Went to Change Final Drive and this is what i found...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joken

Reaction score
Well i bought a vmax a couple months ago The PO didn't really know much about the bike other than it had 17" rims....I never even drove it yet as it is winter here in Canada,
While it was laid up i thought i would do some changes to make it more mine.. :)
Anyway i thought i would change the rear drive to a venture rear and today i went at it and to my surprise ...this is what i found...

Looks like a Royal Star......doesn't it..?..I know i should have looked but...I never even thought that it was changed as the PO didn't mention it...
Oh well, anyone need a venture final drive? lol

Yeah But the one in the pictures has a spot for a speed sensor...so wouldn't that make it a Royal star?? not a vmax?

Looks like my stock one. Check the gear ratio by spinning the drive shaft. One is 3.3 and the other is 3.6. I can't remember which is which right now, though.

Yeah looks pretty stock on appearance. The only thing he knew was that it had17" rims huh? Lol. Stock is 15 rear and 18 front

I just never remember seeing the vmax rear differential with the speed sensor. spot..
I checked them out and thanks for all the help it looks like it is stock and the one i have is the venture one ..So i just finished installing the venture one.. :)
Thxs again Guys...

The early Vmax did not have the speed sensor mounting pad (and had a thicker body so needed a longer shaft). The later Vmax has the speed sensor pad but unmachined. Saves Yamaha having to make 2 different castings. The Royal Star would have the sensor pad machined but NOT the shock mounting location.

The Venture pumpkin has as different ration than the Vmax one has. With the 17 inch rims, the revs go up due to the lower circumference compared to stock which can be (partially) compensated with the Venture pumpkin. If it actually is a Venture one, you might want to keep it on. (Or go for the Venture 5th gear from Sean which I can highly recommend).

Yep Installed the venture final drive now just have to wait 6 months for summer..lol
So what you did they make the change?? Mine is a 97 Canadian Max
Thxs

I meant, when(what year) did yamaha make the change to the final drive to include the speed sensor pad..?

Back