a normal life.

The kill switch was in the correct position and the trike had power to the lights from a battery that was fresh off the charger but there was no familiar whirring of the fuel pump priming the carbs or the V-boost test cycling when the ignition key was switched to on. Pressing the starter button had no response. Checking the obvious revealed the fuse for the starter circuit had blown. It was replaced and the startup sequence came to life with the familiar R2D2 sound effects. Recently installed driving lights had a broken wire, which may have shorted this system.

The motor cranked strongly and desperately wanted to run. It would come to life, stumble and bog and stall after about five seconds. The smell of unburned fuel was obvious but what was going on in the cylinders? Checking the obvious, the brand new spark plugs where removed. The front two were very black and sooty. The back left was clean as new and had not even discoloured. And the back right was about right.

Did we have spark at the plugs?

Tested by cranking the motor and grounding the plugs and leads to the cylinders. All had strong spark except our clean as new plug, which had no spark. Bad plug maybe, so it was replaced and the replacement sparked when tested.

What about the other three cylinders running rich?

Checking the obvious, the air box was removed to reveal three carb slides open half way when the throttle butterflies were shut. What?s more, they were jammed and would not return to their almost closed idle position. Carb covers were persuaded to come off after oiling the screws and using a suitable about of muscle to break the seal on the fossilized retaining screws. The engine had been ?stored? in the mezzanine of the workshop under histories dust and the carb slides had been exposed to that environment. The fine dust had worked its way along the slide tubes and wedged them open. These were removed, cleaned, inspected and re-fitted which restored them to working order. All of the carb jets were shot-gunned and pea-shot (cleaned and flushed) while we were at it. There were no obvious obstructions in the jets.

This resulted in the bike idling at a stable rate but any use of the throttle would cause the bike to stumble and run rough. Carbs out of synch? Seeing it would idle well enough to attempt to synch the carbs, that?s what we did. The carbs, were synched with the home made ?baby bottle? synch tool. Front left, back left synched with no problem. Front right and back right synched with no problem. The adjustment screw to synch the left and right carb banks gave bizarre results. From no effect to rapid sudden rises in rpm and equally sudden falls. Checking the obvious, the linkage springs were tested and found to be binding. The throttle cable was also binding due to the way it was routed. Both were cleaned and reset so that the twist grip gave a crisp snap as the carb butterfly valves returned to idle. Carbs then synched beautifully.

This resulted in instant startup with smooth idle but a distinct intermittent miss on some of the cylinders. This became more obvious as the bike heated up. Checking the obvious, we sequentially tested each cylinder by removing a plug lead from a cylinder and then starting the bike. This quickly determined that the front right and rear left cylinders were not firing properly. The left rear was the one that was originally not firing and had the plug replaced and so that suggested we needed to check the obvious.

Were the leads faulty?

I noticed that the leads and caps appeared new and asked Fitzy,
?Are these caps and leads new??
?Yes.?
?When were they fitted??
?Just recently.?
?Who trimmed the leads to this length??
?I did.?
?Did you buy standard lead sets or did you but leads and caps as separate items.?
?Bought them separate.?
?Did you screw them together??
?Yes.?

Inspection of the leads showed that the threaded screw fitting on the top outer side of the cap had not had the copper core leads screwed down all the way. Some took four or five additional turns to seat them but in the end all were firm. Checking the obvious the connection of the other end of the lead to the coil spike fitting determined them to be far from fully seated. This was corrected by firmly pressing the leads home, seating the sealing grommets properly a securely screwing on the retaining caps.

The trike started, idled smoothly and revved strongly with no hint of miss. We re-synched the carbs and Fitzy is happy.

Postmortem

I should have checked the leads when I tested the plugs. The fact that the leads had not been fitted to the caps properly was causing intermittent failures on some cylinders. Taking the lead off and testing it may have angled the lead so as to make the lead contact good and so the plug seemed to fire ok. Putting the lead back on the fitted plug may have disconnected the lead from the plug cap or the coil or wasted spark energy trying to bridge a bad connection. I could have saved a lot of time if I had systematically checked for obvious ignition faults instead of assuming I had a bad plug.

Fitzy has told me he will join the forum. He also gave me some pics of the trike to show you.

This trike has given me an idea for my next set of exhaust mods. It is fitted with stainless steel high-flow cats usually used on hot fours. It sounds awesome and the flow rate is massive.

This ride is not a thoroughbred. It is more of a Camel (horse designed buy a committee) and includes the lineage of Datsun 180b, Hyundai, Subaru, Porche,VW Yamaha, Suzuki, Harlot-Davidson and that is only what I know about.

I?ve got a feeling Fitzy will be saying ?Hi? to a lot of people when he gets his trike on the road.

