What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torq-Thrusts?
Yes I'm pretty sure they're torque thrust. I just don't know if they are torque thrust 1's or 2's. I know torque thrust 2's have a cast center an a forged barrel. I have the 2's on my 82 Mustang GT. The only thing that's still Ford is the body, engine block, trans housing an rear end housing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_232136.jpg
    IMG_20170519_232136.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200504_024028416.jpg
    IMG_20200504_024028416.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • d8395f04-2034-41b8-8042-8a4324fabbbaphoto.jpeg
    d8395f04-2034-41b8-8042-8a4324fabbbaphoto.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505-231037.png
    Screenshot_20230505-231037.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230505-231013.png
    Screenshot_20230505-231013.png
    953.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes I'm pretty sure they're torque thrust. I just don't know if they are torque thrust 1's or 2's. I know torque thrust 2's have a cast center an a forged barrel. I have the 2's on my 82 Mustang GT. The only thing that's still Ford is the body, engine block, trans housing an rear end housing.
I may have a '82 GT hood scoop in my pile of leftover parts.

I had '82 and '88 GT's and an LX, I forget what year.

Would be awesome to have some Motion wheels. They kinda look like torque thrusts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230506_114004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230506_114004_Chrome.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
1683422279211.png
A Cobra, or a Cobra replica.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/meet-dragonsnake-the-forgotten-shelby-cobra-dragster-169017.html
Overshadowed by the track-ready 427 Competition and Carroll's personal Super Snake, the Dragonsnake is a Cobra that many enthusiasts tend to ignore. Far from surprising given that they couldn't be driven on public roads, but it's a Cobra that deserves a lot more attention. Fortunately, one of the only five Dragonsnakes ever built has soldiered on for more than 50 years to tell its story.

Meet CSX2427, the Cobra described as "the finest and most correct factory-built Dragonsnake in existence." It's one of only five Cobra Dragonsnakes put together by Carroll Shelby, but it's also the only Stage III customer car ever built. It's as unique as they get, just like the only surviving Super Snake.

The quest for drag strip glory​

Carroll was no stranger to racing. Before he was drafted by Ford to develop the iconic GT40, he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans driving an Aston Martin DBR1. So while he envisioned the Cobra as a road-going competitor for the Chevrolet Corvette, he also wanted a track-capable version.

He achieved his goal with the 427 Competition and the Daytona Coupe, but Carroll wanted to go beyond the closed circuit. So he developed two extra packages for the Cobra. One was called Slalom Snake and prepped the roadster for auto-cross events. The other one went by the name Dragonsnake and was essentially a drag package.

The bundle was made available to Cobra owners, but Shelby also put together a handful of Dragonsnakes at the shop. Six of these cars were built, five fitted with the 289-cubic-inch (4.7-liter) V8 and one equipped with the larger, 427-cubic-inch (7.0-liter) mill. Of the five 289 racers, only one ended up in private hands.

The yellow dragster​

This specific car, chassis no. CSX2427 was ordered by Don Reimer of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The Cobra left the factory in a bright shade of yellow, a rather unusual color for a Shelby car. The finish was applied on Reimer's request, so the Cobra would match his Ford Thunderbird tow car.

The Dragonsnake was raced extensively and successfully in 1965. The Cobra ran 12-second quarter-mile sprints regularly and beat many Corvettes to the trap. The Weber carburetor setup, the balanced front/rear weight distribution, and the lightweight construction made the Dragonsnake a fierce competitor, despite the somewhat small V8.

Reimer's Cobra wasn't the most successful Dragonsnake. The factory-backed cars had access to better resources and scored far more notable wins. But the yellow, white-striped Dragonsnake became a crowd favorite at local tracks in and around Pennsylvania, especially when it showed up to race against the Corvettes.

Sold, restored, and back on the market​

Parked after its intense 1965 season, the Dragonsnake was eventually sold off. The CSX2427 bounced around to several owners before it was purchased by Steven Juliano, who restored it to its original specification. Using original and new-old-stock parts, Juliano returned the yellow Dragonsnake to the state it was when it left the Shelby factory in the 1960s.

Now, more than a decade since it was restored to its original glory, CSX2427 proudly stands as the finest and most correct Dragonsnake in existence. It was featured by Ford during the 50th Anniversary Cobra celebration at the Monterey Motorsports Reunion and won several awards.

