What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna share my opinion. If it's a question of getting home, a rope plug should allow you to re-inflate the tire, after removing the nail. Carrying a 'mushroom' plug and the inserting tool isn't something anyone is likely going to do for around the house riding, maybe on a trip away from home. I've used a rope plug to get-home before, but being close-to the side of the sidewall like yours, I bit the bullet and replaced the tire.

I once installed a new Dunlop, it was a week-old and I was doing errands when I left the bank and returned to my bike, to find the new rear tire flat. There was a 'foreign object' in it, more-towards the center than at the sidewall. I slowly returned home, which was only about 1 mile away, and parked the bike. To repair the tire, I removed it, and patched it with an inside-the-tire patch, and put it aside to use for a 'roll-around tire' on a bike being worked-upon, but I never considered using it to return it to service. That's just me, you may be willing to play the odds. I'm not. BTW, the 'foreign object' was a Craftsman allen wrench, a very-small one, and it went-in just-like a nail, and it stayed there while I rode home. It's still in the top shelf of one of my toolboxes to remind me.

Yes, trashing a new tire is a bit of money, but if I wrecked because the patched tire failed, causing a wreck, what's the cost? I know there are plenty of people who will enter anecdotal stories about repairing a tire, and riding with it, but for me, I'll buy a new one, and do the same, next-time it may happen.

Wasted Tire
I could not have a brand new tire and not use it. I would smoke it. try a few burnouts.
Paint the driveway with deep black stripes
I have a spare rim and tire I use to bring to Laconia for special times like that.
It's why my bike loves me

I missed out replacing the rubber guard under the ignition bits on my gen 1. So tonight i started to fit it. Before fitting I wanted to check out both ends of the front cylinders ht leads. Trying to unscrew the coil tower nut on the rh cylinder, it runs against the vboost motor. Is this normal? Trying to see up there if anything has moved or been refitted wrongly is difficult, I didn't have enough light and wasn't in the right frame of mind so left it. For now.

Spent a couple of hours taking this to bits tonight - I decided I wanted to clean out all the myriad of loom plugs and sockets, as well as the coil towers. Most of them were OK, even the ecu looked OK, not much verdigris on the pins. I noticed a load of oil on the loom up to the map sensor. A quick blow on the inlet told me it was boogad - the air came straight out of the equalising hole next to the electrical socket on the sensor- which explains the oil. Progress then.