Attachments

• OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         5.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 5.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 47
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         20.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 20.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 36
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         19.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 19.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 52
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         6.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 6.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 55
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         12.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 12.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 52
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         2.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 43
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         .jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA .jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Now that's a unique looking trike with nice lines and features, with lots of potential and a wild looking front end.

If a trike is what you need to be in the wind, than more power to you - and a vmax engine to boot - nothing wrong with that! :thumbs up:

Welcome aboard, Fitzy!

:cheers: Mike

Great story!! :clapping::thumbs up: That front end looks like some pretty major design work, do have any more pictures of it?

Good story and nice trike.

I think maybe your post could be parsed down to the technical parts and made into a troubleshooting sticky to help others. Pretty good info.

Rusty

You know how it is when you own a V-max? It doesn?t matter where you go, someone will say ?Hi? and want to talk about your ride. It?s part of the appeal of a V-max rider?s lifestyle. I have met some of the most interesting people this way.

About eight months ago I was visiting a friend when a neighbour from across the road came over and introduced himself by saying ?Come and have a cup of coffee?. He had seen my bike parked there a few times over the preceding months and had noticed it was gradually morphing into something one-off.

He told me he rides with the Vietnam Veterans Club and had a mate (Fitzy) who could no longer ride because his sense of balance was screwed up. They had thought that, ?a ride that balances itself? would be perfect solution. While visiting a Harley workshop, they mentioned to the owner that Fitzy could be interested in a Trike. It so happened, that sitting on the workshop mezzanine, unfinished and covered in histories dust was an incomplete V-max Trike. A deal was done and Fitzy became the proud owner of a very incomplete V-max Trike. He?s been working on it ever since.

Just before Christmas 2007, I was selecting my new handlebars from a bike shop 12 kms from my home suburb. I parked my bike on the sidewalk, as is a tradition at this shop. When I returned to my bike, I found two riders, a father (Triumph man) and son (beautiful Suzuki Katana), standing next to the bike discussing the mods.

Turns out they had seen my bike at my local Yamaha shop where they had met a guy who was building a V-max Trike. You guessed it ? Fitzy. Small world isn?t it?

Now and again I had wondered how Fitzy was getting on but I had lost his email address. I decided to call in to see Des who told me the cosmetics of the Trike where well advanced but Fitzy was having all sorts of drama getting the V-max to run. In fact, the bike had recently decided to die altogether and would not even crank over. A phone call was made and the next day I was over at Fitzy?s place doing what I love to do, making a V-max run sweet.

Resurrection

Fitzy admits that he is a novice when it comes to the V-max engine but he is mechanically competent .

Bringing Fitzy?s engine back from the dead was not difficult for someone with experience and the benefit of hours reading this VM Forum. It did leave a novice floundering.

Things are often not as simple as they seem. There were multiple problems preventing this bike from running and only a methodical elimination of the faults would bring the engine back to a normal life.

The kill switch was in the correct position and the trike had power to the lights from a battery that was fresh off the charger but there was no familiar whirring of the fuel pump priming the carbs or the V-boost test cycling when the ignition key was switched to on. Pressing the starter button had no response. Checking the obvious revealed the fuse for the starter circuit had blown. It was replaced and the startup sequence came to life with the familiar R2D2 sound effects. Recently installed driving lights had a broken wire, which may have shorted this system.

The motor cranked strongly and desperately wanted to run. It would come to life, stumble and bog and stall after about five seconds. The smell of unburned fuel was obvious but what was going on in the cylinders? Checking the obvious, the brand new spark plugs where removed. The front two were very black and sooty. The back left was clean as new and had not even discoloured. And the back right was about right.

Did we have spark at the plugs?

Tested by cranking the motor and grounding the plugs and leads to the cylinders. All had strong spark except our clean as new plug, which had no spark. Bad plug maybe, so it was replaced and the replacement sparked when tested.

What about the other three cylinders running rich?

Checking the obvious, the air box was removed to reveal three carb slides open half way when the throttle butterflies were shut. What?s more, they were jammed and would not return to their almost closed idle position. Carb covers were persuaded to come off after oiling the screws and using a suitable about of muscle to break the seal on the fossilized retaining screws. The engine had been ?stored? in the mezzanine of the workshop under histories dust and the carb slides had been exposed to that environment. The fine dust had worked its way along the slide tubes and wedged them open. These were removed, cleaned, inspected and re-fitted which restored them to working order. All of the carb jets were shot-gunned and pea-shot (cleaned and flushed) while we were at it. There were no obvious obstructions in the jets.

