weird stalling issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos

Reaction score
Just started the other day.....on occasion when starting my '06 from a dead stop the bike completely dies when I let out the clutch. I restart it and continue on. Under acceleration won't stall but pretty close. Again, not doing it all the time and I've ruled out some of the obvious. It's not bad clutching, it's not bad gas, plugs and carbs done 500 km ago. Still seem to have same amount of power and idles perfectly. Where would you start looking?
Unfortunately, I am one of those guys who rides but mechanically I'm useless and most oftem get reemed by the dealer to fix my stuff.

What is your idle set at? Maybe It's idling too low?
My died on me the other day while sitting in traffic. That's when i realized the idle was lower than 800.
I think it's time for a carb sync on mine though.

I like my idle at about 900-950 as I like the loppy idle. I found that the throttle had to much slack in it which delayed the engine revving when I let out the clutch.

I would check both of those.

On the open V-Boost and the Stage 7 kit I have mine idle at about 900 ish, hard to tell as it bounces a lot and is quite choppy.

Just started the other day.....on occasion when starting my '06 from a dead stop the bike completely dies when I let out the clutch. I restart it and continue on. Under acceleration won't stall but pretty close. Again, not doing it all the time and I've ruled out some of the obvious. It's not bad clutching, it's not bad gas, plugs and carbs done 500 km ago. Still seem to have same amount of power and idles perfectly. Where would you start looking?
Unfortunately, I am one of those guys who rides but mechanically I'm useless and most oftem get reemed by the dealer to fix my stuff.

Are the rubber boots tight? What was done to the carbs? Are the mixture screws set right?

I got lucky. The tech at the local Yamaha dealer is an older guy and been around forever and is also a Max owner. Cost me 1.5 hours labour and seems good now. Seems to me the bike was basically running on 3 cyl since I bought it 2 months ago. I thought the power was OK and was thinking there was too much hype on the legend. Now, running on all 4 cyl it's a different story!
Should also fix my mileage problem as was only gettin 75 miles til push light came on.

I got lucky. The tech at the local Yamaha dealer is an older guy and been around forever and is also a Max owner. Cost me 1.5 hours labour and seems good now. Seems to me the bike was basically running on 3 cyl since I bought it 2 months ago. I thought the power was OK and was thinking there was too much hype on the legend. Now, running on all 4 cyl it's a different story!
Should also fix my mileage problem as was only gettin 75 miles til push light came on.

Grey hair on the techs is a good sign. My '07 dropped two coils and stranded me twice. Glad you got it fixed and are back zooming again.

Back