What else can I do for the 45mph wobble?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point Dan. Look at Kawasaki...they put a dampener on the ZX1200R right out of the box.

hey abe. i messed with mine tonight as well maybe between the two of us we can figure this out. i am also thinking the damper route..

i tried the rear axle nut at everything b/t 30 and 100 ft lbs in about 7 lbs increments, no help. i tried messing with my steering head nuts, but no real luck. i think i now have a 45 mph wobble and a slow speed weave.. can that even happen! next up is to dis-assemble the front end again and try chris' idea of moving the washer from b/t to on top of the nuts. chris, can you give a little more detail on that? is the furbur fix any better? maybe i should try a washer instead?

Good point Dan. Look at Kawasaki...they put a dampener on the ZX1200R right out of the box.

I'm a firm believer of tune it out. I've had tank slappers (not the little head shake people get from going over something in the road wrong, full on bars hitting tank, can break your wrists slappers) and I'm pretty firm in the opinion there is something else wrong that causes them. Even the shake is something being wrong or rider input. A damper can mask other symptoms.

Is there a steering dampener available for the max? I would buy that last tuesday!

Well... thought the Vmax crowd was different than the sportbike riders :rofl_200:

Max does'nt need a damper

Like I said above, I don't think many need them. The only bike I own that has one is my R1, and it's the factory one. The Vmax, FZR1000, and R6 (trackbike) do not have one.

thanks everyone. gonna try tonight. ride in felt OK. it also seems like it won't wobble if the bike is not perfectly straight. say i am coming out of a turn and let the engine decel then take my hands slightly off the bars, seems to happen less. it also DEF is worse the lower the gear i am in.

abe does all that sound right?

thanks everyone. gonna try tonight. ride in felt OK. it also seems like it won't wobble if the bike is not perfectly straight. say i am coming out of a turn and let the engine decel then take my hands slightly off the bars, seems to happen less. it also DEF is worse the lower the gear i am in.
Didn't you say your front wheel wasn't quite true? THAT could cause that...

You have to eliminate all you know to be bad and then go from there.

I don't have a shimmy shock on my bike and I have no head shake. It's a band aid and a VERY pricey one.

My SV1000S has a shimmy shock stock which I've left on.

Hey chris, all i see is a link to furbur's site, no instructions on the fix.. i did find these two tho:

http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/furbur.htm

or

http://micro-delta.com/vmax/furbur.htm

since i don't have a washer handy i'm gonna try the second one, which looks like it was maybe the 'original' fix before the washer was available. seems the top nut has to be just about hand tight otherwise it would just push down on the second one more and tighten it past the setting you had just gotten.

It's the first one on the list... lol

Blind much? lol

The second one is the one to do...

Chris

hey chris, abe started thsi thread i've just seemed to highjack it...

haha i couldnt' find the first link b/c i searched 'furbur' and its listed as 'furber'. didn't even think to read the titles haha..

yea my front tire isn't 100% true, and that could def cause the wobble, but i think i remember doing it on my old tires too (altho i can't remember for sure and those tires were shot)

how tight should that second nut be? can't be too much or it'd push down the lower nut more than what you've already gotten tight right?

also whats a shimmy shock? a steering damper?

Yes shimmy shock and damper are the same thing... I like shimmy shock better... lol it's fun to say... hehehe

The top nut can be hammered a bit and then hammer the bottom one the other (looser) way then retest your steering bounce. Then stick the rubber on and then the little clip dealie that holds the nuts from turning separate from each other and then reassemble.

thanks chris. i'll post up some results later tonight..

hey abe, any luck on your end?

Hey Garrett...bring your bike over and we'll put the front wheel from Sallymax on it, nice and true with a Metzler ME33 Lasertech tire.
Then you'll know if it's your front wheel or not.

danny

Hey Garrett...bring your bike over and we'll put the front wheel from Sallymax on it, nice and true with a Metzler ME33 Lasertech tire.
Then you'll know if it's your front wheel or not.

danny

awesome danny.... next time i'd probably be able to make it out that way will be for PCW, maybe we can do it then? (mid july i'm hoping) in the meantime if i try everything else, the wheel can confirm it or not...

my only thoughts are if its the wheel, why isn't it acting up at all speeds, or is it just magnifying something that the vmax is susceptible to? i would think if it was the tire it would do it at other speeds too, altho i haven't been able to try 90 - 100 mph yet (2x the speed), and i'm not sure about taking my hands off the bars at that speed, that seems like a dumb idea, but i can at least test if theres a hands-on wobble on accel or decel

awesome danny.... next time i'd probably be able to make it out that way will be for PCW, maybe we can do it then? (mid july i'm hoping) in the meantime if i try everything else, the wheel can confirm it or not...

my only thoughts are if its the wheel, why isn't it acting up at all speeds, or is it just magnifying something that the vmax is susceptible to? i would think if it was the tire it would do it at other speeds too, altho i haven't been able to try 90 - 100 mph yet (2x the speed), and i'm not sure about taking my hands off the bars at that speed, that seems like a dumb idea, but i can at least test if theres a hands-on wobble on accel or decel

If it's a harmonics thing, 45 mph could be the point where the resonance is building the most, thus a wobble.

Of course, that's just an "off the cuff" idea and very possibly, completely wrong.

Latest posts

Back