Repairs made to 1985 Vmax

1. When I got it, I was told it only need a clutch. (ha) I proceeded to tear out the clutch pack and order new plates…came to find out that it had a venture clutch setup, so I had to send back the parts I’d ordered and get the right ones for what I had laid out. I went with the venture setup just because of a couple of the parts availability was questionable, and that diaphragm spring was really expensive! So I bought an extra full plate and tossed out the 1/2 plate and the chatter shims.
  2. Once I got the clutch buttoned up I checked the clutch action…nothing. Didn’t realize the max had a hydraulic clutch. So I changed the fluid, bled it and whallah! I had clutch. Now we’re cooking!
  3. Bought a new battery, installed.
  4. I bought a water reservoir on eBay, the other was cracked with a piece of tape covering a hole in it. I had order one off a site, but wound up cancelling the order because they were sending it from freaking China, and it wasn’t gonna arrive for a month and a half.
  5. New coolant.
  6. I had to buy the short curved piece of fuel hose under the seat because there wasn’t one there…that was kinda hard to figure out since there was just a hose that was bent to the point of crimping off the flow…
  7. Wow, no gas filter, really? Bought a clear one at Orielly’s so I could see what kind of trash was in the tank.
  8. So couldn’t wait, cranked it. Starts, but only runs on about 2 cylinders. Trash in the filter. Crap.
  9. Clean plugs, check wires, check compression(160+). All good. Crap.
  10. Pull off the carbs, and start looking in the bowls. Crap.
  11. I wind up sending the carbs to a guy in NY to rebuild. (Thanks again Danny)
  12. Pulled the tank out from under the seat (easier said than done) and had it cleaned and lined, not wanting to ruin my fresh carbs.
  13. Replaced the low fuel indicator, it was rusted into pieces. Inside of tank was total rust.
  14. New lines and she’s ready to fire up again.
  15. OMG!! Shit this thing is fast.
  16. Now, back to the shop to make sure the carbs are synced.
  17. While it’s there, rebuild the front forks, check the valve clearance and the timing.
  18. Now to solve the mystery of the spider web of wires under the seat, and get the lights working.
  19. Bought a brake light switch that was missing, and got the lights all working.
  20. I failed to mention…when I had the bike tore down getting the tank out, I got a look at the back of the motor, and something didn’t look right. Where the rear timing chain tensioner goes there was this rubber cap, held on by freaking JB Weld!! Shit. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to work on bikes. Upon removal, I discover the spring and the bolt for keeping the cam chain under tension are gone. So I find one on Ebay and install it. THAT pissed me off, what a freaking moron! I wouldn’t have found that had I not had the bike tore down. It’s under a heat shield and between the rear exhaust outlets. Asshole.
  21. New brake shoes, still doesn’t stop well enough to suit me.
  22. New front and rear tires. The others were about 15 years old.
  23. I took a needle and thread to the seat until I can find one. I bid on a Corbin on Ebay but the price went too high for me
  24. Found a stock windshield to replace the one that had apparently been shattered.
  25. I put the stock pipes back on it. It came with some slip on Kerkers which were put on BADLY, one stuck out further than the other, the left one wasn’t secured properly, and they’d been tampered with besides. (Holes drilled, insides messed with…and tac welded to the existing pipes) Much happier with the look of the stock pipes, and the sound is, well it sounds stock, which is pretty sweet. I plan to get a set of custom pipes eventually to add a little volume to it, though.
  26. While we’re talking about pipes, one thing I haven’t fixed that needs it is that it has a busted off exhaust manifold bolt in the front of the engine. Figured I’d have that taken care of when I get new pipes.
  27. To be continued…

