What are the Symptoms of a Gunked-Up Fuel System?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3BadBirds

Reaction score
My Vmax spent the entire winter in my Mother's garage. Despite the best of intentions to start her during her hibernation - I never once got to it. As such, I was pleasantly surprised when she fired right up this past Spring and ran like a top. To reward such good behavior, I washed her down and did an oil change. Unfortunately, this summer was particularly hectic and for the next 2+ months she just sat in my carport under a cover.

I finally found some free time and decided to go for a ride today. I pulled the cover and cranked the engine and my Max seemed to start normally. When I tried to take off, however, I noticed that the engine stumbled and didn't seem to have any power at lower RPMs.

Is this a symptom of a dirty fuel system? I tried adding some SeaFoam but its too early to tell if this will make any difference. If I do have to take her to the shop for a cleaning, how much should I expect to spend? I'd hate to have to do this now since its getting to be the end of the season here in NNJ.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

There is a good chance that your carbs will need a good cleaning and you can do the cleaning your self, the people on here are a great help on helping fellow Vmaxers

Crapped up carbs can cause pretty much any sort of problem...a low range stumble is a fairly common issue and can indicate a plugged pilot circuit(smallest, usually the first to get gunked up).

Since it was fine recently and is acting up now, I'd give the seafoam a chance. I've done half a can per tank for two tankfuls. If that doesn't seem to help, don't just rush to the dealer and pay $$$$ for a carb rebuild. Try the peashooter/shotgun procedures first, they have a pretty high success rate.

Here's a link to the peashooter, with another link to the shotgun. I might add you don't have to find a syringe or anything to squirt the sea-foam in with, sea-foam also comes in an aerosol spray can. It used to be called "deep creep", but last time I saw it it was in a new can that just said sea-foam spray.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11539&highlight=peashooter

I think Sean's rate for carbs is $400, a dealer could run double that. If you've got some time, there is an excellent set of tutorials in the "carbs" forum detailing an entire teardown and rebuild step by step with pictures.

I'd also go for the shotgun/peashooter first, and run a little Seafoam. If there's just a little gunk in there, it will take care of it.

Also remember to sync your carbs - it makes a big difference to how well it'll run.

In the future, whenever you're not going to run the bike for a while, try running it dry by disconnecting the fuel pump and letting it run 'til it stalls, or even better drain the fuel bowls and put a little SeaFoam in the fuel tank. Also disconnect the battery.

I've done this with mine while I'm away and so far it's served me well - last time I got home the bike hadn't run for nearly 6 months and worked flawlessly from day one. Letting E10 fuel sit in the carbs is a recipe for nightmares, and even in the tank it must be treated.

Thanks, I'll give it a try...

I'm just surprised it went all winter without a problem and then on its next tank of gas (and two month's inactivity) it acts up.

I'm not that familiar with my Max (yet) but have done lots of wrenching on my muscle cars. I occasionally just shoot some Deep Creep down the intake to clean things up a bit. Always seems to help a little. Guess it will be a little more involve on my Max but still certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, I'll give it a try...

I'm just surprised it went all winter without a problem and then on its next tank of gas (and two month's inactivity) it acts up.

I'm not that familiar with my Max (yet) but have done lots of wrenching on my muscle cars. I occasionally just shoot some Deep Creep down the intake to clean things up a bit. Always seems to help a little. Guess it will be a little more involve on my Max but still certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the help!

Pulling the carbs and cleaning them isn't too difficult. There is a step by step guide with pictures on how the remove the carbs and open them up in the How To section> In the Carb section there is a 6 part sticky thread that shows you how to completely disassemble and clean the carbs. If you have any problems, just post a question and we can help out.:cheers:

I hear ya! If it was Spring time I would have "welcomed" the opportunity to get to know my Max better by diving into the carbs. I just know my time with her for what's left of the season is going to be very limited and wanted to spend it riding her, not fixing her (sounds like a typical woman)....

One last quick question. I know my pilot screws are still plugged and would like to avoid the hassles of tapping them out till next season. Would there be any benefit from spraying down the carbs without messing with this screw / setting?

Thanks again for the help and encouragement!

Cheers!
York

Maybe, really can't hurt anything.

It's really easy to get the plugs out though. All you need is a smallish sheet metal screw and a suitable drill bit to go with it. Gingerly drill a hole in the plug, just be ready to stop the instant the drill goes through. The screw is recessed pretty far in there though so it's not that big of a deal. Thread the sheet metal screw into the hole until it gets a good "bite", grab the screw with pliers and give 'er a tug....they'll pop right out.

I had the same problem after sitting a long time. I got tired of cleaning the carbs. I bought some sea foam. I then drained the carb bowls completly. I then disconnected the fuel pump line from the filter and stuck it in the can of s/f and ran the fuel pump until the carbs were full of s/f then reconnected the fuel line to the filter and let it sit overnight. Went out the next morning and started the bike (took A little bit) the bike then ran great once only fuel was in carbs. No problems since. I still run S/F in each tank.

I put some Seafoam in the tank and tried the "Pee Shooter" technique and my Max seems to be coming around. That is certainly great news! Now I can get some end of season riding in not to mention saving some $$$$$...

Thanks to all for the help!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back