What else can I do for the 45mph wobble?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my tire is pretty damn new, but i may still try danny's to get a better reading... i will try dropping the pressure to spec too and see if it stays the same. i have a feeling it will....

i think it still might be the shinkos runout is contributing...

dropped the pressure back down to 33. still stable as a rock esp in 3rd gear and up.

40 in the front and 42 in the back cold works for me..... Only time i have ever had that 40 to 45 mile an hour wobble was with low air in the front tire...

not sure if this link has been posted but its an excellent read on the vmax front end.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxshakes.htm

Dont forget many of the specs in the service manual are not even close...

yea i've tried that procedure as well. better, but not 100% fixed.

brian, what have u done so far?

i'm actually looking at a damper again b/c i may get a good deal with a money back guarantee.

I have done nothing but research yet. I just got the bike a couple weeks ago. 2003 model with 14.8k on it. Original front tire allegedly and that is going to be my first concern next riding season. Fork psi is the same, blah blah blah. It's odd how the wobble is left to right and not up and down like an out of balance tire would normally feel.

Anyway, I have only put 60 or so miles on it, currently waiting for my Odyssey battery delivery tomorrow.

So at this time, I am reading the forum and storing all the info in my brain for now.

Brian

Do the bounce test to check out your steering bearing. Put the bike on its center stand, and put a jack under the motor to raise the front wheel off the ground. Hold the handle bars straight, then let them fall to one side. If they bounce off the stops the bearings are too loose and need tightening up. They should come down against the stops smoothly but not bounce off. There are lots of threads here explaining the procedure.

Bearings out of adjustment are 90% of the wobble problems on the max, the other 10% being those same bearings being damaged. While the front wheel is in the air, turn the bars to both side carefully feeling for any roughness or grinding. If you feel ANY, steering bearings need replacing.

Max is a vey heavy bikes, and those steering bearings take a lot of pressure. If the bike does a lot of wheelies, the bearings go out of adjustment way faster, so with almost 15k miles on yours, they most likely need tightening.

Between the swing arm, bearings and tires looks like a lot of trouble shooting.

I notice wobble around 40-45 as well when I take my left hand off handle bar going straight still holding throttle speed. Put left hand back on handle bar and wobble goes away.

Any recommendation :confused2:

#1 what is your front tire, and what state is it in?

#2 do the bounce test - it's more than likely you simply need to tighten your head bearings a little

#3 do yourself a favor and check your head bearings properly. In order to REALLY feel any rouughness in the bearings, you must remove at least your front wheel, preferably take the forks off too, then go lock to lock on the steering.

You'll see what I mean if your head bearings are shot (most are after a few years / miles - this is one m@@@@@@ing heavy bike and everytime you hit the brakes hard the head bearings take a good beating)

(most are after a few years / miles - this is one m@@@@@@ing heavy bike and everytime you hit the brakes hard the head bearings take a good beating)

or wheelies with hard landings....

peace,
evan...

07 model year

Front tire was replaced on 2/27/11 with a 110/90-18 61H Metzeler, mileage was at 6,018 now has 10,015; so tire has 3,997 miles on it and still looks new. I used dyna beads for balancing.

No wheelies are hard stops, air pressure for this model recommends 35 front and 39 rear which is checked before each ride.

I'd say put it on center stand, use a jack under motor or a fat friend on the pillion seat to raise the front wheel and do the bounce test.
If it bounces off the stops tighten the head bearing nuts until it falls smoothly against the stops without bouncing. If you go too tight you'll know as soon as you ride it - you won't be able to keep it in a straight line (always need correcting).
You can simply use a big screwdriver and a hammer to tighten the nuts slightly, no need to dismantle anything, but of course the right way is to take off the bars and undo the big top nut on the triple tree.

I will say this....I have a new to me 07 Vmax....that had the dreaded 45 MPH wobble. My friend that I went to pick the bike up with didnt make me feel any better by saying that it had a "death wobble" to it, but I wanted the bike so I bought it. (Ive wanted a Vmax since 99)

Researched the wobble, bought a spanner wrench off of ebay, found Sean's video on youtube, tightened up the stearing head bearings half a turn (took it out for a ride, and still had a bit of a wobble) so tightened it up another quarter of a turn. PROBLEM FIXED. Sometimes it really is that simple.

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my '04. Had a wobble in the front wheel when slowing down and passing through 40 - 50 Mph. I checked everything mentioned here but did not fix the problem. I fixed it by accident one day when I removed my aftermarket windshield. With the windshield off the bike there is no wobble. Not sure if you have an aftermarket windshield or not but it is worth a try.

I will say this....I have a new to me 07 Vmax....that had the dreaded 45 MPH wobble. My friend that I went to pick the bike up with didnt make me feel any better by saying that it had a "death wobble" to it, but I wanted the bike so I bought it. (Ive wanted a Vmax since 99)

Researched the wobble, bought a spanner wrench off of ebay, found Sean's video on youtube, tightened up the stearing head bearings half a turn (took it out for a ride, and still had a bit of a wobble) so tightened it up another quarter of a turn. PROBLEM FIXED. Sometimes it really is that simple.

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
Yes it is, glad you were able to get it sorted!

Back