Virgin Bike Racer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood85

Reaction score
OK I feel kinda outta my league but who cares. I have drag raced cars my whole life and I would love to get into bikes. Where do you guys think I should start. My Max is bone stock. Should I just feel her out and go from there. I always wanted to drag bikes but never did cause I had my money wrapped up in a in a cage. I live in the middle of nowhere upper Wisconsin. Which is great but no one to feel/feed off of up here. To make a long story short where should I start? Any and all ideas, believe me I can take it!!!! And if I cry it will not be out loud...hahaha:rofl_200:Thanks again for a killer place to find out shtuff!!!:punk:

OK I feel kinda outta my league but who cares. I have drag raced cars my whole life and I would love to get into bikes. Where do you guys think I should start. My Max is bone stock. Should I just feel her out and go from there. I always wanted to drag bikes but never did cause I had my money wrapped up in a in a cage. I live in the middle of nowhere upper Wisconsin. Which is great but no one to feel/feed off of up here. To make a long story short where should I start? Any and all ideas, believe me I can take it!!!! And if I cry it will not be out loud...hahaha:rofl_200:Thanks again for a killer place to find out shtuff!!!:punk:

Out of your league? We all go through the "First time" thing. Glad you have the courage to try your VMAX out at the track, thats what is was orginally designed for wasnt it?
I would start practicing the launch, this is the key with motorcycle dragracing. Bone stock is ok to start out on, but I would strap the front end down to help from the straight up wheel stand! The dragstrip and street are night and day difference, the street is a little more forgiving. Watch videos on youtube and take a ride to your local dragstrip on a street night. I wouldnt go on a Saturday night when most likely they are racing in a points series. I know here in TN Tue and Friday nights are street night. Hell if you can make it to TN Sat or Sun we have test and tune and I will meet you at the track and get you on a good start of motorcycle drag racing.

A good place to start is an abandoned or early morning parking lot, some where in your neighborhood (preferably timed around the police shift change) My favorite shopping center has black stripes at the concrete entrance pad to the front door. Buy (or maybe you can get some from your local track) this juice. http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4569 Strap your front end down and practice your launch. Most tracks are not bike friendly so if you get 3 or 4 passes there during a regular day, your lucky. Practice, practice... That way you won't look funny when you leave on the lights at the track. Then take all of your money out of the bank. If you have to... steal some! and make a shopping list. As with cars... more fast=more money.

Have fun!

Well the place to practice will be no problem up here. And the whole police issue wont be hard up here either since we only have 2 cops and both are motorheads and used to watch me practice launch my car. There is a track about an hour from here but would like to get some practice time under my belt before I try it out in front of people, hahaha :rofl_200:I know what ya mean by more money more go and have already been thinking of my first mods but would like to ride her a bit more than I have first(Only have 3 miles on my Max so far at 20 degrees ans icy roads). You have all been a great bunch of guys to pull info from and I hope that I can help out where I can also. Thanks a bunch. :worthy:

Well the place to practice will be no problem up here. And the whole police issue wont be hard up here either since we only have 2 cops and both are motorheads and used to watch me practice launch my car. There is a track about an hour from here but would like to get some practice time under my belt before I try it out in front of people, hahaha :rofl_200:I know what ya mean by more money more go and have already been thinking of my first mods but would like to ride her a bit more than I have first(Only have 3 miles on my Max so far at 20 degrees ans icy roads). You have all been a great bunch of guys to pull info from and I hope that I can help out where I can also. Thanks a bunch. :worthy:

:snow: Yea no differerent up here. Gettin cabin fever. I'm jealous! seems like we have police here every 1320 feet. Sounds like your pretty handy with a wrench. If you need any VMAX part specific help, this forum is the place to be. Your gonna have a blast. Stay Tuned!

Well its a small town only about 520 people. Both of the cops here are pretty nice to us locals and get enough terrorist, oh i mean tourist, to fill the ticket quota's. I had this 78 Lincoln with like 20 feet of strait exhaust. She ran a little fat and would blow flames outta the pipes at times. All the one cop could do is laugh and shake his head. They did give me a warning for 93 in 55, so I cant complain about the cops here. When I lived in South Jersey the cops were everywhere and they were all jerk offs especially the female ones.

