What did you do to your Vmax today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been working all weekend to hand polish my scoops, 10hrs later, bonding experience with my 5yr old (as pic shows:biglaugh:), and lots of work left I am 95% complete. Even painted in the Yamaha lettering. Going to paint the scoop "mouth" black to show off the shine. Pic doesnt do the polish justice for some reason. Will have to see what they look like on the bike and take more pics.

Great picture of the next future VMAX rider!!:clapping:
I am glad to see dads spending qauilty time with there boys!

This deeerves an award !!!

well it was another successful weekend trip this time to Oklahoma and back.
Today I wanted to get the bugs off the max so I went to the car wash cause I was being lazy and I took the high pressure to it and in no time was done. Problem came though when I went to start it back up. She cranked and cranked but would not fire. I gave it some throttle and BANG!! Afer it backfired it started right up and everything is normal again. Once I gave it a dry job out of town and back I took it to the garage and shined it up again. I decided to quit fighting the Kansas winds and put the windshield back on again today also. I don't like the look as well but I plan to ride her alot of miles this years so comfort comes first.
I ended the day giving the wife a ride (about 27 miles) to DairyQueen for supper.:fart:

Bought her a raptor shift light (red LED, black body), the other day bought her drag bars and bar-end mirrors.

opened an additional savings account for future mods like rims and radials, etc...

Well spring is finally here so I finally found the time to start the motor swap. The old one is out,:banana: now I'm just waiting for the solid motor mounts, find someone in my area with a strong back :whistlin: and I'll be putting in the new motor! :banana:

The mounts arrived today!! :banana::banana: I started working on getting the new motor in and what a beeatch that was, especially doing it myself. Finally got it in :eusa_dance: then realized I forgot to order a newer front brace with the hoop around the oil filter :bang head:. I'll have to order one of those tomorrow. The solid mounts are a bitch to get out once you put them in... they fit really tight... especially when you screw up where they go ... 3 times! LOL... :biglaugh::whistlin: Jim, will probably be giving you a shout to see if you can help me with Sean's jet kit.

I modified the stock headlamp inner housing to accept a new style 5-3/4" clear lens ice style headlamp for $30. It turned out sweet:thumbs up:

Attachments

• Vmax headlight.jpg
    Vmax headlight.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 31
I modified the stock headlamp inner housing to accept a new style 5-3/4" clear lens ice style headlamp for $30. It turned out sweet:thumbs up:

Is it brighter?
Does look much better than the stock !
can you elaborate on what you did to modify the housing? And where you got the HL from?

Looks good from what I can see...do you have any more pictures that would show more detail? Can you possibly do a before and after shot at night, showing the difference?? Thanks!!!
+1 to 82nd's comments!

There's a guy that did that here in the Q.C. and said he had to remove parts from the other head light to make it work. Of course the guy I speak of is weird as shit! Are you weird as shit Clay? LOL:clapping:

Buster and I and I'm sure all of us would love to see pictures and how to directions as well as part numbers used when ya'll do these things. This is a neat mod that a lot of people would probably love to see directions for. I know many people don't want to create directions because they're afraid of people doing a similar mod but it would be really nice. Buster set up a forum for it too!

Looks great Clay! You're coming to Topeka right? I'm there if I get my surgery on my back before then.

There's a guy that did that here in the Q.C. and said he had to remove parts from the other head light to make it work. Of course the guy I speak of is weird as shit! Are you weird as shit Clay? LOL:clapping:

Buster and I and I'm sure all of us would love to see pictures and how to directions as well as part numbers used when ya'll do these things. This is a neat mod that a lot of people would probably love to see directions for. I know many people don't want to create directions because they're afraid of people doing a similar mod but it would be really nice. Buster set up a forum for it too!

Looks great Clay! You're coming to Topeka right? I'm there if I get my surgery on my back before then.

That depends Chris.... Crazy - Yes :biglaugh:
Weird as Shit -I don't think so:icon_rolleyes:

The headlight mod was actually a brainstorm I had while I was at a local truck stop chrome shop called 4 State Trucks here in Jo.Mo. They call themselves Chrome Shop Mafia and have a show on CMT called Trick my Truck. Anybody seen it?

Anyway, I was checking out some LED's and chrome shit for moto bike mod ideas and came across some sweet looking replacement headlights that they had for sale. So I thought WTF, buy this and make it work. Well, make it work just happened to be a bitch, but well worth it in the long run.

I had to remove the headlight "lens only" from the support frame-bezel to utilize it with the new headlight. In other words, demolish the stock lens and attach the old inner housing to the new headlight via tin snips and file for chopping. Then it was epoxy to adhere the old to the new.

I can't tell if its much brighter than the stock lamp. But I do know that its a much crisper light.

Sorry that I didn't take notes and that I didn't write a book on it. I just do crazy mod shit like this and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Fortunately, I got lucky and this one worked out.

