what gear am I in??????????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatslide

Reaction score
I wouldn't need to think twice if I installed a digital gear display. Is there a brand that is compatible with gen 1 MAX? I'm wondering.................

If you have to think twice in the first place, you haven't owned the bike long enough :p

(If there was a nice plug and play unit I would totally buy one tho)

Wouldn't you know it. Prezmek and I did make a couple of them. I have one on hand actually but will probably be using it on my bike. I have another electrical engineer here looking into it too.

Sean

Wouldn't you know it. Prezmek and I did make a couple of them. I have one on hand actually but will probably be using it on my bike. I have another electrical engineer here looking into it too.

Sean

There are a couple of ways to make a control unit for led display.
I took the simplest way with diode matrix control.
Its very cheap way tho.

At last years VMOA Spring Icebreaker Damon had his Vmax with a setup from a RS/ Venture that had the connectors that would output the current gear location. I think he said I could order the RS/ V harness and bolt it on but would have to figure out how I wanted it displayed. I was thinking a 6 LED light module on the lower dash would be good.

I would probably pick one up if they were available, but honestly I can tell what gear the bike is in by looking at the speed and tone of the motor.

My Magna had an "OD" light that came on when it was in 6th, that was kind of handy since it had a pretty close ratio box.

Yes, over all speed and revs can tell me where I'm at. My motivation to post this question? I saw a couple of these advertised yesterday, but apparently for bikes with electronic speedo's.

Not for nothing, my BMW K bike has a gear display window, and it's a nice feature. All for now....

Ya know, I hand out the shit but it just occurred to me that I have on occasion tried to shift into top gear and was already there. Quite often after I swapped my stock rear back from the venture. Max needs a 6th that's all there is to it. Kinda bummed the Gen II didn't get one.

I used to search for a sixth gear all the time but now that I have the OD 5th gear installed I've done it only once or twice in almost 3000 miles. I also use 4th gear more than ever now too at speeds lower than 60 mph while cruising.

Ya, kinda strange the Max didn't get a 6th. It's competitor/predecessor V65 Magna had a 6 speed, overdrive box. Even the baby V30 got 6 gears. I used to frequently try for 6th after riding the Magna but not so much anymore....used to it, even though the V30 turned about 6000 RPM at 70mph in 6th, and the Venture drive Max does about 4400 in 5th.

Yup, ya sucked me in to the sixth gear vortex field. My Aprilia and my Honda EACH feature six speeds. My BMW is a five speed, though as earlier written, I can see when I'm in fifth gear and I try hard to remember not to fish for sixth.

The MAX really ought to have been designed with a six speed gearbox, or so I think now and again...............

It would be fairly simple to add an LED gear indicator to the 1st gen max engines by using Yamaha part number 41R-82540-02-00. This is a 6 position indicator switch that is used on 1st gen Venture Royales. Indicator switches are same mounting profile.

1st picture shows the 6 position indicator switch and 2nd picture shows the neutral only indicator switch from a Venture 1200 engine. 6 position switch actually has seven contacts, but with only 6 being used.

With the 6 position indicator switch, you could run a wire for each desired gear position to dash area and trigger an LED. Indicator switch supplies a ground signal for each gear position.

I have done this to mine. I only use 3 LED's, 1st, 3rd and 5th. Neutral wiring is same as stock.

Gary

PICT3591s.jpg

PICT3653s.jpg

That's the same sending unit we have used on the conversion we made. But, the ones we had made (and are looking at making more) use a chip and activate the numeric indicator telling you the actual gear and not just illuminate a series of bulbs.

The yamaha sending unit and harness are not cheap though!

Sean

The indicator switch is $53.67 + shipping from partshark.com

They come up on ebay for a lot less from time to time.

Gary

Look at you,DINGY! Good show! I wonder how long you've been running your gear-o-rama? How did you seize upon this set up?

Back