Vmax sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdjcedeno

Reaction score
So I noticed something that bothers me on the vmax. It may be normal on it but I've never heard it before so maybe some of you more technical folk could enlighten me on this. Everytime I am standing at a light or something and I have the vmax in first (or probably any other gear), I shift to neutral, and let out the clutch I hear a chattering sound. If I pull the lever in again, the sound goes away. I would say it's a sound that pops out of nowhere it sounds like it's just something that gets louder by engaging the clutch in neutral. I'm sorry if this isn't the best explanation in the world, but any help/advice would be appreciated!

So I noticed something that bothers me on the vmax. It may be normal on it but I've never heard it before so maybe some of you more technical folk could enlighten me on this. Everytime I am standing at a light or something and I have the vmax in first (or probably any other gear), I shift to neutral, and let out the clutch I hear a chattering sound. If I pull the lever in again, the sound goes away. I would say it's a sound that pops out of nowhere it sounds like it's just something that gets louder by engaging the clutch in neutral. I'm sorry if this isn't the best explanation in the world, but any help/advice would be appreciated!
It is actually normal and happens on a lot of Vmaxs.

It is actually normal and happens on a lot of Vmaxs.

Does common, mean normal. It's not normal if they don't do it when it's new. I've had 3 , a 94, 96 and 88 and none of mine have done it. It may be nothing to worry about because it's a common but I'd wouldn't say that they should be making a disturbing noise, just my thoughts. If mine started doing it, I'd have to find the cause, which there will be one, and fix it back to how it was before the noise.

Matt

Thats the mechanical symphony of the VMax! good question, and my best answer only comes from having my engine case split during a rebuild and dry spinning back and forth the whole assembly minus the rods and pistons. what your hearing is the "take-up"or backlash of the clutch plates and basket assy. along with a little gear play between the cogs, squeezing the clutch in and out loads and unloads the full weight of the plates and basket giving the difference in sound. With mine having a Venture gear set you can sometime hear the shift dogs between fourth and fifth gears.

Attachments

• Gent Porter 001.JPG
    Gent Porter 001.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Gent Porter 011.JPG
    Gent Porter 011.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150816_133306.jpg
    20150816_133306.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20150816_133559.jpg
    20150816_133559.jpg