57 years old as of 2021, CSX2427 is not only the finest Dragonsnake in existence but also one of the most authentic original Cobras ever built. And it is now ready to find a new owner, having been listed by Mecum Auctions as the main attraction for its Kissimmee 2022 event, scheduled in January.

The dragster will probably change hands for millions of dollars, but the important thing here is that it's finally out of storage to tell the story of the tremendous yet ignored Cobra Dragonsnake.

1683422682997.png

1683422712208.png

Last edited:
https://www.supercars.net/blog/1963-shelby-cobra-289-dragonsnake/

1963 Shelby Cobra 289 ‘Dragonsnake’​

Shelby offered the Dragonsnake as a ¼-mile drag car that came equipped with several distinct racing options. Around $8,000 USD, this option was not cheap and only 8 cars came ordered with the drag pack.
Included was a competition-spec engine, modified Koni shock absorbers, Goodyear Drag Slicks, 4.54:1 rear end, air scoop on the hood, relocated battery behind the passenger seat, heavy-duty half shafts and an NHRA-approved roll bar.
The engine was completed to a very thorough specification. “Every clearance and dimension has been checked and set to minimum specification. Clearances of all bearings in the lower end of the engine have been set for high rpm. All moving parts of the engine assembly have been balanced, including the cam followers, the push rods, the rocker arms, the valves, and spring retaining washers.”
“The cylinder heads are cast aluminum and have lightened competition valves installed. The ports and combustion chambers are not polished to comply with N.H.R.A. rules for Stock Sports class. The cam can be either advanced or retarded to customer specification.”
“The rear and front spring assemblies are modified slightly to create better ground contact on the rear springs and better lift characteristics on the front springs. A hood scoop is also fitted to ensure cool, efficient air intake to the carburetors.”
Shelby offered the car with three levels of carburation. Stage I was a single 4-barrel carburettor while the $688 Stage II option included two units. Only one car, CSX2427, was original ordered with the Stage III Weber carburetor setup which was fitted later to most of the cars.
In total only eight Dragonsnakes were produced by Shelby including CSX3198 which was the only 427-equipped model. Our feature car, CSX2093, is the winningest competition Cobra in drag history and won 7 NHRA National events with Bruce Larson or Ed Hedrick driving. It was offered by Mecum at their Kissimmee, FL Auction on January 26-30, 2011.
1963 Shelby Cobra 289 ‘Dragonsnake’
Auction Sales History

1963 Shelby Cobra Dragon Snake CSX2093 – did not sell for $825,000
The winningest competition Cobra in history. Authenticated and certified by the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) as a true and correct original car. Senior award winner badge and Race car certification badge. National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) record holder in retired classes AA, A, B, C/ sports. Won 7 NHRA National events with Bruce Larson or Ed Hedrick driving. Won the 1966 NHRA World Championship while owned and driven by Ed Hedrick. Undisputed best winning record for the 6 factory and independently prepared Dragonsnakes. Documentation of NHRA national records. Show quality full and accurate restoration by Ziegler Coach, LA. Deluxe side curtains and optional chrome front wire wheels included
Auction Source: 2011 Monterey Daytime Auction by Mecum
1963 Shelby Cobra DragonSnake Costilow/Larson, CSX2093 – sold for $875,000
The winningest competition Cobra in history. National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) record holder in retired classes AA, A, B, C/ sports. Won 7 NHRA National events with Bruce Larson or Ed Hedrick driving. Won the 1966 NHRA World Championship while owned and driven by Ed Hedrick. Show quality full and accurate restoration by Ziegler Coach, LA. Undisputed best winning record for the 6 factory and independently prepared Dragonsnakes.
Offered with full documentation of its NHRA national records, this is not only the most famous and successful of the eight Shelby Dragonsnakes; it is in fact the winningest competition Cobra in history.
Auction Source: 2011 Mecum Kissimmee, FL Auction

Last edited:
http://theshelbycars.com/the-shelby-cobras/dragon-snake-the-drag-racing-cobra/
Here it is.

1683424219109.png

In 1964, Carroll Shelby’s A.C. Cobras dominated the American road racing scene. The Shelby American racing team and independent Cobras won every race they competed in. Shelby intended the Cobras to be street cars and road racers. Ford wasn’t interested in drag racing and therefore neither was Shelby. Along the way, a few of Shelby’s employees convinced him to furnish them a 289 Cobra to build a drag version of the Cobra.

