Vgas install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I'm going to install a set of UFO Vgas flatslides for a friend of mine this weekend.

Any advice or tips from anybody I might need to know before I start?

I already bought a set of plastic leggings for the test ride to keep the gas off my good jeans.

Rusty

OK,

We got the Vgas carbs on the bike this afternoon.

The install took about three hours, the most tedious part was synching the carb "action" and setting up the cables and throotle stops so that they are all working together at idle.

I can't say enough about how much I like these carbs.

I expected them to be soggy on the bottom and in the middle and to scream on the top end.

If you feed the throttle in right the bottom and middle are especialy crisp and clean and it runs like a fucking raped ape, plus they clatter like hell which sounds as cool as hell and the also look fantastic on the bike.....

The guy who sold them to my friend said that he put them back exactly like they were shipped to him by Cornell (he had them set up for a 1428 12:1 compression PCW motor) and unless you knew what the hell you were doing to NOT fuck with them in any way what so ever except for setting up the cables and throttle stops.

I talked to him on the phone for about 1 hour this afternoon about details of the install, and got the feeling he knew these carbs in and out, and he insisted that they were shipped to my friend EXACTLY as Cornell sent them to him, which is that they were set up for a stock max with aftermarket pipes on it....

Well he was right, they operate perefect straight out of the box with no tuning or adjustments needed whatsever.

I have now clue what the HP increase is but I will say, having ridden his bike before and after, that it is NOTICEABLE by seat of the pants, which is more we can say for a lot of things we do to this bike trying to squeeze more HP out of it.

Down side is the details of the install as outlined in the instructions provided by Cornell leave a lot to be desired. After having installed one set I could write better instructions. Guys who don't have a good imagination might be a bit baffled by them.

Rusty

Last edited:
Glad the install went well, Rusty. Post some pics if you have any. Hope to see you next weekend at tech day.

+1 Rusty. Those flatslides can be a bear to tune because there are 12-15 different types of needles alone.

Yeah, if I had to try and do anything with them I wouldn't know where to even begin, I'm real glad they were right already.

We took it to bike night over at Tejas Yamaha and it got a lot of attention, he wanted to run it on the Free Dyno but we were to late.

Some pics!

I've got a movie but i don't do youtube, is there someother way to do that? Hell I just discovered yesterday my Camera did movies, good ones too!

Attachments

• Dsc02918.jpg
    Dsc02918.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Dsc02919.jpg
    Dsc02919.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Dsc02920.jpg
    Dsc02920.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 53
  • Dsc02921.jpg
    Dsc02921.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Dsc02924.jpg
    Dsc02924.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Dsc02926.jpg
    Dsc02926.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
I always wanted to put VGas carbs on mine but couldn't afford it. Looks good, hope it runs close to as good as it looks.

Latest posts

Back