Welcome!
Though i have yet to actually take my V-max down the track, i have made a fair share of passes on many other bikes. Same info holds true with all i've been on.
Practice on the street or a parking lot will be benificial initially, though you will have traction issues which to me really does not help you learn to get the most from the bike. If you are able to use the "juice" that Gary mentioned, that would definately help.
What i did when starting out was to learn clutch control. I did this by using my "dry hop". I'm sure you are famillar with that term? Right after the burnout, i'd get my feet set(normaly kinda foreward beside the front pegs), then get my weight as far foreward and low as was confortable , i'd grab the throttle as far to the front with my right elbow high(this way when i go full WOT my elbow will be pretty much parallel with the ground and i won't have trouble hitting the stops). I'd have the clutch adjusted so that it enguages just off the bar. Your hand has the most strength the closer to a fist it is. More strength = more control.
I'd set my launch rpm, then ease the clutch til it just starts to move the bike, then i'd pull it in just a hair(don't want the bike to walk foreward or burn the clutches).
Now i would initiate the launch. I'd let the clutch out(not dump it) and as soon(and i do me AS SOON!) as the motor sees the load i'd get into the throttle. Me personally, i typically launch at a lower rpm than do most, but i'm VERY aggressive with the throttle. Normally hitting WOT at the line. NOTE: do NOT pin the throttle BEFORE the motor sees the load or you may end up on your back side!
Here is where the clutch control comes into play. I wanted to gently lift the front wheel off the ground within the first 5ft. Just a few inches(though this is kinda hard to judge when starting out). Start off kinda easy, then step it up each time getting slightly more aggressive. If the front stays on the ground, you are leaving precious ET on the table. Too high and you are doing the same. You just wanna get to where you lightly and easily lurch foreward and just lift the front, then slightly ease up on the clutch(really, its kinda like keeping it from moving anymore) and gently set the front end down. Normally a track will let ya do this once then try it at the line. This takes a bit of time to get, but once you do you will be suprised as to your 60's and corresponding ET's. Above all, be SMOOTH!
Also of note: I don't normally do a dry hop, I typically do my burnout and drive to the line. The Dry hops add heat to your clutch which is not a good thing. BUT, ya gotta learn somehow, right? I DO still do a dry hop on a bike i've not been on before. Helps me get a feel for what the bike wants(rpm and clutch aggression).
Lastly, i listen to the rpm of the motor when letting the clutch out(kinda hard with a dragbike w/a sidewinder next to ya!). You don't want your rpms to drop at all from the line to the 1-2 shift. If it does, your losing momentum. If the rpm drops, you either need to get into the throttle more or you are letting the clutch out too quickly. Don't mistake the motor being under a load for the rpm dropping. Once the motor is under a load its pitch changes, but the rpm should stay the same(unless you've goofed on the clutch/throttle).
If you are anywhere near Lankee, i would do my best to make the drive and have him watch you and help ya out. He is one of the few that is getting the most from what the V-max has to offer. Priceless info he has.
Hope my above ramblings makes some sense...:confused2:

as they've said... the name of the game is smooth. and ass time... Practice, practice, practice. Once you feel like you've got it, go out and practice it some more ;)

Well I hope to get in plenty of ass time this spring and early summer. I do have a question as to what safety equipment is needed to run on the strip? Do I need to buy a racing membership to run on a test and tune? The strip near me has a website but the page I need has been down for a bit and was wondering what most tracks do for the above questions. Thanks a bunch guys.

Well I hope to get in plenty of ass time this spring and early summer. I do have a question as to what safety equipment is needed to run on the strip? Do I need to buy a racing membership to run on a test and tune? The strip near me has a website but the page I need has been down for a bit and was wondering what most tracks do for the above questions. Thanks a bunch guys.

Best to call your track as each track is different, I've seen bikes pass tech at one track and get turned around at another. You don't need a license to go bracket (E.T. elapsed time, not the alien. hmm racing aliens would be cool :th_termi-smilie:)racing at a local track. Some tracks push it, but others don't.

I'd say 95% run Variations of the these rules. others have done little tweaks to these rules to make them thier own.

Here is a link to them.

http://www.amadragbike.com/rules/2008/Section_4.htm#4.1

They did sent me an e mail and all the safety rules but one thing that turned me off was that they only have to Bike nights this year. I am waiting on email if Bikes can run on street and T/T nights which are on Fridays. From what I get their Bike nights are Bike only Bracket races. I have run cars since before I had a drivers license so I do know all about bracket racing, and I think over the years I have raced some aliens, illegal and from who knows where.....hahaha:rofl_200:
I ll have to see if there are any more strips around.

Parcticing in a parking lot is way different from the dragstrip. I wouldnt try and learn in a parking lot. Where you would break the tire loose in a parking lot is where you would be picking the front end up at the track (most prepped tracks)
Concrete is a great type of surface if your local track doesnt have a bike night / street night. A typical street night here in Nashville you will see about 15-20 passes.
All you really need is to look for about 50 ft of concrete.
First strap your front end down.
2nd Set the tire pressure in the rear to maximum foot print meaning....

First start out at 25LBS sit on the bike and launch hard spinning the tire 5-10ft. Notice the black mark it left = one thin line in the middle about 3-4 inches wide to much air pressure... Let it down 2lbs more.... another burnout... keep doing this until you get the widest solid black mark...
If you start seeing to thin black marks from the outsides of the tire, this means you have let to much air pressure out... (Common Mistake with a lot of racers)

I know I look for 4in wide dark line left on a 170-80-15 Shinko with my weight being 225-230 suited.

If you go to an 1/8th mile track, it's fairly safe to say that you're not going to go fast enough to need leathers. I still suggest wearing them just in case you eat shit. Levis tend to last about .5 seconds when skidding between a person and asphault lol.

