Vmax Outlaw Fan Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrmaxx said:
mikemax04,

You are right on with yor last statement! I agree 100%, no need to spend $40 on something that is not needed.
Like that wicked paint job on your Max is not needed? Or the USD forks? And headlight that looks like it came off a Guzzi?

Peaple can do what they want to thier bikes mate that is what customization is all about.

The fan comming on early may not be for looks but it will be for rider peace of mind. What he/she likes for thier own ride. Trying to force someone else to like it aswell isn't good form but niether is bagging someone else for what they like.

Let it rest guys we're all part of the same brotherhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
firefly said:
Mike I understand what you say, but the bike is not over cooled at least with my riding, I am very aware of the importance of optimal operating temperature, I had a manual switch before but I did forget to turn it on several times so I opted to the Nissan switch , do you honestly think I should go back to the manual switch? it is not hard to put things back as before.I am with you that some times the fan kicks in when not needed.
between the manual switch and the nissan one I tried an adjustable switch sold at WC Whittny , I was happy with it but did not like the wires and the little box but looking back this WAS the best option and it was $19, it had a temp sensor you stick in the radiator fins (no harm) and connects to a 1.5 x 2inch box with an adjustable nob.
The type of riding you do has nothing to do with the engine temperature. Gages don't lie and if a bike is run cooler than intended, it's a negative for that engine. Yamaha could have very easily put a sensing unit in that turned the fan on sooner with no additional cost to them. None of us are smarter than the engineers that design these bikes and changing the intended operating temperature of the engine, will only cause problems down the road. If your bike runs hot (in the upper red zone) then there is a problem within the cooling system itself. Many took the advice of several of the back yard mechanics and followed their lead. A little common sense should tell you that overheating can be caused by many factors such as dirty radiator (inside and out), corroded thermostat and/or sending unit, fan shroud missing, intermittent switches, fan motor not working right and most of all, going bananas when there really isn't a problem at all. The engine shouldn't run cooler than where the rivet is and not hotter than where the red zone starts, in normal operation. Close don't mean squat.

mikemax04,

Once again you hit the nail on the head. Some people will never get it, will try all kinds of back yard BS and not address the real issues. :doh: :pullhair:

My observations; and only just that...

When running down the freeway at 60-80 mph on a 95-100 degree day in Houston my bike runs about two thirds of the way up from the lower stop to the little black dot/rivet.......

Am I overcooled at this point....??????

When riding above 40-45 my bikes temperature is dependant strictly on airflow and it's usually about halfway to the rivet....REGARDLESS of whether I have my fan forced on or not....Am I overcooled in this situation????

Turning the fan on or off when at "speed" makes no difference since the airflow from the fan is so minor compared to the natural airflow coming over the bike when at speed....

Since to me the "NORMAL" temps seem to be dictated by what I'm seeing in these situations then when I am sitting in traffic or running 15-20 mph and the temp climbs to 35-50 degrees above it's "normal" temp then I am firmly convinced that pre-emptive acytion can't hurt....

I used a Fluke digital temp meter and have determined the following;

The black dot/rivet is almost exactly 212 degrees;
That is also where my thermostat cycles at...

My "normal" (not sitting in traffic) running temp is around 170-190 degrees....

The factory switch on mine brings the fan on around 220 degrees although I seem to remember that when it was new the fan came on at about where the rivet is in the last year or so it doesn't come on until maybe a 1/16" past the rivet....

I have never seen ANY max run between the rivet and the red zone unless it was stopped idling or being operated at very low speeds....

I do realize that optimal temps are needed for good, complete combustion I am just not comfortable letting a vehicle run at 220-240 just because "that's how they built it"....

I've always like 180-190 cause it's hot enough to burn clean and carbon deposit free (mostly) without taxing the thermal expansion capabilities of the engine components.....

I'll be the first to admit nearly ALL of my experience is with small block Chevy's and not M/C engines,,,,I may still have a lot to learn but old instincts die hard...

I know in my truck when things are working properly the temp doesn't chage whether I am sitting in traffic on a 100 degree day with the A/C on or I am running down the freeway in winter with outside temps at 27 degrees...

I am firmly in the fan switch camp cause I simply do not like to see the temp go way above what it's normal range is...If i never had to sit in traffic I probably would not have a fan switch on it....

