What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like That? I was going to say I see your from Glasgow! I'm very interested in history to about 1800s I guess. So I have became really interested in My Name Sake the last few years. I am Clyde the 4th and my boy is the 5th . I am just starting a 23andme profile to search for my Roots My real Roots. And it seems late maybe from late late 1700s Thur the early to mid 1800 my Blood traveled from Glasgow to America Via Virginia and settled in Columbia Tenn. Where they was known to be extensive land owners that didn't particularly enjoy The Gov. In their business. My uncle times I think 6 was James K Polks Lawyer. The Porter Brothers there was 3 or 4 I can't remember but they built the Jail in Columbia TN and it still stands today. Empty of course but the Block Rock they set is still up. Do you know much of Glasgow History? Sorry if it sounded like a crazy question. Lol thanks for your time......
The name Isla jumped out at me as its (as far as I can tell) taken from the Sottish islands. It is not very common in Glasgow now, but as this is the largest city in Scotland and on the west coast many people from the west isles came here to work and study. The LisMore pub was in Partick is testimony to this. Our family name is unique and was started in Ireland just over 100 years ago, and also disgruntled large land owners that came to Glasgow maybe 1930’s onwards. My late mother studied Glasgow origins and was born in Govan Glasgow, (some say the heart of Glasgow). Unfortunately I don't study my origins. There are some websites here that people post the history of certain areas in Glasgow, they are interesting. I can forward you the links to them if you want mate. What I can say is that Glasgow people are unique in the world, and Billy Conelly does not need a good written repertoire as what he says is only the truth, my mother and father knew him well. I still get a good laugh here when in a pub.

Nice name.
I'll probably get flamed to hell and beyond but I never understood naming inanimate objects, I mean all my cats have been called cat, to avoid confusion at the vet, they are distinguished by colour ; brown, white and grey. It does not seem to bother them

.... but if you want to play that game, I pretended to call my MGB Manilla..... because it was stationery* (sic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_paper
*stationary = not moving for a variety of reasons.

I'll probably get flamed to hell and beyond but I never understood naming inanimate objects, I mean all my cats have been called cat, to avoid confusion at the vet, they are distinguished by colour ; brown, white and grey. It does not seem to bother them

.... but if you want to play that game, I pretended to call my MGB Manilla..... because it was stationery* (sic)

Man we are all individual so your preference it bothers me Not. Nor does the issue with your not understanding mine. I treat her like a lady No Flaming your good Patate357. But Isla is A Scottish ladies name. I guess it could be boys name to if they need not be distinguished either way I guess. Good laugh though

All my vehicles have names, and I can tell whether they be male/female in an instant 😆. It’s just me I suppose as other people I know do not name vehicles. I see bikes as individuals that have characteristics all differing from each other. My Vmax is named Trigger and is male 😆 without a doubt. Trigger and Isla would make a good couple I think.

I read your link, took me a while to get it, but it’s sank in now 😂 I suffer from lack of sharpness.

I treat her like a lady No Flaming your good Patate357. But Isla is A Scottish ladies name.
I say to guys treat your bike as you would your woman. Ride her as much as you can and give her a good hose down every couple of weeks.

Just in case you are not aware, Glasgow has the river Clyde running through the middle of it, and Porter is a very common name here. It does appear that you have strong links to Scotland.

All my vehicles have names, and I can tell whether they be male/female in an instant 😆. It’s just me I suppose as other people I know do not name vehicles. I see bikes as individuals that have characteristics all differing from each other. My Vmax is named Trigger and is male 😆 without a doubt. Trigger and Isla would make a good couple I think.

I read your link, took me a while to get it, but it’s sank in now 😂 I suffer from lack of sharpness.
I took off work a few days finished my BS list the 2nd day. Boredom I guess sat what better thing to do then Ramble on about Bikes and Life..... Speaking of the Naming of objects I have had a bike I didn't connect with and never learned it's name. lol maybe it's weird who knows? Or Oorrrrrr 🥵 maybe the Folk that don't Name Things that are Special are Weird...... do you live in Glasgow? I'm asking for a specific reason I have actually over the last few years have loosely researching Glasgow, the River Clyde and it's People that call it Home.

I say to guys treat your bike as you would your woman. Ride her as much as you can and give her a good hose down every couple of weeks.

Just in case you are not aware, Glasgow has the river Clyde running through the middle of it, and Porter is a very common name here. It does appear that you have strong links to Scotland.
I do have very strong Links that within my DNA Iiving inside my Genes becuase right down to the draw of Glasgow and the personality of its People. I am a True Respectful Southern Boy that is content in his own Skin but that I have never takin Kindly to any personal disrespect its not an asteem thing at all..... it's a if I can go out of my way to respect andbtry to make a person I Care Not about feel welcome then I kind of expect the same in return..... Scottish folk I guess seem to be of like mind I kind of. Is that fair to say?

My Boy is Clyde Marvin Porter V yup the 5th and he is also a very proud person not unlike my self, Dad, and my Granddaddy. Clyde Porter senior was Killed in 1927 while working at a train yard Clyde Junior my grandfather was only 3.

Do you have a FB page or alike that we could continue this Homeland discussion?

do you live in Glasgow? I'm asking for a specific reason I have actually over the last few years have loosely researching Glasgow, the River Clyde and it's People that call it Home.
yes I live in Glasgow, I was born here and left about 15 years years ago to work in the oil industry, I always missed Glasgow so ended up back here right across the road from where I went to school. No matter where I went in the world working I always missed this place.

