Vertical mount plate--Legal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 'lit up' by a county mounty today, he was wondering why the plate was mounted down on the axle.

Told him I bought a short fender and there wasn't any mount so that was the only other place I could put it.

Asked where the lights were, I turned on the ignition and the little bb sized acorn nut LED's came on ....he appeared impressed.

Then the ol' license & registration...I handed him my license and took off my full face to get the registration....soon as he saw I was old enough to be his grandpa he said, "Aw, never mind the registration....I'll just run the license and you'll be on your way!!"

So, at least today, with one cop in upstate NY, verticle plates are legal!!:rofl_200:

Nice one Danny! Way to show them whippersnappers ya still got some vinegar in ya!
I guess I'll hold off on buying that case of grecian formula I was going to get for my 50ht! But if it get keeps me out of trouble with "the man", maybe my "distinctive graying" will stay.......

I just don't like being eyed up in December, looking me over as if I'd make a good Santa!

All this is called Harassment!!

Nothing states how a plate has to be mounted as long as its visible and has a light on it at night time.

Basically he was pulling you over to check out your paperwork and run you in the system for any warrants etc.

I would have asked "Were you not able to read my liscense plate"

Florida just passed legislation outlawing a vertical plate. A horizontal plate is ok but not vertical. It's an $1100 dollar fine with no provision for a verbal warning. Sounds to me like they want to make some money of visitors to bike week,

Sean

Nothing states how a plate has to be mounted as long as its visible and has a light on it at night time.

Basically he was pulling you over to check out your paperwork and run you in the system for any warrants etc.

I leap off/out walk back and with real conviction say
"Can I help you?"

The conversation usually deteriorates from there.

I spend a lot of time in driving class or use deferred adjudication.

ab

I handed him my license and took off my full face to get the registration....soon as he saw I was old enough to be his grandpa he said, "Aw, never mind the registration....I'll just run the license and you'll be on your way!!"

I suspect that once he got a look, he just felt sorry for you. Or, maybe you scared him? :th_scared:

Nah, Lankee, I just go with the flow these days. I swam upstream most of my life and found out it's a lot easier this way, and MUCH cheaper!!

But you're absolutely right about the harassment!! All the way through town he was riding my ass real close, trying to push me into a speeding ticket!

When that didn't work he used the "I'm just trying to read that plate" bullshit.

Well, it all worked out and he got to see a V Max up close & personal. And that wouldn't happen if he worked in JERSEY!!! :rofl_200:

I agree with the phrase swimming up stream or against the current. Most of us outgrow this due to either out of money or just tired of the fight nor have the time to spend in court.
In a situation with a cop on my ass riding me I will normally pull over to the side of the road or into a parking lot.
If they pull in behind me and stop I will usually fire up a smoke and check my cell phone or make a call. There isnt to many cops that are harassing here in TN to bikers pretty laid back but I have lived in NJ where most cops are assholes and will harass bikers, muscle cars and stereo type to just hoping to find more, its wrong and its against the law!

Yes Florida just passed a law that requires plates to be mounted horizontally.
But I have yet to find a cop, (I've asked a few), if they would write a ticket for it.
Basically the law was done to stop the hoodlums from mounting their plates so they can't be read. And the cops know this and agree that it's bullshit and have said they won't ticket someone for just that.
But now, they will pull you over for other violations, and if your a prick, then they will probably tack on the plate citation too.

So it's your choice, accept the consequences of your actions in a reasonable manner... Or get pissy with an officer who's only doing his/her job, and get a huge fine.
Choice is yours.

I learned my lesson. I was nice to the first officer that pulled me over on my Max, and he let me go with a warning. I got pissy with the second one that pulled me over and she gave me a $151.00 dollar ticket.
Live and learn.

Got 'lit up' by a county mounty today, he was wondering why the plate was mounted down on the axle.

Told him I bought a short fender and there wasn't any mount so that was the only other place I could put it.

Asked where the lights were, I turned on the ignition and the little bb sized acorn nut LED's came on ....he appeared impressed.

Then the ol' license & registration...I handed him my license and took off my full face to get the registration....soon as he saw I was old enough to be his grandpa he said, "Aw, never mind the registration....I'll just run the license and you'll be on your way!!"

So, at least today, with one cop in upstate NY, verticle plates are legal!!:rofl_200:
SHIT , IF I HAD KNOWN THAT GREY HAIR WORKED THAT GOOD , I WOULD HAVE DYED IT GREY WHEN I WAS 17 YEARS OLD ! :rofl_200: NOW YOU TELL ME DAN , WHEN I'M 46 :confused2: WTF ?

On Jan 17 this year I was pulled over for 52 in a 30. When I pulled off my helmet the young cop was suprised to see an old coot. It happened to be my 65th birthday that day. He said he couldn't write me a ticket on my BD so just slow down a little. First time I had ever been pulled over and not got a ticket. Guess being old is good sometimes.... Actually would rather be younger and pay the ticket.... :rofl_200:

On Jan 17 this year I was pulled over for 52 in a 30. When I pulled off my helmet the young cop was suprised to see an old coot. It happened to be my 65th birthday that day. He said he couldn't write me a ticket on my BD so just slow down a little. First time I had ever been pulled over and not got a ticket. Guess being old is good sometimes.... Actually would rather be younger and pay the ticket.... :rofl_200:
:rofl_200::rofl_200:Ha Ha that gave me good laugh this morning! Thanks m-c!

Back