I do hope to make it to Tokeka in June, Chris. It really all depends on the moonlighting moola.:ummm:

Thanks for the kudos guys. This is one hard group to gain respect from, for sure:confused2:

Attachments

• My V-Max 016.jpg
    My V-Max 016.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 27
Well today i STARTED AT 6:30 AM and found that you cannot fit a front brake caliper to the rear so I cleaned up the old one and fitted new pads[EBC].I also fitted a small Harris Racer fairing because I fitted acebars upside down and the old fairing doesn't fit anymore.Went for a ride and now Ineed rearsets because the bars are so far forward and my legs feel cramped so has anyone have a second hand set for sale:icon_rolleyes:

Today I did the slice fix and exhaust mod for stock exhaust. I decided to tap out the old rivets so I can use either button head or socket head bolts to hold the chrome end cap on. I plan on shimming it out 1/4" or about 3 washers thick. Caps are left off for now until I can locate correct tap, and bolts in this one horse town I live in.
On Friday dropped my front tire off to get new one installed. I picked up a fuel filter and ordered oil and dust seals, and "o" ring for the air tube so I can install Progressive lowering fork spring.
I also stopped by Walmart and picked up Rotella 15w40 oil for engine and Mobil1 75w-90 gear oil. Also some brake cleaner so I can clean up the calipers before installing EBC HH front brake pads.

Last edited:
- changed the oil @ 300 miles, Castrol half-synthetic 10w40
- installed black shorty mirrors
- removed stock grips and replaced with sportbike kind
- replaced stock front blinkers with small white led style
- installed cobra exhaust
- installed K&N air filter
- installed flat drag bars, black ones

Hulign and myself tightened the steering up and changed the fork oil. The oil was definitely due...it was pretty nasty looking. We also raised the forks in the triples about an inch.

Finished getting it together to take out of storage and for a ride :banana:

Mounted the signal light/ tail light bracket and installed rear fender. Changed the oil and fired it up for the first time this year :banana:

Only about +9c and heavy winds so the ride was around town, to the coffee shop and back home.

Did an inspection of the new rear wheel and fender set up and discovered that the new rim/tire combo (18"rim & 180/55-ZR18 Metzeler tire) with 11.5" shocks rubs the inner fender when bottoming out - which is easy on the city streets in Sudbury or maybe it s/b called "Pothole City" instead :bang head:

Changed back to the stock shocks and went out for another ride and I have to say that radial tires are a very nice improvement over the stock bias tires :banana:

Overall a good day!

:cheers: Mike

Finished getting it together to take out of storage and for a ride :banana:

Mounted the signal light/ tail light bracket and installed rear fender. Changed the oil and fired it up for the first time this year :banana:

Only about +9c and heavy winds so the ride was around town, to the coffee shop and back home.

Did an inspection of the new rear wheel and fender set up and discovered that the new rim/tire combo (18"rim & 180/55-ZR18 Metzeler tire) with 11.5" shocks rubs the inner fender when bottoming out - which is easy on the city streets in Sudbury or maybe it s/b called "Pothole City" instead :bang head:

Changed back to the stock shocks and went out for another ride and I have to say that radial tires are a very nice improvement over the stock bias tires :banana:

Overall a good day!

:cheers: Mike

Good to hear that the rear wheel is working out for you Mike

:cheers:

Hey Chris or Buster. I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I got to thinking and I would like your help to make it easier to explain on how to do this headlight mod. However, I will give fair warning though. You have to be willing to chop the shit out of your stock inner lens housing, break the stock lens out of it and even chop on a new headlight unit. I figured its the least I could do for all the info and help I have received on this forum over the last 8 months. Here are a few better pictures of it. Hopefully we can make this work without it being a PITA.

Attachments

• Vmax headlight 011.jpg
    Vmax headlight 011.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Vmax headlight 007.jpg
    Vmax headlight 007.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Vmax headlight 010.jpg
    Vmax headlight 010.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 38
Hey Chris or Buster. I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I got to thinking and I would like your help to make it easier to explain on how to do this headlight mod. However, I will give fair warning though. You have to be willing to chop the shit out of your stock inner lens housing, break the stock lens out of it and even chop on a new headlight unit. I figured its the least I could do for all the info and help I have received on this forum over the last 8 months. Here are a few better pictures of it. Hopefully we can make this work without it being a PITA.

Hey Clay,

We have THIS thread for the how to guides. We'd like to see step by step pictures though so how do you figure you can do this? Maybe someone that wants this done can send you their head light?:confused2:

Hey Clay,

We have THIS thread for the how to guides. We'd like to see step by step pictures though so how do you figure you can do this? Maybe someone that wants this done can send you their head light?:confused2:

That thread page would work well, Chris.

I could always buy a used stock headlight and another new ice style lamp. That way I could make another one for someone and do a core exchange. Although if we have no takers, then its really not worth the trouble IMO.

The only issue I have with the lens mod is that the stainless bezel sticks out about 1/2" more than normal. To add more black and hide the bezel I opted to paint that part and the leading edge of the lens too. I really like it that way cause it gave the light some definition from the front like mascara on the eye :thumbs up:

I called the bike shop to see if my new rear tire was on it yet and it's not. :icon_rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back