What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V-four, did you remove the radiator screen to paint it? I need to do mine.
yes if you want to paint both side and don't want to paint the radiator (screen semi-gloss black, radiator matt black)

4 screws to remove the plastic side guards then another 4 to remove the grille - shouldn't take more than 5 mins.

V-four, did you remove the radiator screen to paint it? I need to do mine.
Damn.. sorry i missed this,

No, i was gonna, as i think the green with black or silver actually. Woulda looked killer.
Tried to remove those stupid holder downer things, and ..no way theyd go back. SO, i just painted em.

In future if i wanna change, ill get new "clampity kabobs"- im almost certain thats the tech term. Lol.

BUT, this will keep peoples mind off it.. i hope...:

20210803_182439.jpg20210803_182547.jpg

20210803_182557.jpg

Fck HATE POSTING ON FONE!!!

AND THE Filling of the STOOOPID silver non reflector "thing" next to the reflector thing.

20210803_183559.jpg

T$

Last edited:
Done tryin to edit this fckin sht. Jeeso freek.

Point: 3 days more body work than paint on this thing. MOST dont get what that means.
(And on a max..lol).

The discriminating eye will know, when its done, but.. i want the cred on the way, plus, its not " what u do to vmax over the summer, or last 5 summers..
;)

T$

Got the LiL' Boss going today. Runs fine but I'm going to pull the carbs and do them the right way. Also need to install the Starter Clutch. While doing that I'll install a NEW Master Slave. That'll be next week. Going to Houston this weekend and anyway it's SOooo damn hot done here, I don't feel up to doing anything for awhile.

Attachments

• P8030006.JPG
    P8030006.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 11
Damn.. sorry i missed this,

No, i was gonna, as i think the green with black or silver actually. Woulda looked killer.
Tried to remove those stupid holder downer things, and ..no way theyd go back. SO, i just painted em.

In future if i wanna change, ill get new "clampity kabobs"- im almost certain thats the tech term. Lol.

BUT, this will keep peoples mind off it.. i hope...:

View attachment 78740View attachment 78741

View attachment 78742

Fck HATE POSTING ON FONE!!!

AND THE Filling of the STOOOPID silver non reflector "thing" next to the reflector thing.

View attachment 78743
I suspect you're referring to the friction disc/internal-star washers (commonly-called 'push-pin washers') which grip a stud to hold the screen in-place? I have a pair of duckbill pliers which work pretty-well to remove 'em. They often break trying to disassemble the parts. I've seen them at the local Ace Hardware in different sizes. Upholsterers use them for trim pieces.

VMax radiator trim.01.jpgVMax radiator trim screen fastener.jpg

What you did to the radiator bezel pieces is akin to what was a popular modification to the hood of a '36 Ford: to 'bullnose' it, so it presented a smooth front of the hood instead of having a chrome trim piece there.

This duckbill plier, with its parallel-jaws, is a step-above the common single-pivot duckbill plier. $21.
https://www.riogrande.com/product/D...CF2xsbIt8WDzGeVejARoCcCsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
A box of 50 is at NAPA in 3/16" for $6.49. A lifetime supply! I didn't measure the studs, NAPA has other sizes.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...P1Ftz-Iil235zFbU9RoC6eMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&
I agree, matte black or a silver color would look good for the screen in that radioactive green surround.

Last edited:
Took the whole damn thing apart to put in some Chinese halos, then decided that I didn’t want to cut up my harness. Plus the ebay halos looked like crap when I tested them. Got mad and will just wait till Kemp has some more kits. Will put it back together tomorrow.

I suspect you're referring to the friction disc/internal-star washers (commonly-called 'push-pin washers') which grip a stud to hold the screen in-place? I have a pair of duckbill pliers which work pretty-well to remove 'em. They often break trying to disassemble the parts. I've seen them at the local Ace Hardware in different sizes. Upholsterers use them for trim pieces.

View attachment 78746View attachment 78747

What you did to the radiator bezel pieces is akin to what was a popular modification to the hood of a '36 Ford: to 'bullnose' it, so it presented a smooth front of the hood instead of having a chrome trim piece there.

This duckbill plier, with its parallel-jaws, is a step-above the common single-pivot duckbill plier. $21.
https://www.riogrande.com/product/D...CF2xsbIt8WDzGeVejARoCcCsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
A box of 50 is at NAPA in 3/16" for $6.49. A lifetime supply! I didn't measure the studs, NAPA has other sizes.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...P1Ftz-Iil235zFbU9RoC6eMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&
I agree, matte black or a silver color would look good for the screen in that radioactive green surround.

Yea, thats them. Ive taken these types off before, and the get loose after a few times. Better to replace. My local Ace has them.

