Weight Shaving

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen007

Reaction score
I know removing the center-stand and swapping out the rear fender to one that doesn't use the metal bracket are a couple easy ways to shed some lbs, but are there some other easy ways of cutting weight (I'm not going to start eating at Subway)? I know the Carr wheels are a lot lighter, but they're too rich for my blood right now.

I know removing the center-stand and swapping out the rear fender to one that doesn't use the metal bracket are a couple easy ways to shed some lbs, but are there some other easy ways of cutting weight (I'm not going to start eating at Subway)? I know the Carr wheels are a lot lighter, but they're too rich for my blood right now.

One easy way to remove a significant amount of weight is to take off the stock H-pipe exhaust and replace with a slip-on. A total header is better if you got the bucks but the H-pipe is a real good place to start.

Center stand, exhaust, wheels, shitcan all those dumb plastic pieces on the heads.
After that its super small gains for anything else.
Or else start losing street ability or aesthetics.

That boat anchor of a motor is the main challenge. I think it weighs close to 235 or so.

I've got mine down to 600-605 with the bike on reserve. But I've got RC wheels which didn't save any weight to speak of. The right wheels might of got me down to 590-595.

I got down to 594 w/full tank of gas. So about 36lbs lighter
What was done is:

• Headers with a smaller muffler
  • No center stand
  • Lighter front rim
  • Aftermarket bodywork
  • Heat shield removed
  • Plastic bits in the engine compartment gone
  • Different headlights
  • drag bars
  • bar-end mirrors
  • small turnsignals

I'm sure there is a little more, but this is what I can think of so far. There's a member that has all this + Carrz and he is weighing in the 575 lb range.

To be honest, it would seem that the most significant savings would come from doing a complete exhaust replacement, the Lithium Ion battery, and replacing the stock wheels with ones that are significantly lighter. Maybe a conversion to chain drive might be able to shave even more weight off the bike too, where as that hub looks heavy as hell.

I would think that lighter wheels would give the best improvement, where as not only are you shedding lbs, but you are losing unsprung weight, allowing for better suspension response, and rotational mass, allowing for quicker acceleration.

In my opinion, I do not see much need in shaving lbs off a Max. The bike is plenty light enough, plenty powerful enough, and is NOT a Supersport. (or even a Busa) To me, the 1st Gen Max is what Ducati tried to copy with it's Diavel.

I can't live wo my center stand.....esp just to shave a couple pounds...LOL.......The only thing we haven't mentioned yet is.........us........If I lost 60lbs both the bike & I would appreciate it!!!

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info. In addition to radial tires I've got Racetech springs with emulators up front and 444's on the rear. Aside from a braced swingarm (Sean is making me one) and frame braces I think cutting 30-40lbs off the bike is probably the last thing I can do for improvement without breaking the bank. I haven't removed my centerstand yet, but I imagine that alone has gotta weigh around 15-20lbs. Exactrep makes a rear fender that allows the removal of the steel fender bracket, which probably weighs close to 5lbs. With a combination of some other minor mods like going to a lithium battery, removing the heat shield and engine plastic, and going with a lighter full exhaust, it seems possible to run under 600lbs with full tank.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info. In addition to radial tires I've got Racetech springs with emulators up front and 444's on the rear. Aside from a braced swingarm (Sean is making me one) and frame braces I think cutting 30-40lbs off the bike is probably the last thing I can do for improvement without breaking the bank. I haven't removed my centerstand yet, but I imagine that alone has gotta weigh around 15-20lbs. Exactrep makes a rear fender that allows the removal of the steel fender bracket, which probably weighs close to 5lbs. With a combination of some other minor mods like going to a lithium battery, removing the heat shield and engine plastic, and going with a lighter full exhaust, it seems possible to run under 600lbs with full tank.

Solid mounts do basically the same thing as frame braces and are lighter.. I've got mine to about 570lbs its to bad I weigh so much lol working on that though...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

+1 on solids mounts doing about the same as braces.

My Walker braces probably only weigh 2-3 pounds though.

I'm thinking the centers stand weighs about 3-4 lbs or so. Haven't weighed one but have handled them plenty.

That inside fender steel liner I don't think weighs more than a lb. or two at the most.

I like the battery idea. Didn't think of that.
And if you have the money chain drive I bet takes a good 15-20 lbs away. Plus frees up parasitic losses too.

I don't see going to extreme measures to lose weight unless your drag racing.

Back