Last edited:
Mike, The dealer was the one telling me to install a manual switch after seeing it creep just short of the red at idle, he is trained by yamaha and knows much more than people speculating, he was also an air craft mechanic for McDonald Douglas and a crazy motorcycle rider.
And NO I have no problem with my bike's cooling system or any other system. you lived in Cali and know how hot it gets sometimes and how bad the traffic is, basically a parking lot all the way all the time now.
I've been in really hot weather and know what it can do to engines
how about 120*F every day, manufacturers say what they want but the real test is driving in this kind of weather under engine heavy loads, it is not uncommon that the manufacturers actually modify the cooling systems for these environments .

mikemax04 said:
The type of riding you do has nothing to do with the engine temperature. Gages don't lie and if a bike is run cooler than intended, it's a negative for that engine. Yamaha could have very easily put a sensing unit in that turned the fan on sooner with no additional cost to them. None of us are smarter than the engineers that design these bikes and changing the intended operating temperature of the engine, will only cause problems down the road. If your bike runs hot (in the upper red zone) then there is a problem within the cooling system itself. Many took the advice of several of the back yard mechanics and followed their lead. A little common sense should tell you that overheating can be caused by many factors such as dirty radiator (inside and out), corroded thermostat and/or sending unit, fan shroud missing, intermittent switches, fan motor not working right and most of all, going bananas when there really isn't a problem at all. The engine shouldn't run cooler than where the rivet is and not hotter than where the red zone starts, in normal operation. Close don't mean squat.
________
grow medical marijuana

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
Just curious wfcall, are you the original owner of your 1999 Max?

I bought the bike with a few thousand on it when it was 4 years old.
It had not been modified in anyway at that time; bone stock.

FIREFLY::: I'm not sure that you read all of the posts or comprehend what is said in them. I'm far from being a "basher" but there are certain individuals that have the need to contradict all that is being said by others.

Did you read the part where I suggest that a manual switch be installed for those that feel they have the need to do so?

Did you also read the part where I said that close don't mean squat, referring to the thin red line on the gage that the needle comes CLOSE to?

People speculating??? I know some of those right here on the list.

Airplane mechanic and bike rider??? Those are great qualifications for something but not internal combustion engines.

Trained by Yamaha for what bikes and how long and how intense was this so called training? He attended a seminar (big deal) on the very basics like where to put air in the tires and such. Funny but not far from the truth.

With 120?F every day, they must have moved Los Angeles into Death Valley. Funny I didn't see that on the news.

And as far as the manufacturer goes and their testing facilities, they put the bikes through more extremes of all kinds than you will EVER encounter.

I know you don't believe anything I say and I won't chime in again on any of your posts cause I was only trying to help in the first place and am not looking for notoriety like some.

I used to have a signature that read: The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know". Problem is that most people have no idea what it really means. Perhaps the opposite is that you can't inform someone that knows it all.

These are general comments and NOT meant to bash anybody.

Good luck on your ride

Mike, put it to rest.
Thanks

mikemax04 said:
FIREFLY::: I'm not sure that you read all of the posts or comprehend what is said in them. I'm far from being a "basher" but there are certain individuals that have the need to contradict all that is being said by others.

Did you read the part where I suggest that a manual switch be installed for those that feel they have the need to do so?

Did you also read the part where I said that close don't mean squat, referring to the thin red line on the gage that the needle comes CLOSE to?

People speculating??? I know some of those right here on the list.

Airplane mechanic and bike rider??? Those are great qualifications for something but not internal combustion engines.

Trained by Yamaha for what bikes and how long and how intense was this so called training? He attended a seminar (big deal) on the very basics like where to put air in the tires and such. Funny but not far from the truth.

With 120?F every day, they must have moved Los Angeles into Death Valley. Funny I didn't see that on the news.

And as far as the manufacturer goes and their testing facilities, they put the bikes through more extremes of all kinds than you will EVER encounter.

I know you don't believe anything I say and I won't chime in again on any of your posts cause I was only trying to help in the first place and am not looking for notoriety like some.

I used to have a signature that read: The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know". Problem is that most people have no idea what it really means. Perhaps the opposite is that you can't inform someone that knows it all.

These are general comments and NOT meant to bash anybody.

Good luck on your ride
________
Toyota ND engine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back