When I was blast strippin the ol crusty paint off the radiator sides, black paint came off the screens and they looked Nice, all sorta bright metal colored, and the rest was black.

I think Ill strip em eventually, and do em silver/chomey/metallic.

Havin them the same as the nice paint job color just makes ME look lazy. Lol.

T$

The radiator mesh inserts and the grille mesh front-piece are definitely good candidates for powder coating. I've painted them before after bead-blasting, and while it lasted a few years, I think next-time I do 'em, I'm going to have 'em powder-coated, which I suspect will be longer-lasting. Black will be a subtle contrast, while silver is higher-contrast, either should be a handsome addition. I think I'd try to match them to something-else, like the scoops' grille color, maybe the carriers for the disc brake rotors.

Ok.

Speaking of filling and bodywork..
For my next trick...

20210719_184339.jpg

This "USED to" have some holes in it.
And a yoooge recessed rectangle where a reflector woulda been.

(Keep in mind, this max had NO rear fender when I got er, just a giant rectangle incandescent [chrome] light where the reflector woulda been.)

Now smoove like Butta.

20210722_172012.jpg

Pictured in grey primer., but is currently Silver, just dont have photo.
Now that its smooth and clean, I can cover most of it with a 1" x 5" LED. With Run/Stop/Turn Signals. ;)

T$

Last edited:
What are you using for filler? Are you removing the plastic chrome to better bed/bond the filler?

We have billet versions of that? With the pocket or without. With or without engraving too.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200209_134345.jpg
    IMG_20200209_134345.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200730_155328.jpg
    IMG_20200730_155328.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200730_155333.jpg
    IMG_20200730_155333.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20201222_202706012.jpg
    PXL_20201222_202706012.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20201222_202739787.jpg
    PXL_20201222_202739787.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
Could you guys steer me to a thread here that shows the starter clutch replacement? I YouTubed it and only found a Japanese vid. Watched it and pretty interesting, but I don't understand a word.
Thank You

Last edited:
Could you guys steer me to a thread here that shows the starter clutch replacement? I YouTubed it and only found a Japanese vid. Watched it and pretty interesting, but I don't understand a word.
Thank You
Lol.

Hi. I'm not very good at finding the past posts, and I'm sure plenty of people will help you out on that. But have you considered whatever is happening to your starter clutch that it may be a weak battery. A while ago I was getting problems with mine, guy on here suggested the battery causes clunking, replaced the battery and have not had the problem again.

It's just incase mate, better to know than not.

By the way; I like your definition of BLM, nice.

Lol.

Hi. I'm not very good at finding the past posts, and I'm sure plenty of people will help you out on that. But have you considered whatever is happening to your starter clutch that it may be a weak battery. A while ago I was getting problems with mine, guy on here suggested the battery causes clunking, replaced the battery and have not had the problem again.

It's just incase mate, better to know than not.

By the way; I like your definition of BLM, nice.
Battery is new and only takes a little bit with the trickle charger to bring it up to par. The loud clunking doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes with just half a turn the bike cranks right up. Also changed the starter.. The old one was dragging and made the clunking more often... 👍 Thank You

What are you using for filler? Are you removing the plastic chrome to better bed/bond the filler?

Well, It was interesting.. Years back I had grtit blasted the strange "paint" that was all scratched, only to reveal this odd, yet better looking "aluminum" or fake crome or wtf ever it was.

Then the other week I went to fill it (using bondo ;) ). it seemed like REAL metal of some sort, rather than the "fake Chrome" I thought it was.

After sanding into it, I through a meter on it, and Ill be, she conducts electricals. I don't think I knew that they can put REAL metal plating on Plastic. But there it was. Bondo'd er up, sanded er down... (rihgt through the bondo Ill add 😤 .), added more bondo, sanded down, and shaped perfectly , just like the original - TADA!! . And THEN realized (yesterday) I shoulda sanded it flat, as that is the shape of the light that is going there.. 🤦‍♂️

We have billet versions of that? With the pocket or without. With or without engraving too.

Why does that not surprise me.? 🙄
Probably cost less than my man hours of bondo/sanding/bondo/sanding/Primer/sanding/painting/painting/clearing...(or something around that order.)

And the profile is flat too, isn't it?.. just like I needed.

How much for suttin like that?

T$

In the process of changing out the Starter Clutch. Look what I found. Seems like I'm not the only one that buys at Harbor Freight. Being a barn find, I figure the rats got to the harness and this was their quickie fix. Haven't decided if I'll make it right or not. works okay as it is but, I'm not crazy about half-A$$ work. Maybe the correct harness connectors needed can be gotten...🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• P8050016_LI.jpg
    P8050016_LI.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back