Repairs made to 1985 Vmax
  1. When I got it, I was told it only need a clutch. (ha) I proceeded to tear out the clutch pack and order new plates…came to find out that it had a venture clutch setup, so I had to send back the parts I’d ordered and get the right ones for what I had laid out. I went with the venture setup just because of a couple of the parts availability was questionable, and that diaphragm spring was really expensive! So I bought an extra full plate and tossed out the 1/2 plate and the chatter shims.
  2. Once I got the clutch buttoned up I checked the clutch action…nothing. Didn’t realize the max had a hydraulic clutch. So I changed the fluid, bled it and whallah! I had clutch. Now we’re cooking!
  3. Bought a new battery, installed.
  4. I bought a water reservoir on eBay, the other was cracked with a piece of tape covering a hole in it. I had order one off a site, but wound up cancelling the order because they were sending it from freaking China, and it wasn’t gonna arrive for a month and a half.
  5. New coolant.
  6. I had to buy the short curved piece of fuel hose under the seat because there wasn’t one there…that was kinda hard to figure out since there was just a hose that was bent to the point of crimping off the flow…
  7. Wow, no gas filter, really? Bought a clear one at Orielly’s so I could see what kind of trash was in the tank.
  8. So couldn’t wait, cranked it. Starts, but only runs on about 2 cylinders. Trash in the filter. Crap.
  9. Clean plugs, check wires, check compression(160+). All good. Crap.
  10. Pull off the carbs, and start looking in the bowls. Crap.
  11. I wind up sending the carbs to a guy in NY to rebuild. (Thanks again Danny)
  12. Pulled the tank out from under the seat (easier said than done) and had it cleaned and lined, not wanting to ruin my fresh carbs.
  13. Replaced the low fuel indicator, it was rusted into pieces. Inside of tank was total rust.
  14. New lines and she’s ready to fire up again.
  15. OMG!! Shit this thing is fast.
  16. Now, back to the shop to make sure the carbs are synced.
  17. While it’s there, rebuild the front forks, check the valve clearance and the timing.
  18. Now to solve the mystery of the spider web of wires under the seat, and get the lights working.
  19. Bought a brake light switch that was missing, and got the lights all working.
  20. I failed to mention…when I had the bike tore down getting the tank out, I got a look at the back of the motor, and something didn’t look right. Where the rear timing chain tensioner goes there was this rubber cap, held on by freaking JB Weld!! Shit. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to work on bikes. Upon removal, I discover the spring and the bolt for keeping the cam chain under tension are gone. So I find one on Ebay and install it. THAT pissed me off, what a freaking moron! I wouldn’t have found that had I not had the bike tore down. It’s under a heat shield and between the rear exhaust outlets. Asshole.
  21. New brake shoes, still doesn’t stop well enough to suit me.
  22. New front and rear tires. The others were about 15 years old.
  23. I took a needle and thread to the seat until I can find one. I bid on a Corbin on Ebay but the price went too high for me
  24. Found a stock windshield to replace the one that had apparently been shattered.
  25. I put the stock pipes back on it. It came with some slip on Kerkers which were put on BADLY, one stuck out further than the other, the left one wasn’t secured properly, and they’d been tampered with besides. (Holes drilled, insides messed with…and tac welded to the existing pipes) Much happier with the look of the stock pipes, and the sound is, well it sounds stock, which is pretty sweet. I plan to get a set of custom pipes eventually to add a little volume to it, though.
  26. While we’re talking about pipes, one thing I haven’t fixed that needs it is that it has a busted off exhaust manifold bolt in the front of the engine. Figured I’d have that taken care of when I get new pipes.
I have questions/comments.
#6: you can just make a 8" loop of 1/4" cloth-reinforced gas line and that will provide you with a non-kinked loop for the gas tank pipe to the gas filter.

#9: how do you check compression, where's the throttle?

#12: how was the tank cleaned? What did you use for a liner product?

#21: New brake shoes, still doesn’t stop well enough to suit me.
I know your problem, and the solution! Someone swapped-out your disc brakes for drum brakes! Sean Morley has a bracket and can give you a Hyabusa 6-pot (3 opposed piston pairs) caliper, and the rotor to-fit your early model caliper bolt spacing, it will eliminate some weight on the front as you only need one caliper.

Thanks for the responses, trying to learn about products and processes.

So, I'm installing Sean's HD oiling kit... I'm waiting for gaskets, rings, etc from Sean.... So cleaning up etc. Have a look at what I found in the pickup... Open to guesses, opinions, I have no idea. Maybe clutch material?! Oh, and found my compression issue... three of four pistons had the compression rings lined up!!!! What is the chance of that?

Attachments

• IMG_6732[1].JPG
    IMG_6732[1].JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 48
found my compression issue... three of four pistons had the compression rings lined up!!!! What is the chance of that?
probably quite high if the person reassembling had no idea... the question is why the other one was different.

I installed a Puig windscreen ( smoke ) on my 2012. Tried for days on the internet to find something else.
Didn't care for the factory offering either.
After install it looks pretty good .
Will wait for this cool spell to pass then test it out. Should help against the wind.
I have ordered those expensive Corbinstore peg lowering plates but have not received as yet.
Are they a bogus operation ? Have tried to contact them with no luck.
Anyone have any experiences with them ?

Found out that it's best either to change to 2nd before vboost or after, not just as it kicks in. Nearly lost the left bar when I clutched it - eek....

probably quite high if the person reassembling had no idea... the question is why the other one was different.
The discussion among mech buddies is they walk a bit during operation and it's not unheard of to see some lined up, not 3 out of 4 cylinders mind you...