This resulted in the bike idling at a stable rate but any use of the throttle would cause the bike to stumble and run rough. Carbs out of synch? Seeing it would idle well enough to attempt to synch the carbs, that?s what we did. The carbs, were synched with the home made ?baby bottle? synch tool. Front left, back left synched with no problem. Front right and back right synched with no problem. The adjustment screw to synch the left and right carb banks gave bizarre results. From no effect to rapid sudden rises in rpm and equally sudden falls. Checking the obvious, the linkage springs were tested and found to be binding. The throttle cable was also binding due to the way it was routed. Both were cleaned and reset so that the twist grip gave a crisp snap as the carb butterfly valves returned to idle. Carbs then synched beautifully.

This resulted in instant startup with smooth idle but a distinct intermittent miss on some of the cylinders. This became more obvious as the bike heated up. Checking the obvious, we sequentially tested each cylinder by removing a plug lead from a cylinder and then starting the bike. This quickly determined that the front right and rear left cylinders were not firing properly. The left rear was the one that was originally not firing and had the plug replaced and so that suggested we needed to check the obvious.

Were the leads faulty?

I noticed that the leads and caps appeared new and asked Fitzy,
?Are these caps and leads new??
?Yes.?
?When were they fitted??
?Just recently.?
?Who trimmed the leads to this length??
?I did.?
?Did you buy standard lead sets or did you but leads and caps as separate items.?
?Bought them separate.?
?Did you screw them together??
?Yes.?

Inspection of the leads showed that the threaded screw fitting on the top outer side of the cap had not had the copper core leads screwed down all the way. Some took four or five additional turns to seat them but in the end all were firm. Checking the obvious the connection of the other end of the lead to the coil spike fitting determined them to be far from fully seated. This was corrected by firmly pressing the leads home, seating the sealing grommets properly a securely screwing on the retaining caps.

The trike started, idled smoothly and revved strongly with no hint of miss. We re-synched the carbs and Fitzy is happy.

Postmortem

I should have checked the leads when I tested the plugs. The fact that the leads had not been fitted to the caps properly was causing intermittent failures on some cylinders. Taking the lead off and testing it may have angled the lead so as to make the lead contact good and so the plug seemed to fire ok. Putting the lead back on the fitted plug may have disconnected the lead from the plug cap or the coil or wasted spark energy trying to bridge a bad connection. I could have saved a lot of time if I had systematically checked for obvious ignition faults instead of assuming I had a bad plug.

Fitzy has told me he will join the forum. He also gave me some pics of the trike to show you.

This trike has given me an idea for my next set of exhaust mods. It is fitted with stainless steel high-flow cats usually used on hot fours. It sounds awesome and the flow rate is massive.

This ride is not a thoroughbred. It is more of a Camel (horse designed buy a committee) and includes the lineage of Datsun 180b, Hyundai, Subaru, Porche,VW Yamaha, Suzuki, Harlot-Davidson and that is only what I know about.

I?ve got a feeling Fitzy will be saying ?Hi? to a lot of people when he gets his trike on the road.

I had a similar experience with plug wire problems last summer at thunder in Johnstown Pa.I had used my stock ends on dynatek 8mm wires.The wires came away from the coils and was causing some really strange things.Running on 2 or 3 cylinders.I was convinced that it was carb related.It really made me mad once I got home and figured out what was going on.Put my old wires back on and it was a totally different bike.

Well Hi Guys Fitzy here
I joined the forum last night after reading Gleno"s write up on my trike I had to have time to think this through:ummm: I mean how do you follow up on such a good write up. Well iI surpose I can start by answering a few of your replies.
the front end was how it came (see pic) this is the condition of the beast when I bought her for $2500.
I'm new to this forum stuff so i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting photographs or if I should post in a gallary somewhere:confused2: let me know please. I'm happy to give you a pictorial run down on the process of the build which to date has taken 17 months. Anyway Guys give me some direction on where I should post the story and I'll post weekly with all the pictures, explanations and answers to your questions. It's great to find such an outlet, untill I met Gleno I felt like I was doing this on my own. Let me know what you think of this idea.
Cheers!
Fitzy

Attachments

• OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         .jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA .jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 36
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         2.jpg
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 35
Well Hi Guys Fitzy here
I joined the forum last night after reading Gleno"s write up on my trike I had to have time to think this through:ummm: I mean how do you follow up on such a good write up. Well iI surpose I can start by answering a few of your replies.
the front end was how it came (see pic) this is the condition of the beast when I bought her for $2500.
I'm new to this forum stuff so i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting photographs or if I should post in a gallary somewhere:confused2: let me know please. I'm happy to give you a pictorial run down on the process of the build which to date has taken 17 months. Anyway Guys give me some direction on where I should post the story and I'll post weekly with all the pictures, explanations and answers to your questions. It's great to find such an outlet, untill I met Gleno I felt like I was doing this on my own. Let me know what you think of this idea.
Cheers!
Fitzy

Welcome aboard! Your in the right place for pics. I'm definatley interested in the build.:thumbs up:

Congratulations on a fantastic rebuild Fitzy I think you have the beginnings of a beaut friendship andI think you will find this a good place to learn about the mighty max:worthy: cheers Kevman

Hi Fitzy Here.
Well as promised heres the start of my weekly post on the Vmax trike build. We start with a few more shots of her before I picked it up.

