What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me guess, it was peeling?

It was probably rubbing too much and wore holes in the plasti dip then started to peel. You have to let plasti dip cure for several days before it's tough enough for a bungee, and even then, constant abrasion from the bungee will eventually wear through. It's just rubber! But, you're only out $6 for another can and about an hour of spraying layers on.

It was probably rubbing too much and wore holes in the plasti dip then started to peel. You have to let plasti dip cure for several days before it's tough enough for a bungee, and even then, constant abrasion from the bungee will eventually wear through. It's just rubber! But, you're only out $6 for another can and about an hour of spraying layers on.

They make a primer that causes the PlastiDip to bond with the surface to a degree that it might wear off, (eventually) but it won't ever peel off.

PlastiDip primer

They make a primer that causes the PlastiDip to bond with the surface to a degree that it might wear off, (eventually) but it won't ever peel off.

PlastiDip primer

I've never had to use the primer. Just wipe the surface down with 99% iso alcohol before spraying plasti dip and put on 5-6 coats of dip and it'll stay on no problem

Installed wildweasel ( Fred ) cop brackets

Attachments

• 20140614_112629.jpg
    20140614_112629.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140614_112635.jpg
    20140614_112635.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140614_122544.jpg
    20140614_122544.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140614_122603.jpg
    20140614_122603.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 42
Did a little riding. headed down to the Stealership in Augusta and put the PIAA brackets on order for relocating my front turn signals. as for my rear signals, I am thinking of ideas on where to mount them. (gonna have to relocate them if I wanna mount saddlebags)

Did a little riding. headed down to the Stealership in Augusta and put the PIAA brackets on order for relocating my front turn signals. as for my rear signals, I am thinking of ideas on where to mount them. (gonna have to relocate them if I wanna mount saddlebags)

If you do the cbr tailight mod, you can get the tailight with integrated turn signals. Thats what i did and they look awesome!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

If you do the cbr tailight mod, you can get the tailight with integrated turn signals. Thats what i did and they look awesome!

I don't want the integrated turn signals, but the CBR tail light does look sweet!
Money is a factor here at the moment, which is why I am most likely make brackets for relocating the stock turn signals to the end of my luggage rack.

If go the route of hard bags, then I'll just be using lights built into the bags. (I know of a set of hard bags that are goin cheap at the pawn shop, I would just have to fab mounts for them)

That would be pretty cool mounted on the hard bags. Something i found out about the integrated signals in the cbr light....last time i got my bike inspected, the guy told me that technically they wont pass inspection in VA (most inspection states are the same) because the signals have to be 9 inches apart from each other. He passed it anyway but i never knew that and i'm sure most on here have never checked the inspection laws in thier state either.

That would be pretty cool mounted on the hard bags. Something i found out about the integrated signals in the cbr light....last time i got my bike inspected, the guy told me that technically they wont pass inspection in VA (most inspection states are the same) because the signals have to be 9 inches apart from each other. He passed it anyway but i never knew that and i'm sure most on here have never checked the inspection laws in thier state either.

I might be moving back to VA in the next couple months. If I have other signals that are 9" apart do you think it will pass? I'll have them on my plate bracket and actual signals mounted on brackets that come out from under the fender.

As long as they are 9 inches apart from bulb to bulb is what he told me. Most inspection stations probably wouldnt even think about rule anyway. Most only look to make sure they work or not.

Texas you don't even have to have signals on a bike, or maybe it's just bikes that came without them when new,....Kyle do you know??!

Aint gotta have em here either, you can just use.hand signals. But if you do, they have to be 9 inches apart apparently. Crazy shit

As long as they are 9 inches apart from bulb to bulb is what he told me. Most inspection stations probably wouldnt even think about rule anyway. Most only look to make sure they work or not.

Here in Maine, most places just look to make certain that they work.

Texas you don't even have to have signals on a bike, or maybe it's just bikes that came without them when new,....Kyle do you know??!
I do prefer to have them though. It's one of the things I prefer to use.

Do post it! I have a virago rail just waiting for some free time. Curious on what pad you used or if you just fabbed the pad?

here ya go. bought the pad on ebay 14 bucks shipped.
i'm going to clean up the mount.When i get time. this is just kind of a prototype.
see how she likes it kinda thing. And i can remove the pad. by taking out the 1 bolt on the top.I did drill a hole through the grab bar. just haven't threaded it yet.
so i stuck that bolt in.It's strong you can grab the pad only and shake the entire bike. And it feels solid.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 47
i'm going to clean up the mount.When i get time. this is just kind of a prototype.
see how she likes it kinda thing. And i can remove the pad. by taking out the 1 bolt on the top.I did drill a hole through the grab bar. just haven't threaded it yet.
so i stuck that bolt in.It's strong you can grab the pad only and shake the entire bike. And it feels solid.

Cool, but not quite the look I'm looking for. Sean has 2 design I'm waiting on to look at, & if that don't tickle my fancy I probably make my own. Thanks for the pic

Cleaned the switch housings just now. They seem to be doing better, with a lot less sticking, and the horn actually sounds like it's up to 100%. (still the freakin clown car weak stocker though, something I'll have to correct in the future) Was a PITA getting all the wires routed just perfect to allow the halfs to go back together, and I made a hell of a mess with all the WD40, but that shit cleans up, and now I can go for a ride.

Very nicely done!

This weekend I turned about 800 miles on a round trip to New Orleans. I learned that Lola is happy as pie cruising at 100+MPH for extended stretches. I'm liking the Fatmax batwing more every day.

No turn signals are required. But if signals are installed, they must work. Actually got my inspection sticker before deciding how I was gonna do the front turn signals. I simply left the CBR tail light signals unwired and the inspector didn't know they were there.

Case you're wondering Texas requires at least one rear view mirror.

This weekend I turned about 800 miles on a round trip to New Orleans. I learned that Lola is happy as pie cruising at 100+MPH for extended stretches. I'm liking the Fatmax batwing more every day.

No turn signals are required. But if signals are installed, they must work. Actually got my inspection sticker before deciding how I was gonna do the front turn signals. I simply left the CBR tail light signals unwired and the inspector didn't know they were there.

Case you're wondering Texas requires at least one rear view mirror.
Yep no signals required & the old Vmax's don't mind running 100 for extended stretches. I ran my 99 from Santa Fe TX to New port Richie , FL running a 100 or over for at least 3/4 of the trip & that was a tiring strait thru trip.

Dash, you could go with the relocation kit like this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-912. Its basically a bracket that fastens behind your license plate and give you a place to mount your turn signals. I ended up fabbing up a bracket like this and here is how it turned out with some smaller signals:

This last photo still has the ugly taillight mounted high, but you get the idea for the signals:

Dash, you could go with the relocation kit like this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-912. Its basically a bracket that fastens behind your license plate and give you a place to mount your turn signals. I ended up fabbing up a bracket like this and here is how it turned out with some smaller signals:

THAT looks like it will be PERFECT!!! Thank you. And I think I have figured out just how to mount the saddlebags as well. Gonna make a bracket that secures to the rack that both bags will be solidly mounted to. At one point, I was thinking I could mount tabs to the saddlebag brackets, but then I would not be able to remove the saddlebags when I get to my destination.

You, good Sir, have helped me tremendously with that link.

New Info:
Put that very same relocation kit on order up at Starting Line. Saved me a couple $$ too. I should have it in this Friday.

Last edited:
Back