I installed a Puig windscreen ( smoke ) on my 2012. Tried for days on the internet to find something else.
Didn't care for the factory offering either.
After install it looks pretty good .
Will wait for this cool spell to pass then test it out. Should help against the wind.
I have ordered those expensive Corbinstore peg lowering plates but have not received as yet.
Are they a bogus operation ? Have tried to contact them with no luck.
Anyone have any experiences with them ?

I purchased those. Didn't have any issue getting them. Price stinks and they are pretty basic. Too bad no one else makes them. Would be simple to do. However they do work for me and I am happy to have them.

Fitted the replacement map sensor - more oomph low down, probably better mpg too. Cut the old one open, the map sensor had come off the inlet inside it, still went in the bin though.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Someone else has been in here before me... there's Yamabond all over everything..

Sanded down the upper portion of my scoops to get rid of the corrosion. Fingertips quite sore from holding 120/240 grade wet n dry.

Need to figure out a way to align the sanding marks then give a quick blow over with clear laquer maybe with a tiny amount of grey paint added. I could polish to a mirror finish but trying to keep looking original.

Didn't take any before photos but if it goes well I'll post the results.

Finally got around to taking off the laser cans and fitting the slash cut cans. Took a lot of cutting and welding but managed to keep the H-Pipe sections underneath.

Attachments

• 7556AEEE-B552-4420-9553-CF9A83847BB2.jpeg
    7556AEEE-B552-4420-9553-CF9A83847BB2.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1A8713AB-896A-4FA6-B5FA-4B079369CA48.jpeg
    1A8713AB-896A-4FA6-B5FA-4B079369CA48.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 27
  • D0207759-6990-493D-A7E2-14242276C4AA.jpeg
    D0207759-6990-493D-A7E2-14242276C4AA.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 28
  • 6537F1FF-8689-4806-A4F2-34A7425A8D12.jpeg
    6537F1FF-8689-4806-A4F2-34A7425A8D12.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 05332E52-6C59-4BAE-8FD0-BB493AC382AB.jpeg
    05332E52-6C59-4BAE-8FD0-BB493AC382AB.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 52974703-56A4-4E13-9CE3-E113BAFEDE0B.jpeg
    52974703-56A4-4E13-9CE3-E113BAFEDE0B.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 5C7E2115-8D17-41BE-9D1E-C31770B6EC35.jpeg
    5C7E2115-8D17-41BE-9D1E-C31770B6EC35.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 59BE68F3-339E-4B29-B273-A78CBB7E3BC9.jpeg
    59BE68F3-339E-4B29-B273-A78CBB7E3BC9.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
  • D7F02622-9923-4D10-A252-A397221E04CE.jpeg
    D7F02622-9923-4D10-A252-A397221E04CE.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 32BCC22F-E2AA-4CDC-95E1-D5223DC8AB38.jpeg
    32BCC22F-E2AA-4CDC-95E1-D5223DC8AB38.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
Sanded down the upper portion of my scoops to get rid of the corrosion. Fingertips quite sore from holding 120/240 grade wet n dry.

Need to figure out a way to align the sanding marks then give a quick blow over with clear laquer maybe with a tiny amount of grey paint added. I could polish to a mirror finish but trying to keep looking original.

Didn't take any before photos but if it goes well I'll post the results.

you can wrap the ends of your fingers in masking tape to stop them getting sore, to align all the sanding marks you could use a scotch cloth type disc in a drill to finish it off

working on design to put on the rear fender to protect it from my backpack i use for long rides with the wife. It will be a vinyl decal that will take the scratches vs the paint. What ya think and what colors. I was thinking as close to the original red flame color on the tank and silver for VMAX. 2005 VMAX

Attachments

• backpack.jpg
    backpack.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 17
  • before4.jpg
    before4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 18
  • before5.jpg
    before5.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 19
  • rear fender.jpg
    rear fender.jpg