I do have very strong Links that within my DNA Iiving inside my Genes becuase right down to the draw of Glasgow and the personality of its People. I am a True Respectful Southern Boy that is content in his own Skin but that I have never takin Kindly to any personal disrespect its not an asteem thing at all..... it's a if I can go out of my way to respect andbtry to make a person I Care Not about feel welcome then I kind of expect the same in return..... Scottish folk I guess seem to be of like mind I kind of. Is that fair to say?
Exactly so, what you give out here you will surely receive in abundance, good or bad.

All my vehicles have names, and I can tell whether they be male/female in an instant 😆.
OK, I gave it some thought and it is less weird to name items than I initially thought. It most likely started with the ancient mariners and seafarers from days of yore (around 1766 or thereabouts) giving name to their shops.

From today I'm calling my favourite mug "Claudia".

OK, I gave it some thought and it is less weird to name items than I initially thought. It most likely started with the ancient mariners and seafarers from days of yore (around 1766 or thereabouts) giving name to their shops.

Aha, a convert, welcome onboard 😂

Just so you know your bike is male.

Aha, a convert, welcome onboard 😂

Just so you know your bike is male.
Brutal you guys are..... No Just kidding pull those things out the Crack. Is it just me it seems for the most part it don't take but a hot Minute for folks to get sideways over nothing. I have not seen it on the Forum just mean life period. I had a Yamaha Virgo it was not what I thought I wanted to say it Kindly. IT!!!!! never got a Name

Are there lots of interstates where you guys are at? Speed Limit 75 sometimes 80 on toll roads.

So there's still Castles standing?
Yes, I walk past Crookston Castle every Friday night going to the local pub, then stagger past it going back home. My brother in law visits the castles round Scotland, takes photos of them and posts them in the local newspapers.

There are many awesome things here, you can go to the Isles and see the oldest standing stones ever that are 5000 years old, the highest cliffs in UK, some of the oldest stones at over 3bn years old are here and were compared to the moon samples, hence why we know the moon broke away from the earth. Jeremy Clarkson went to Cape Wrath (my second favourite place in the world) and said it was his most awesome sight ever. We also have at Cape Wrath the 6 nations (yanks included) attacking Dustic Island with live 1000 lb bombs, low flying jets, helicopters, what a sight. I love the sound of live shells streaking over my head. The list goes on mate, you just need to know where to go, but for sure North of Scotland you can tell your in a very special place.

A pic of Cape Wrath.

Cape Wrath Scotland.png

While looking at info on Cape Wrath, I wondered what sort of topography would be typical of someplace further north, and I researched the Danish territory of the Faroe Islands, 100+ miles north of Cape Wrath. Here is one pic I found, of a frequently rainy, foggy land, which has iconic views of its own.

Faroe Islands Drangarnir.png

In reading about the Faroes, I read that for a long time, Google Street View ignored the Faroes. A local woman came-up with an ingenious way to capture street views, using certain local occupants of the area. Read about how this was accomplished, certainly 'out of the box.' The Challenges of Surveying the Faroe Islands | GIM International (gim-international.com) This was a 'baaa-d to the bone' idea, and now there are Google Street views of an isolated area not previously mapped in that fashion.

Last edited:
A pic of Cape Wrath.

View attachment 81505

While looking at info on Cape Wrath, I wondered what sort of topography would be typical of someplace further north, and I researched the Danish territory of the Faroe Islands, 100+ miles north of Cape Wrath. Here is one pic I found, of a frequently rainy, foggy land, which has iconic views of its own.

View attachment 81506

In reading about the Faroes, I read that for a long time, Google Street View ignored the Faroes. A local woman came-up with an ingenious way to capture street views, using certain local occupants of the area. Read about how this was accomplished, certainly 'out of the box.' The Challenges of Surveying the Faroe Islands | GIM International (gim-international.com) This was a 'baaa-d to the bone' idea, and now there are Google Street views of an isolated area not previously mapped in that fashion.
Thanks for that, very interesting input that I had no idea about. Your photo’s are exactly what the north west of Scotland is at every corner you turn. I never tire of going there.

I’ve camped at Cape Wrath (turning point to the vikings when they came to rape and pillage many years ago) numerous times, its such an awesome sight. The deer 🦌 stand up on the mountains at night watching down on you, everyone that arrives gets drunk and tells their stories well into the morning. And they arrive from all corners of the world to do that. You get up in the morning, strip off and jump in the Atlantic, its freezing but good. You can look 50 feet into this water and see individual pebbles, it is just so pure and fresh. You can dive for lobster and catch your own breakfast. I can ramble all day long about this place as I’ve been going there for 53 years. Only the Grand Canyon surpasses in awesomeness.

Characters you meet up there are just amazing, colin the cave man (deceased) who got postcards from all over the world and all you had to do was write Colin the cave man, Smoo cave, Scotland and it always got to him, sent them myself from all over. Liam who got fed up with his mates stealing his wellies so wrote with paint L&R on each boot but never realised what he done until everyone in the local pub said he had his boots on the wrong feet. I’ve had so many howling laughs up there, and it goes on and on every year. There are places there you look at and realise it has something special, then someone says the black rock you are looking at is 3.5 bn years old.

Back