What did you do to your Vmax today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I installed my Exaxctrep V-Stax and screen which Bill Kratz sent me. Thanks again Bill. :clapping:

dan

Attachments

• '99 with stax.jpg
    '99 with stax.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to a set of fork legs turning up late last evening ( my thanks to :worthy:eek:ne2dmax ) I spent last night rebuilding the front end. :eusa_dance:

TODAY I went to work on my V-Max for the first time in a month and it is still the best smile generator of a motorcycle that I have ever owned, even though it rained on me. :biglaugh:

Hope you that are off the road and having troubles with your bikes get sorted soon

bye20000.gif

Haven't got it done yet (hopefully this weekend), but am in the process of installing a GSXR 1000 headlight. Am ordering a 2002-03 R1 tail (was looking at an 08 R6 tail but changed my mind) shortly and making a plug to mould a chin spoiler thanks to Maxcruiser:biglaugh:.

Talked to Rusty this weekend, nice guy! Thanks for the help Rusty!

I've spent the last week unwrapping my wiring harness looking for issues. I only have time working an hour here and there due to family responsibilities but oh well...whaddya do?

Anyway, this project started when bike wanted to die at idle...especially when the fan was running. I checked my charging voltage and it was below the minimum of 13.5 volts. Now, I've been reading that the r/r has another function besides charging the battery. Since it connects to the crimp near the battery it also supplies juice to the rest of the electrical systems on the bike. I'm hoping that by fixing the charging system woes my rpm drop goes away.

Tonight I found issues with the main switch and also two crimps. One crimp is where the brown lead branches to the fuse box and the other is the blue wire that branches to the tail light and all the front lights. The crimps and wires were pretty corroded. So snipped, cleaned and butt spliced those.

I'm also taking richwrench's advice unplugging all connectors and cleaning them and squirting dielectric grease in each one. Did the ignitor handle bar control connectors tonight.

Next, I'm cleaning all grounds and testing my R/R. I also need to fix wiring to the main fuse and where the R/R connects to the harness. I'm going to take Rusty's advice and add a wire that goes from the red R/R wire directly to the battery. Rusty, do I need to put an in line fuse in there? I wasn't planning on it but wanted to check first.

Parts of this project suck...especially the soldering. I'm finding the stock crimps are hard to heat up for the solder to flow. So I'm just cutting those off and butt splicing everything w/o soldering.

Parts of this project suck...especially the soldering. I'm finding the stock crimps are hard to heat up for the solder to flow. So I'm just cutting those off and butt splicing everything w/o soldering.

I used a propane torch and some heat resistant blankets to do the crimp mod solder. Worked the bees knees! :eusa_dance:

Thanks Chris. I was going to hit Harbor Freight for a pencil torch but was worried about the 2000*F damaging something. How did you keep it from melting the wire insulation near the crimp?

Thanks Chris. I was going to hit Harbor Freight for a pencil torch but was worried about the 2000*F damaging something. How did you keep it from melting the wire insulation near the crimp?

It hurt it a bit but I taped it up real well then put it all back together and taped it more... It won't be a problem... Just get in and out really quickly.:eusa_dance:

Coolio.

I'll give that a try. Where did you get the heat resistant blankets? Great idea.

Hello everyone. I just picked up an '07 Vmax a week ago.

Tonight I installed the "Sportmax" handlebars. What a huge difference they made. I was a bit skeptical when I unpacked them to see them almost the same length as stock. But as soon as I had them clamped down I could already feel how much easier it was to turn the front end. No more turning the bars just a bit while stopped, and then having to fight them from slamming all the way to lock!

Gave the MAX a bath this morning then shined the hell outa the chrome!!! GF and I are heading to Braums for some chocolate ice cream, yum yum.:punk:

Hello everyone. I just picked up an '07 Vmax a week ago.

Tonight I installed the "Sportmax" handlebars. What a huge difference they made. I was a bit skeptical when I unpacked them to see them almost the same length as stock. But as soon as I had them clamped down I could already feel how much easier it was to turn the front end. No more turning the bars just a bit while stopped, and then having to fight them from slamming all the way to lock!

Welcome to the neighborhood! When you get settled in, you'll have to show us some pics if the new ride. Sounds pretty slick. :biglaugh:

Haven't got it done yet (hopefully this weekend), but am in the process of installing a GSXR 1000 headlight. Am ordering a 2002-03 R1 tail (was looking at an 08 R6 tail but changed my mind) shortly and making a plug to mould a chin spoiler thanks to Maxcruiser:biglaugh:.

Just wanted to mention a thanks to KJ Shover for sending me the chin spoiler awhile back at no charge - I couldn't do much with it, so hopefuly, Jim will get it right.

Mike

Just wanted to mention a thanks to KJ Shover for sending me the chin spoiler awhile back at no charge - I couldn't do much with it, so hopefuly, Jim will get it right.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do my best!! Hopefully will only take a few weeks to use it as a plug with the necessary mods to make the mould. Then can make as many as you want, up to the useful life of the mould (taken care of properly it lasts for years). Thinking of making some out of hybrid cloth (carbon fibre/kevlar) just to see how they turn out, should be bullet proof (pun intended) and fairly light as compared to one made out of E-glass and gel coat. They will require a fair amount of body work as I will send out in the "raw" and as I don't use gel coat for either carbon fibre or E-glass(too heavy and can chip).

Well as I entered the shop today to get my weed whacker out. I looked over at the Max and there she sat over in the corner on jackstands.
So I asked my Lovely VMAX "Why are you like a damn woman" You are expensive, require all of my attention when I am with you, You shake when I ride you to fast, and you break down and wont allow me to ride for awhile if I ride you to HARD!

So I just talked to my VMAX today and asked why she is such a bitch at times, but I stil love her and she has atlasted all of my girlfriends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back