On getting her home it was out with the pressure wash and get rid of all that dust. Hey! there was the start of Motorbike under all that gunk and the engine paintwork was in good condition.

Ok start to pull it all down and see what we have. Ahhh... shock horror the back end is only tacked together. Time to go out and hire a gas mig welder. As there only hired out on a daily basis I knew i had a big job ahead of me. Time wasted the wire would not feed and some mongeral had returned it with the tip welded up. New tips and time credited with the hire shop I got into it and ten hours (yes ten hours) later it was all welded and luckily had not warped out of shape due to the blue struts taking the stress & heat. Another two hours of clean up on the welds and the back is ready for powercoating paint.

Well guys thats it for this week. Next week we'll look at stripping down and the 180B diff and installing new seals and gaskets and onwards..........put your cursor on the thumbnail before you open it & it gives a discription of the photo.
Cheers
Fitzy

Attachments

• drive shaft.jpg
    drive shaft.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 10
  • welds cleaned & ready for Paint.jpg
    welds cleaned & ready for Paint.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 19
  • arms mount where the swing arm was.jpg
    arms mount where the swing arm was.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 9
  • blue struts stopped warping.jpg
    blue struts stopped warping.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 10 hrs of welding.jpg
    10 hrs of welding.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 14
  • rip the back off.jpg
    rip the back off.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 13
  • the dust comes free of charge.jpg
    the dust comes free of charge.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 12
  • these were the only parts left.jpg
    these were the only parts left.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 12
  • this is the mess i'm buying.jpg
    this is the mess i'm buying.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 16
Hi Fitzy Here.
Well as promised heres the start of my weekly post on the Vmax trike build. We start with a few more shots of her before I picked it up.

On getting her home it was out with the pressure wash and get rid of all that dust. Hey! there was the start of Motorbike under all that gunk and the engine paintwork was in good condition.

Ok start to pull it all down and see what we have. Ahhh... shock horror the back end is only tacked together. Time to go out and hire a gas mig welder. As there only hired out on a daily basis I knew i had a big job ahead of me. Time wasted the wire would not feed and some mongeral had returned it with the tip welded up. New tips and time credited with the hire shop I got into it and ten hours (yes ten hours) later it was all welded and luckily had not warped out of shape due to the blue struts taking the stress & heat. Another two hours of clean up on the welds and the back is ready for powercoating paint.

Well guys thats it for this week. Next week we'll look at stripping down and the 180B diff and installing new seals and gaskets and onwards..........put your cursor on the thumbnail before you open it & it gives a discription of the photo.
Cheers
Fitzy

Looks like a good build you are working on. Can't wait for the next update. Everyone has access to their own Blog now, so if you want you can even post your progress there.

Well guys & girls
Sorry for the delay in my weekly post. I have been having a lot of difficulties with getting the trike registered. Long story short I don't have the original import certificate to get things underway. i"m sure some of you guys would know what it's like trying to talk to Government dept's:bang head:
Anyway here are some shots of the diff overhaul, when it came to pulling it down a driveshaft seal were gone so new seals and gaskets alround & then we got it painted. Meantime the rear trike frame was back from the powercoating and looking good:coolgleamA:
Next thing was to pull the motor out of the frame and get cleaned up ready for paint also. with this done we will look at getting some of it back together. Trike is still not registered but i have a sister-in -law who works in the state government so we will start at the top and work down. I'll keep you posted on that one.
Cheers!
Fitzy

Attachments

• diff & drive shafts dimantled.jpg
    diff & drive shafts dimantled.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 16
  • diff & shafts 2.jpg
    diff & shafts 2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 17
  • engine LH side.jpg
    engine LH side.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 19
  • engine RH side.jpg
    engine RH side.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 17
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 10
  • frame dismantled.jpg
    frame dismantled.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14
  • trike rear painted with diff installed.jpg
    trike rear painted with diff installed.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 20
Well guys & girls
Sorry for the delay in my weekly post. I have been having a lot of difficulties with getting the trike registered. Long story short I don't have the original import certificate to get things underway. i"m sure some of you guys would know what it's like trying to talk to Government dept's:bang head:

Next thing was to pull the motor out of the frame and get cleaned up ready for paint also. with this done we will look at getting some of it back together. Trike is still not registered but i have a sister-in -law who works in the state government so we will start at the top and work down. I'll keep you posted on that one.
Cheers!
Fitzy

Looking good! Hows that govt paperwork coming along?

Latest posts

Back