VMax Horsepower

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastatv

Reaction score
When I bouight my 95, I was told that it produced 140 HP...this is by the PO. I've looked it up online, several diff sights, several diff answers...anywhere from 100 to 140. I considered that a possible reason for this diff could be crank verses rear wheel, however, I would not think the bike would lose 40 HP in the drive line. Can anyone tell me for sure what the HP would be on a stock 95? I enjoy the "braggin" by saying 140 but I don't want to bullshit anyone. Thanks

+ 1 , + Kerker / Marks / aftermarket exhaust and Stage 7 / Morleys Jet Kit can get you closer to 125 ( but you are no longer stock ) . Like I care . :rofl_200:

Yes, it does lose ~40hp through the driveline. Namely, the shaft drive itself. It forces the rotational torque to make two 90* turns...whereas a chain or belt drive makes no changes at all.

A good stock tune should put 112 or so to the tire. Jet kit, full exhaust, dialed in, can be 120-125. To get beyond that you need to start getting into the motor.

145hp * 0.8 + 116hp;

20% driveline losses for shaftie......

Equals rule of thumb for cars on dyno as well, as manuals lose about 16-17 percent, autos about 19-21 percent.......

So If you converted to chain drive you would expect to see what? 125-130 rwhp? With no other mods?

I dunno really, Chain drive is much more efficient than the typical manual tranny car since it has no rear diff. I'd guess the losses in a chain drive wouldn't be more than 10%??:ummm:

Guessing a shaft loses 20% or so and a chain loses 10% Then probably 140-145 minus 10% would yield about what you said on an otherwise stock motor......

I don't know if the losses are exactly linear with change in horsepower, or if it's a fixed amount of hp a particlular drive system eats up, have always heard that chain drive is worth about 10-15 hp one the bigger motors.

It's all conjecture really I guess unless someone really did the test....:confused2:

I wonder if anyone has really dynoed a Vmax engine "at the crank" and if "at the crank" on a motorcycle REALLY means at the crank or at the tranny output shaft without the mid gear if there is one????? I Wonder how Yamaha dynoed these originally????

I wonder if anyone has really dynoed a Vmax engine "at the crank" and if "at the crank" on a motorcycle REALLY means at the crank or at the tranny output shaft without the mid gear if there is one????? I Wonder how Yamaha dynoed these originally????

It would be kinda difficult to dyno 'at the crank', wouldn't it? How would that work?

Maybe Sean has an idea? Maybe at the factory they have dyno gear we don't know about?

I reckon the 'crank power' is something they work out with calculations, rather than a dyno..

It would be kinda difficult to dyno 'at the crank', wouldn't it? How would that work?

Maybe Sean has an idea? Maybe at the factory they have dyno gear we don't know about?

I reckon the 'crank power' is something they work out with calculations, rather than a dyno..

couldn't you hook something to the flywheel or similar?

When I bouight my 95, I was told that it produced 140 HP...this is by the PO. I've looked it up online, several diff sights, several diff answers...anywhere from 100 to 140. I considered that a possible reason for this diff could be crank verses rear wheel, however, I would not think the bike would lose 40 HP in the drive line. Can anyone tell me for sure what the HP would be on a stock 95? I enjoy the "braggin" by saying 140 but I don't want to bullshit anyone. Thanks

Yamaha rated the engine at 145hp for the normal US v-boost installed bikes. As others have have said, 112-115 is normal at the wheel for stock bikes, 120 is feasible with pipe and tune. I made 121 with Mark's exhaust and drop in K&N filter.

You can say 145hp without BSing anyone...:clapping::punk:

couldn't you hook something to the flywheel or similar?

I have one crank dyno at VW factory near my living place.
They just hooking the crank from flywheel side to dyno shaft trough drive shaft yoke and viola.

Typicaly new chain has about 90% efficiency, then older then less efficiency it becomes - good x-ring 530 chain will survive about 10k miles and it need to be replaced. At the end of its life chain has no more then 80% efficiency.

Shaft in our v-maxes has approx 75% efficiency and its rather an constant value.

The belt drive Im now working should have 98% of efficiency.

Lot's of answers here for the "new guy"...all very similar which I am glad to see..my thanks. I enjoy the bragging about the HP this thing makes and all the competition around here is now about afraid to run me :biglaugh: which is good because I'm still a little afraid of the Max. Anyway, I noticed the Max is a big attention getter, and although I'm not really into that ( or didn't think is was ), it's kinda cool. Everywhere I stop, people come around " what is that...I've never seen one. :ummm: Must not have made many..never have seen one in my town. Anyway, thank you again. Rick

I have one crank dyno at VW factory near my living place.
They just hooking the crank from flywheel side to dyno shaft trough drive shaft yoke and viola.

Typicaly new chain has about 90% efficiency, then older then less efficiency it becomes - good x-ring 530 chain will survive about 10k miles and it need to be replaced. At the end of its life chain has no more then 80% efficiency.

Shaft in our v-maxes has approx 75% efficiency and its rather an constant value.

The belt drive Im now working should have 98% of efficiency.

why 90 vs 98%? does it have to do that it requires 'work' to move the links of a chain?

why 90 vs 98%? does it have to do that it requires 'work' to move the links of a chain?
Chain is a metal to metal work while belt is something like rubber to metal.
In belt applications you only have one kind of friction while in chain drives you have them at least 3. Thus belt is quiter, lighter and can last 8 times more then a chain ane even more, you dont have to lube it every fucking 500 miles!. Belt is not losing effciency thorugh its all life.
But belt is twice more expensive to bulid then a chain.

Anyway, I noticed the Max is a big attention getter, and although I'm not really into that ( or didn't think is was ), it's kinda cool. Everywhere I stop, people come around " what is that...I've never seen one. :ummm: Must not have made many..never have seen one in my town. Anyway, thank you again. Rick[/QUOTE]

August , Tail of the Dragon , bring your Max 7 a camera. Details to follow . :clapping:

Back