What did you do to your Vmax today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After being in a coma for over a year, engine transplant and general clean-up/touch-up, the beast awakened for the first time yesterday. Man! The hairs in the back of my neck stood up hearing that V4 growl once again!

Still some stuff to take care of tomorrow, but this weekend is already a success! Roll on summer!

Pulled my carbs and adjusted my floats, were off a little but now they are right on. Synced then went for a ride on this start of the soltice weekend.

Alot of fun stuff going on this weekend so I went for a cruise around town and such to have a look see. Got caught in som rain for a bit but it was more refreashing than an annoyance.

Came home and gave he a quick bath and put her away until tomorrow.

Attachments

• Max_1a.jpg
    Max_1a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Max_1b.jpg
    Max_1b.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 15
Now that is awesome,...I had the same thing happin after i got it back together after a long winter ,.and fired her up,...ooouhhooo:clapping::clapping:

Blew it up. 3 miles on new rebuild. #1 ate the sparkplug. WAAAAAAA!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Blew it up. 3 miles on new rebuild. #1 ate the sparkplug. WAAAAAAA!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Oh shit!!! That's terrible news Firewrench! Really sorry to hear it!

I cleaned the engine with a rag and elbow grease for 2 hours.

It looks like the other guy didn't give it much effort.

I may try an engine degreaser too.

Oh yeah, I also used a wee-bit of Sea-foam in the fuel.

Damn Firewrench, that just sucks, I feel for you man.

Mike

I thought I'd show ya's a couple of photos. If you look real close, you can see that the #1 rod is bent clean in 1/2. I found chunks of the valve stem in the header pipe, as well at parts of the piston & rings. This engine is locked up tight. Guess that knock wasn't a loose valve clearance after all:confused2:
Oh well, back to the beginning.

Attachments

• OhNOOOO.jpg
    OhNOOOO.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Oops.jpg
    Oops.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 33
Ouch, Sorry to hear about your loss. I have really started to try and convince most people to re-examine thier engines and think about another option when they have bearing failures. The blocks for whatever reason don't like it.

I wonder if the timing was a bit off in your case which caused the valve to hit and pull it out. That doesn't take long for the carnage to take place.

Sean

Ouch, Sorry to hear about your loss. I have really started to try and convince most people to re-examine thier engines and think about another option when they have bearing failures. The blocks for whatever reason don't like it.

I wonder if the timing was a bit off in your case which caused the valve to hit and pull it out. That doesn't take long for the carnage to take place.

Sean
It's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure the rear cams were dead on. I know my front exh cam was off by 180, I think I either went too far or not far enough to get to the #2 timing mark when installing the cam chains. I had a ton of trouble installing the tensioner in the front head, everytime I put it in, it would ratchet up and take the timing off. I went through it again and again and finally got it to line up correctly. But the rear head went smoothly, on the mark the first time. I had bought the "low mile" heads off e-bay last fall and dis-assembled them for new seals and a hand-lap job to check the seat width, and all looked good, plenty of assembly lube. I don't know, I'm pretty dejected about the whole thing now. Spent every dime I could spare to build it and now it looks like I've got parts to sell. We'll see if an engine becomes available that I can afford. I've still got my original 85 heads that were working so that destroyed head is not that much of a concern, however the crank is probably toast as is the upper crankcase, oil pump and who knows what else. On the plus side, I can tear it down in about 4.5 hours now.

DAMN,......this was hard to read about.
Would it be cheaper at this point to just find a good salvage motor, then to weed through all the mayhem and destruction to find good any thing on the old?

DAMN,......this was hard to read about.
Would it be cheaper at this point to just find a good salvage motor, then to weed through all the mayhem and destruction to find good any thing on the old?
That's the new plan. Gonna have to wait till fire season is in full roar, hopefully get some good overtime to be able to afford anything. Life has a way of bringing you ups and downs, hoping the ups come soon.

Ok, who lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that might be able to run down to Kilgore and pick up that motor? It's a cinch I'm too far away to do it. I asked about shipping but haven't heard back from them yet. He stated in the ad that you had to come "pick it up quick" I can paypal $ today. It would be nice if someone who lives close by could check it out for me. I'd buy ya a 1/2 rack o'suds for your time.

Firewrench: I hope it all works out for you, sad, sad story indeed :(

As for me, my day was much less dramatic. I flushed the fluid in my clutch, replaced my fuel filter, replaced the oil in the rear end and began to wire up my fan bypass switch.
NOTE: When troubleshooting why the damn fan will not start even when you simply jump the connection.... CHECK THE DAMN FUSE!!! *Bang Head Here* That was definitely one of those DOH moments!

Tomorrow, I'll finish splicing in the wires, switch is already mounted and wires run. Then I also need to change the plugs... once I find a plug wrench the proper size. Anyone know off hand if it's a 15mm or 16mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back