Yankee you answered my question about concrete that I was going to ask. There is a person I know who has Damn near a half mile long by fifty yard wide nice flat spot that I used to run my car on, so it sounds like that be good to test bike also. He tells me the ex land owner landed planes there.I would love to come down and run with you but Northern Wisconsin to where you are at, ain't gonna happen yet. Also when at the track where would you line up at the tree. I am thinking that there would be two grooves from mostly dragging cars and you wouldn't wanna be in the center or am I wrong. As for the leathers I understand the whole jeans and asphalt all to well in years past. Its not my first bike but first one I would consider dragging at least till I finish the GPz. I am a bigger guy 6 ft 260 lbs so this will just be for shits and giggles. It will still be at least a month till I get to really try this out so in the mean time I am just waiting not so patiently I might add.

Last edited:
Yankee you answered my question about concrete that I was going to ask. There is a person I know who has Damn near a half mile long by fifty yard wide nice flat spot that I used to run my car on, so it sounds like that be good to test bike also. He tells me the ex land owner landed planes there.I would love to come down and run with you but Northern Wisconsin to where you are at, ain't gonna happen yet. Also when at the track where would you line up at the tree. I am thinking that there would be two grooves from mostly dragging cars and you wouldn't wanna be in the center or am I wrong. As for the leathers I understand the whole jeans and asphalt all to well in years past. Its not my first bike but first one I would consider dragging at least till I finish the GPz. I am a bigger guy 6 ft 260 lbs so this will just be for shits and giggles. It will still be at least a month till I get to really try this out so in the mean time I am just waiting not so patiently I might add.

Birch,
The concrete stretch of road your friend owns sounds like the perfect area to practice your launches.
Staging, well here are the basics of staging.
I dont know how much you know about drag racing. Basically how it works when you are called out of the staging lanes onto the track you will first decide if you are going to do a burnout or not. I reccomend doing a burnout even with a street tire to just clean any debri off. You dont have to go nuts and create a fully blown top fuel bournout in 3 rd gear lasting 25 seconds!
A basic 2nd gear burn out until you notice the tire begin to smoke is enough, keep the gas on as you release the front brake and roll out of the throttle you should feel the tire take grip as tire speed slows down.
Notice there is usually a box located about 25 ft back from the christmas tree (i dont have the exact spec for this distance) this box is where the staging lights are located, one is a prestage and the other is stage.
Picking either left or right lane is personal preference. As you approach the staging line look carefully where you are going to line up... Some cars will drip water from the wheel wells from the burnout, some will leak fluids etc. Dont rely on the starter to clean up every drop. Try and look for a clean dark line of rubber none as the Groove. I tend to stay towards the center example if I am staged in the right lane I will get in the left groove line and if I am in the left lane I will get in the right groove line. Of course this is if they are even with no BS down the track. VERY IMPORTANT the first 100 ft on a street bike.
Practice on the concrete untill you feel you are smooth and fairly quick.
Dont launch in 2nd. Focus on your body postion, upper body shoulders and neck, head, Be sure your feet BOTH feet are flat footed in a postion where you feel the most stable, where I comfortable pair of shoes to where you can feel the ground,, sounds wierd but its all mental in your mind and how it works... Try that and post your updates of your progress.

Yankee

I have drag raced cars all my life just not bikes. I was meaning more on lane position but you answered me. Its going to be awhile since snow is back on the ground up here again. I probably wont get to get any real riding in till April sucks but ya take the good with the bad. I did put on 10 more miles yesterday and think the bike handles well so far. Thanks for all the advice I be picking brains for all info I can get:eat brains: and give what I know.

I have drag raced cars all my life just not bikes. I was meaning more on lane position but you answered me. Its going to be awhile since snow is back on the ground up here again. I probably wont get to get any real riding in till April sucks but ya take the good with the bad. I did put on 10 more miles yesterday and think the bike handles well so far. Thanks for all the advice I be picking brains for all info I can get:eat brains: and give what I know.

Not a problem, Its always good when people take intrest in motorcycle dragracing. Its an exciting sport.
I am going up to my local dragstrip over the weekend, we started test and tune here the 2nd weekend of this month.
I live 3 miles from an 1/8 dragstrip and 35 minutes from a 1/4 dragstrip. Well there are a total of 3 dragstrips within a 55 mile radius of where I live.
The biggest key to learn with dragracing your street bike is clutch control.. Goto walmart and buy one of them hand strengthing excersize things they are cheap... Sit and do it while you watch TV etc. The stronger your hands are the better clutch control you will have..
Just ask away I dont know hardly anything about the VMAX but I can bullshit my way through dragracing most times LOL.

Just ask away I dont know hardly anything about the VMAX but I can bullshit my way through dragracing most times LOL.

DO NOT believe this Birchman!! Especially if his next words are.....sure, I'll compare slips with ya....just to make it interesting, let's say, oh...$500 or so? :rofl_200:
Watch him man, he's a world class v max drag racer!!!:worthy:
But, you already know that, don't you!:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back