Cobras were ideal for modifying for the Strip. After all the whole car was a hybrid to start with. The all aluminum body was made at AC in England. The engineless AC’s were shipped to the Shelby American in California to receive a Ford Hi-Po 289″ – the first American factory to be in the engine swapping business. Prior to this time, if you wanted a V-8 powered sports car, you acquired a European car and put in your own American engine. The public loved the cars. The A.C. Cobra was an instant success. The drag racing public was accustomed to putting different, read that bigger, engines in cars for the drag strip.

Almost every time the DragonSnake raced, it broke records. The driver, Jere Kirkpatrick, also maintained the chassis. Ralph Falconer, Jr., was responsible for the engines. Together they dominated the A/SP class. Top speed in the quarter for the 289 powered Cobra was 116.27 MPH in 11.81 seconds.
The DragonSnake had to be modified for 1/4 mile drag racing. In the beginning the Cobra couldn’t get traction even with a factory stock racing engine. All four wheels were independent, with springing by transverse semi-elliptic leaves. Weight transfer was the key to getting the right traction. Special drag strip Cure-Ride shocks with 50/50 control in the front and 90/10 in the rear that Up-Loc and Down-Loc on acceleration were installed. In order to maintain proper front end geometry during hard acceleration, the front springs were reformed down 2 1/2 ” at the centerline and lengthened 5/16 ” .

When the Cobra would leave the line, the body shifting backwards on the rear wheels caused the tops of the tires to lean inward, reducing the tire surface area in contact with the ground. The rear spring was lengthened .350″ to prevent the axles from changing to a negative camber during acceleration. Those were the only changes made to the body of the sports car model.

Falconer came up with four engine combinations. All ended up being offered as options on the Cobra roadster.
– The first stage I-D, was the stock 271 HP 289″.
– The same engine with two four barrel carbs, rated at 300 HP, was stage 2.
– Swapping the two fours for four Italian Weber carbs, jumped the horse power to 325, stage 3, III-D.
Each engine was carefully prepared to meet AHRA and NHRA standards.

The last stage, IV-D, had the Webers, a special acceleration camshaft with ported and polished heads. Rated at 380 HP, the IV-D Cobras could only be raced in the AHRA sports car class.

With a 4.89:1 rear end, the stock Ford 289 with Webers, the Stage III-D Shelby Cobra, outran everything on the drag strip, even the fuel injected big block ‘Vettes

For more information, on the Dragonsnake Cobras, pick up a copy of the Shelby American Registry from SAAC and Dave Friedman’s book Shelby Cobra, The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965. The information and images come from the above sources. Friedman was the original photographer for Shelby American. His thousands of images can be found in his series of books on the cars of Shelby American. Invaluable additions to your collection of Shelby American information. The pictures alone are worth the price of the books. Definitely the stuff legends are made of…

Special drag strip Cure-Ride shocks with 50/50 control in the front and 90/10 in the rear that Up-Loc and Down-Loc on acceleration were installed.
I'm no drag pro, but I believe this statement may be inaccurate. The cars running drag-racing shocks with which I'm familiar, ran the 90/10 shocks in the front and the 50/50 shocks in the rear.

What did I do to max today well I evicted some mice taking up residence in the left scoop and in the tail f$&@ers weren’t paying rent and had to go didn’t go through the filter to the stacks was very happy about that no chewed wires or lines should be good to go tonight when I put a new battery in and just for the record replacing the 2014 battery
0A19AC5D-6E06-4490-9BA3-08F66BED6C48.jpegEF809B96-F80D-4734-B2D9-03D93B106B7C.jpeg
Cheers
Peter

I know they sell some type of frequency deterrent that you just plug in. It's supposed to keep mice an other rodents,but I don't know if they work. What Scent Will Keep Mice Away? (7 Smells Mice Hate)
I had mice in my garage that made a pee-covered playground out of my turbo 'Busa that was under a cover...I tried all kinds of things, including a high-end 'noise maker' with randomly flashing LEDs and it did absolutely nothing. Some baited snap traps, sticky traps, randomly placed small Tupperware with peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and 'bait' that they'll eat that drives them to basically 'mummify' themselves from not wanting to drink and my garage is now mouse free. They are a pain in the ass to get rid of but it can be done.

Back