What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today I went out to check my air pressure in my forks and I noticed my back tire was almost flat, I just put new Shinkos on about a week ago and haven’t noticed any air leaking so I spent some time searching for the leak which I could not find with soap and water spray. I did this with the wheel still on the bike, probably why I couldn’t find the leak. I released the air and did some prying with my tire spoon and beat on it with a mallet and it appears to be holding air now, I spent more time screwing around with it when I should have just removed the wheel and put it in a tub of water. I’m now waiting to see if it holds air, definitely will be taking it off if it’s down one pound. I did eventually put air in my forks, so far today that’s what I’ve done to mine.

Did your bead seat evenly? That's why a good tire-mounting tech uses the lubricant, to help the bead to seat to the wheel. Also they clean the wheel of any residue from another removed tire, before trying to install the new one. Debris left-behind, from failure to clean the rim, can cause leaks.

Another place to check is the valve. Do you have a valve stem core remover? Use it to loosen the core, and then to snug it down.

Tires often have some sidewall molding which shows evenly around the rim perimeter, when the tire is evenly-seated. A quality tire shouldn't require excessive air pressure to seat the bead of the tire to the rim.

I cleaned the rim pretty good and used a lubricant to help with the install of the tire, I’ve done this many times before and this is the first time I’ve had an issue. I did check the stem for leakage and didn’t see anything there. The only thing I did not do was put a bead sealant on, if it loses any air over night I will take the wheel off the bike and check it in a tub of water tomorrow. I appreciate your reply, thank you.

Here are some pics of the VMax w/sidecar, note the leading-link front fork. To me, it looks like something Steve McQueen would have stolen during The Great Escape, and tried to outrun the Wehrmacht in it.
View attachment 71013 View attachment 71014
That floating rear fender! I have got to do that! Oh the mod monkey's going ape shit! I've only seen it work with an Otec floating rear suspension kit.

So far today I’ve changed the gear oil, that didn’t take long. What did take awhile was cleaning my tire from when my oil pan slipped from the angle I had it at and a very little got on my tire:( spent a half hour cleaning that off, not something I want on my tire while riding and I’m probably being overly cautious about it but that’s the right thing to do. I also added some fluid to the clutch reservoir as it was pretty low, the reservoir was pretty nasty so I cleaned it out, I’m going to flush the clutch system soon as well as clean the piston rod whatchamacallit. I bought an oil filter for it today and hope to Change the oil and filter today as well. I need to first go ride it and see if my oil light comes on which sometimes it does in the rpm fun range. Being home now I’m getting things done, how about you? What did you do today?

Went out for my first ride on my 2012 new to me VMAX.
HOLY CRAP ! What a machine !
Cutting to the chase, I'm looking to add a small windscreen and move the pegs forward.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings all.
So, where is a good place to go for an actual service manual or PDF? All I seem to see are the clymer books, which I already have, or non specific motorcycle maintenance trying to pass off as Vmax manuals

Thanks in advance.

Greetings all.
So, where is a good place to go for an actual service manual or PDF? All I seem to see are the clymer books, which I already have, or non specific motorcycle maintenance trying to pass off as Vmax manuals

Thanks in advance.

Are you in Florida? Post in your signature area what year bike you have to aid us in data recommendations.

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Went out for my first ride on my 2012 new to me VMAX.
HOLY CRAP ! What a machine !
Cutting to the chase, I'm looking to add a small windscreen and move the pegs forward.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Welcome to the club! There's nothing quite like a Vmax.

I looked at several screens and decided to go for the Puig. Easy to fit and I think it looks the best. It does make a real difference at speed - moves the wind blast from under my chin to the top of my helmet and the acceleration at high speed is noticeably quicker as it improves the aerodynamics (probably of me rather than the bike as I've got high bars).

I made some highway pegs by adapting some engine sliders and adding 2 CMC pegs. Works ok for the occasional stretch but they are at slightly different heights. Proper forward controls are available but I haven't looked at those.

Proper forward controls you say ? I'm not looking for much, but would like more a mid set -up.
You can tell I'm new to the VMAX. Looking to make it mine with all the little mods.
I'm sure once the weather improves and we beat this covid crap I'll get used to the nuances of the new beast.
I will look again at the Puig screen.
Thanks for that.

Good Day Vmax folks.
After all the work I have recently done to get my bike back to operation. After riding, currently at 140 miles trying to make sure all systems are a go, I pick up a nail. It is not in the side, but it is not far from the side either. The tire only has 140 miles on it. I am still considering patching it from the inside. I don't think it will be an issue though. And it is another opportunity to practice my tire changing skills :) .

It is frustrating though, after all the work to be sidelined again until I get this repaired.....

Darin

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_092954.jpg
    IMG_20200404_092954.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 21
I’m a little Leary about patching a motorcycle tire, I’ve never done it and hope I don’t have to make that decision. I just read an article about this exact scenario and they patched it from the inside and said that it’s perfectly safe. Hope it works out for you, stay safe.

We all share your pain. Don't buy a lottery ticket anytime soon.
I drove over a railroad track with fairly new tires and picked up a sliver of metal from the rail .
Rear tire went flat about 1/4 mile later. What are the odds ?

Proper forward controls you say ? I'm not looking for much, but would like more a mid set -up.
You can tell I'm new to the VMAX. Looking to make it mine with all the little mods.
I'm sure once the weather improves and we beat this covid crap I'll get used to the nuances of the new beast.
I will look again at the Puig screen.
Thanks for that.
Yes - it's a bizarre world when a Vmax can only be used for shopping trips. Brings a new meaning to 'fast food' though.

We all share your pain. Don't buy a lottery ticket anytime soon.
I drove over a railroad track with fairly new tires and picked up a sliver of metal from the rail .
Rear tire went flat about 1/4 mile later. What are the odds ?
For this reason, and the fact I feel lucky my tire held pressure untill I got home, I ordered a mushroom plug kit to carry. I already have the sticky string plugs (they were not with me when i got "nailed"), but like the look of the mushroom style more. They seem fairly simple to use a would be cheap insurance if my tire went flat in the road.

As long as there's plenty of meat on the tire, installing a tire repair snake plug will do the trick. I've used them myself over the years with no issues.

We picked up what we thought was a zx6r for beth and when I finally got around to working on it found out it's a ZX9R!! Bonus!! But it's bare right now and was a repo. I got it together and running enough to put it on the dyno this weekend.

Sean
HELP can not sign up on this site, keeps having error

Latest posts

Back