Wave rotors -front---EBC or Galfer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbx1260cc

Reaction score
Looking to do a cosmetic upgrade to either EBC or Galfer "Wave" rotors.

Experiences by members which one they prefer?

Pros and cons of the makes?

Fitment issues?

All relating to a 2007 Gen 1.

Thank you

Both are good rotors (we sell them and a china knock off of the Galfer too). Make sure to get the same brand of pads as you get for the rotors to maintain any warranty you might have.

Both are good rotors (we sell them and a china knock off of the Galfer too). Make sure to get the same brand of pads as you get for the rotors to maintain any warranty you might have.
We got the Irish ones. Galfer and titanium bolts. Waay better looking especially down the long haul.

I'm not well versed in wave rotors. Is there any advantage to them? I would think they wouldn't be as good simply because of the loss of braking surface. They also look like they would cool off a lot faster which isn't necessarily a good thing depending on the riding you're doing.

Wave rotors are mostly a styling item for street bikes. Supposed to expand radially under high heat and have more surface area for heat dissipation, but most don't ride on a racetrack. Floating discs seem more practical than a wave design. Waved rotors came out to help clean off the disc for dirt bike riding.

What's your impression of the Chinese rotors? I've always assumed that they were inferior.
Tried a few different brands of China before we settle on the ones we use. Overall decent. The others were "ok" but just not as good in our opionion.

" Makes me wonder: if you hit the brakes do they just explode? "--EXACTLY my worries as well.

SAME concerns with the Chinese Master cylinders--will they WORK when called upon to make you stop??

" Makes me wonder: if you hit the brakes do they just explode? "--EXACTLY my worries as well.

SAME concerns with the Chinese Master cylinders--will they WORK when called upon to make you stop??

I'd be more inclined to trust the rotors, since they're simple metal components and unlikely to spontaneously fail spectacularly. A master cylinder, though.. who knows what could go wrong internally when you're in an emergency situation (or even just in a regular stopping scenario).

Installing Chinese rotors and throwing away original ones, what a brilliant idea! 👍 👀
One of my bikes had a rotor with about 50% of metal cut out. I was wondering if the rotor was going to fall apart that ride or next one.
But this is not the funniest "upgrade". I smile every time when I see "cold air intake", which actually sucks hot air after radiator!!!

Last edited:
I'd be more inclined to trust the rotors, since they're simple metal components and unlikely to spontaneously fail spectacularly.
China is famous for having extraordinarily poor steel quality.

https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/...fied that the,of Chinese steel quality issuesI wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a hard riding session absolutely shatter one of those rotors.

In contrast to that, Galfer rotors are made in Spain. You'd be hard pressed to find steel anywhere in the world that rivals that of Spain. (And it's been that way for centuries. The Spaniards know what the hell they're doing when it comes to steel.)

I put the Galfer rotors and pads on mine and rly like the look… I’m not sure they stop any different or better but I’m sure that’s due to still having the early 90’s calipers on it.

Attachments

• EABE0E02-D70B-4738-8E10-60D28A1F22F3.jpeg
    EABE0E02-D70B-4738-8E10-60D28A1F22F3.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27
  • AB2BFA41-34B5-4648-A2E7-B7DA6E2D6430.png
    AB2BFA41-34B5-4648-A2E7-B7DA6E2D6430.png
    632.3 KB · Views: 26
Size of rotors is calculated by engineers. Cutting out 30-40% of metal to make rotors prettier doesn't look like a good idea to me.

Size of rotors is calculated by engineers. Cutting out 30-40% of metal to make rotors prettier doesn't look like a good idea to me.
True, that could be said about changing most anything on the vmax…. Carbs, exhaust, tires, motor. etc…. All “engineered” in 1985…. Almost everything on my vmax is modified and I couldn’t be happier… it dose everything so much better!!!! And changing the calipers will also be, With the rotors and pads, will be an improvement

What procedure do you all use to remove the button head cap screws that hold the rotors on?
Do I use heat or just be real careful and muscle them out. Hand impact? What is the best way?
Thank you in advance.

What procedure do you all use to remove the button head cap screws that hold the rotors on?
Do I use heat or just be real careful and muscle them out. Hand impact? What is the best way?
Thank you in advance.
Hand or pneumatic impact driver work well for me.

Latest posts

Back